Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 23

Thread: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,709
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,073 times in 719 posts

    Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    New (official) roadmap shows CPU-and-GPU chips coming sooner than you think.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carlisle
    Posts
    4,121
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked
    368 times in 278 posts
    • matty-hodgson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 4GHz (59'C Under a TRUE Black)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2 890MHz (5-4-4-15)
      • Storage:
      • Intel 80GB - Games. Intel 80GB - OS. 1TB Samsung - Storage.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Zotac GTX 275: 728 Core, 1614 Shader, 1340 Memory
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2343BW (2048x1152)
      • Internet:
      • Smallworld 4Mbps

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    how fast is a 32nm i7 gonna be?!
    i wish i could afford all the newest tech when it comes out!

    and what use will a graphics core and cpu core on the same chip be?
    HEAT?

  3. #3
    I R Toff Pandi! TAKTAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vergon6
    Posts
    7,450
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked
    1,013 times in 748 posts
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    Quote Originally Posted by matty-hodgson View Post
    and what use will a graphics core and cpu core on the same chip be?
    Thats kind of the answer...
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

    Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carlisle
    Posts
    4,121
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked
    368 times in 278 posts
    • matty-hodgson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 4GHz (59'C Under a TRUE Black)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2 890MHz (5-4-4-15)
      • Storage:
      • Intel 80GB - Games. Intel 80GB - OS. 1TB Samsung - Storage.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Zotac GTX 275: 728 Core, 1614 Shader, 1340 Memory
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2343BW (2048x1152)
      • Internet:
      • Smallworld 4Mbps

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    but GFX on the CPU isn't going to be very powerful at all.. so what exactly would the gains be?
    gaming on less powerful PC's?
    but still, there's the problem of heat again.

  5. #5
    Senior Member AdamAnubis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rugby
    Posts
    826
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked
    33 times in 18 posts
    • AdamAnubis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-EP45-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel E8400 Stock cooler + speeds
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 2x2gb
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Seagate Barracude S-ATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • VX2240 Viewsoic 22"
      • Internet:
      • 2MB Virgin Media

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    Which is why it will only come in on 32nm. I'm guessing that's why anyway. Less power cos of the smaller die size = less heat?

    I'm wondering now, whether it's worth upgrading to i7 (months off yet anyway for me) or to wait until the next wave of CPU's come in?

  6. #6
    >:( magneticman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    N. London
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked
    17 times in 13 posts
    • magneticman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.5ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3x2gb Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB F1 + 2TB F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU II
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750W
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V2110
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    gulftown oh baby.

  7. #7
    Gundam Infinite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southport
    Posts
    1,647
    Thanks
    150
    Thanked
    122 times in 93 posts
    • Infinite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GD80
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Agility 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 460 SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 650W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ09B-W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • Infinity

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnubis View Post
    Which is why it will only come in on 32nm. I'm guessing that's why anyway. Less power cos of the smaller die size = less heat?

    I'm wondering now, whether it's worth upgrading to i7 (months off yet anyway for me) or to wait until the next wave of CPU's come in?
    If you can wait months then you might aswell wait til christmas. Well thats what im gona do

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    303
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    21 times in 17 posts

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    Simple rule to upgrading:-
    If you need it now, then buy it; if you don't, then wait.

  9. #9
    I R Toff Pandi! TAKTAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vergon6
    Posts
    7,450
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked
    1,013 times in 748 posts
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    Quote Originally Posted by matty-hodgson View Post
    but GFX on the CPU isn't going to be very powerful at all.. so what exactly would the gains be?
    gaming on less powerful PC's?
    but still, there's the problem of heat again.
    Because putting them on one chip reduces the manufacturing cost, which (eventually) will be reflected in the price, and as it is incorporating a die shrink too, it will use less power and spread the heat over a larger area, thus meaning that cooling isn't a problem.

