Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Corsair hits SSD sweet spot with P64 and P128 drives

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Corsair hits SSD sweet spot with P64 and P128 drives

Been waiting for a modest-capacity high-performance solid-state drive? Corsair has announced two.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Corsair hits SSD sweet spot with P64 and P128 drives

I think if the P64 will be over £100 it won't sell. 120mb write is very disappointing....had the vertex ssd without issues for months now (got it for £160 back in the day) and I'll bet 128GB with 200mb/s+ read/write for under £100 will come out this year.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Consumer demand and actual manufacturing prices are changing for the best and hopefully we may see a good change in pricing which would put them about £1/GB which is a premium over standard drives that is well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelv View Post
    I'll bet 128GB with 200mb/s+ read/write for under £100 will come out this year.
    I am sceptical looking at the direction price have shifted in the last 2 months (upward). Some time next year maybe. I'd be impressed if prices drop to even £120-150 by the end of December.

Thanks
    • Nub1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA 680i
      • CPU:
      • QX6700 c Swiftech Apogee GTZ
      • Memory:
      • 4*1 Gig Ballistix
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX8800GTX c D-Tek FuZion GFX 2 Block and D-Tek GFX UNI-Sink
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1000W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241WZ

I really don't understand people wanting these. A case of more money than sense tbh.

You can now get a 1TB drive fro £50-60 and the biggest here is 1/8th of that and practically five times the price!! I know people use them merely as OS drives but if you really want a quick boot time then get Ubuntu instead or just enjoy the extra half minute by putting the kettle on (mine's a black coffee no sugar while you're there or better yet get a cold one from the fridge (yes you can get me one too!!)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Nub1 View Post
    I really don't understand people wanting these. A case of more money than sense tbh.

You can now get a 1TB drive fro £50-60 and the biggest here is 1/8th of that and practically five times the price!! I know people use them merely as OS drives but if you really want a quick boot time then get Ubuntu instead or just enjoy the extra half minute by putting the kettle on (mine's a black coffee no sugar while you're there or better yet get a cold one from the fridge (yes you can get me one too!!)
    Cold black coffee is disgusting!

There are other advantages of an SSD - no moving parts and low power consumption for example.

7. Received thanks from:

Nub1 (28-06-2009)

Thanks
    • Nub1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA 680i
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4*1 Gig Ballistix
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1000W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241WZ

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Cold black coffee is disgusting!
    LOL win (need more coffee), not too fond of cold coffee altho tepid is worse.

Not too sure about these advantages also, lower power consumption, I don't think that's gonna affect your leccy bill too much, even if you are doing your bit for the environment. And seeing as I'd need eight of the larger ones here just to give me the 1TB of my current drive. Has anyone ever worked out how much you'd save?

No moving parts would be nice, a little quieter and maybe less likely to die on us but I can still buy four 1TB drives and image three back ups of my 1TB drive and have better backup potential.

Now if Corsair want to try to convince me, then they can by all means send me some of these drives, it's not like I'd say no. I'll boast about having them on every forum but buy them well... no.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

No-one will disagree with you that SSDs are very expensive per GB.

However, saying they are just for the "more money than sense" crowd is a tiny bit short sighted. SSDs are incredible performers, especially for booting a system or loading apps. Then there is also the blinding fast page file access times. So generally your whole system is going to feel a lot more responsive.

Put them in a laptop and all you have to worry about if you drop the thing is physical damage to the case or screen, you aren't going to get a dead drive because of it. That is also where the lower temperature and power requirements make a large difference. Not to mention that in some situations, a laptop with a good SSD is going to out feel faster than a similar desktop with a normal drive, simply because of the access times and read/write speeds.

Arguing that if you want faster boot times you should use Ubuntu isn't exactly useful and really is verging on a troll statement. I could also boot DOS in a couple of seconds with my laptop but it isn't going to be very useful

While I'm sure Ubuntu or any other Linux is good at what it does and useful, I've tried to use it in the past and never got on with it. Vista does everything I need it to, is reliable on my systems (can't think when I last had an actual crash that could be blamed on Vista itself).

Thanks
    • Nub1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA 680i
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4*1 Gig Ballistix
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1000W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241WZ

The Ubuntu statement is probably trollish I agree. I'm no linux head.

On advice from MS I was told to re-install Vista as it had developed an error so while I was at it I installed Win 7 and Ubuntu. Did this on Thursday last for my first experience of Linux. Have been shocked at the boot and shutdown speeds. I'm still at the "look the taskbar is at the top this is so very daring" stage.

I do absolutely love Vista. Installed it shortly after it came out and stopped using XP almost straight away. XP was also another great OS as far as I'm concerned, I started getting in to pc's with Win ME. So the bar was probably set very low for me.

As I said I have only just re-installed Vista and am currently using more than 35GB and I'm not finished installing all my apps yet, doing this between posts here. Documents and Games go on different partitions.

So I'd have to pay out what will be more than £100 for an OS drive, this really does seem extravagant to me. I appreciate that this is very similar to the "have to buy the best gfx card" feelings so that games play better. As with that I really think the payout vs the payback is totally disproportionate.

Maybe I'm wrong but how much faster can people boot in to windows using one of these vs a fast and cheap regular hard drive. I'd like to see a Hexus review of these drives and find out. Could also find how many (milli)seconds saved with booting and loading applications. If the speed up is like moving from dial-up to adsl then I'm sold but I rather doubt it.

Thanks

How often do you boot up your system these days?

Large Member
    Thanks

The Ubuntu statement is probably trollish I agree. I'm no linux head.

On advice from MS I was told to re-install Vista as it had developed an error so while I was at it I installed Win 7 and Ubuntu. Did this on Thursday last for my first experience of Linux. Have been shocked at the boot and shutdown speeds. I'm still at the "look the taskbar is at the top this is so very daring" stage.

I do absolutely love Vista. Installed it shortly after it came out and stopped using XP almost straight away. XP was also another great OS as far as I'm concerned, I started getting in to pc's with Win ME. So the bar was probably set very low for me.

As I said I have only just