    Also, it allows the basic customers (enthusiasts really are a minority segment remember), to have a better graphics experience without a discrete card, but also has benefits for the enthusiast, in that the GPU on the die can be linked up with a discrete card in SLi/Crossfire/Whatever arrangements, and therefore give increased graphics potential, or, possibly (i don't know about feasibility) but one presumes that in furture incarnations with nVidia onboard, that the on-die GPU could be used as a physX renderer leaving the main discrete card to take the brunt of the effort and effectivly reduce the load put onto the discrete card. (Obviously it is still early days, and i have added mere speculation )

    In essence it allows lower end components to have more features, (e.g. the ever increasing netbook market), without impacting on size (too much ), still a WIP but any progress is (generally) good progress for the consumer market, especially in times such as these, as i would have expected development to have slowed down not increase, but obviously i was incorrect (again )

    If you want to look more into it, a good place to look is at 360's as Valhalla is expected to have a combined chip, which could reduce the console size by upto 30%, and there is alot of information floating around about the benefits of such an action (if it takes place). But CPU + GPU on one chip doesn't necessarily mean rubbish...
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

    Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

  10. #10
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    31,025
    Thanks
    1,871
    Thanked
    3,383 times in 2,720 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    So Clarkdale doesn't have an intergrated memory controller in the CPU? I wasn't expecting that change - I would have guessed the IGP to move to a seperate piece of silicon and stay at 45nm, but taking the IMC out of the CPU and sticking it with the IGP at 45nm is very odd. Might help differentiate lynnfield performance I guess if that is going to have a 'native' IMC albeit it all at 45nm.

    Makes me wonder if Clarkdale actually doesn't have all the much in common with Nehalem after all, instead is more similar to penryn +QPI, for cost reasons.

    edit: holy cow.. anandtech point out something - if you take the roadmap at face value then 45nm lynnfield will be the only 4core (8ht) performance mainstream chip for a while (ie not LGA 1366/i58 chipset) - it's being replaced with only a 2C/4HC part at 32nm.

    I can't quite believe that Intel would just roll over and let AMD take the performance mainstream market, but it looks like that's what they're doing. Unless they're trying a bit of FUD...
    Last edited by kalniel; 11-02-2009 at 11:04 AM.

  11. #11
    Team HEXUS.net
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked
    411 times in 217 posts

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post

    edit: holy cow.. anandtech point out something - if you take the roadmap at face value then 45nm lynnfield will be the only 4core (8ht) performance mainstream chip for a while (ie not LGA 1366/i58 chipset) - it's being replaced with only a 2C/4HC part at 32nm.
    But there's nothing stopping Intel having, say, six speed-grades with Lynnfield, with differing cache sizes as well.

    In effect, I see Lynnfield take over from Core 2 Quad on a like-for-like basis. Expect to see a glut of processors, just as we do now, so nothing's really changed?

  12. #12
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    31,025
    Thanks
    1,871
    Thanked
    3,383 times in 2,720 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarinder View Post
    But there's nothing stopping Intel having, say, six speed-grades with Lynnfield, with differing cache sizes as well.

    In effect, I see Lynnfield take over from Core 2 Quad on a like-for-like basis. Expect to see a glut of processors, just as we do now, so nothing's really changed?
    I can see an initial spread of speeds, but then what? If Intel are pushing forward the drop to 32nm for economic reasons (makes sense) then it seems the lynnefield line will be a relatively short run - possibly constrained in order to avoid competing with i7 - without even a penryn equivalent to follow up.

  13. #13
    Ninja Noxvayl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In the shadows
    Posts
    2,451
    Thanks
    748
    Thanked
    215 times in 173 posts
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    Because putting them on one chip reduces the manufacturing cost, which (eventually) will be reflected in the price, and as it is incorporating a die shrink too, it will use less power and spread the heat over a larger area, thus meaning that cooling isn't a problem.

    Also, it allows the basic customers (enthusiasts really are a minority segment remember), to have a better graphics experience without a discrete card, but also has benefits for the enthusiast, in that the GPU on the die can be linked up with a discrete card in SLi/Crossfire/Whatever arrangements, and therefore give increased graphics potential, or, possibly (i don't know about feasibility) but one presumes that in furture incarnations with nVidia onboard, that the on-die GPU could be used as a physX renderer leaving the main discrete card to take the brunt of the effort and effectivly reduce the load put onto the discrete card. (Obviously it is still early days, and i have added mere speculation )
    Sorry I just couldn't help myself, had to correct you on your proposed speculation.

    Intel own Havok physics outfit and AMD have joined the fold supporting Havok physics. I'd have to say that a more realistic speculation would be that the on die GPU from Intel would support Havok physics instead of the nVidia PhysX. The feud between nVidia and Intel also should lead you to believe Intel have no intention of helping nVidia in any way.

    With Havok Physics being a free tool to be used by gaming developers and the likes of the Source graphics engine utilising Havok physics you have to favour Havok for the future.

    Again its speculation but you'd expect hell to freeze over before Intel and nVidia have a partnership which diminishes a company Intel owns.

  14. #14
    I R Toff Pandi! TAKTAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vergon6
    Posts
    7,450
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked
    1,013 times in 748 posts
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    Quote Originally Posted by ExHail View Post
    Sorry I just couldn't help myself, had to correct you on your proposed speculation.

    Intel own Havok physics outfit and AMD have joined the fold supporting Havok physics. I'd have to say that a more realistic speculation would be that the on die GPU from Intel would support Havok physics instead of the nVidia PhysX. The feud between nVidia and Intel also should lead you to believe Intel have no intention of helping nVidia in any way.

    With Havok Physics being a free tool to be used by gaming developers and the likes of the Source graphics engine utilising Havok physics you have to favour Havok for the future.

    Again its speculation but you'd expect hell to freeze over before Intel and nVidia have a partnership which diminishes a company Intel owns.
    Ahh, but if (specutivly [sp?]) VIA and nVid teamed up and created and integrated solution (fat chance, with via and S3...) then physX would be on the cards (and grossly irrelevant as the thread is about Intels plans...)

    But you are correct

    It would have been better to use Intel + Larrabee as the example, or AMD + ATi, but either way you look at it, nVid get the cold shoulder in the end...
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

    Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

  15. #15
    Getting old...
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    You Want To Ask That?
    Posts
    2,569
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked
    93 times in 89 posts
    • UseItNow's system
      • Motherboard:
      • It's holding everything together!
      • CPU:
      • It's in my PC
      • Memory:
      • It's remembering, alright?
      • Storage:
      • It's a hard drive, what more do you want?
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Cr*p, there I said it!
      • PSU:
      • It's old and juicy!
      • Case:
      • Bog standard!
      • Operating System:
      • You Got To Ask? I'm here at Hexus because of it!
      • Monitor(s):
      • Big Enough, Yay For Me!
      • Internet:
      • Hell if I know, care anymore?

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    Looks like a new build is on it's way in Q3.....time to bring out the wallet.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts
    • cobhc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel G0 Q6600 @ 3.2GHZ (400x8)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 2GB Corsair DDR2-800 C5
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Crucial M225 SSD + 1TB Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 8800GTS (G92) @ 9800GTX+ Speeds
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Tiscali Business Broadband 8MB

    Re: Previews - Intel introduces CPUs with GPUs on 32nm Westmere: Nehalem axed

    Unless Gulftown is at a decent price, then I think I'm gonna be better off with a current generation Nehalem, I don't need IGP and the 2 core 4 thread cpu's are a step back performance wise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 29-08-2008, 02:02 PM
  2. cod4 Thread
    By j.o.s.h.1408 in forum Gaming
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 14-12-2007, 05:08 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-09-2007, 05:22 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 23-07-2007, 06:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •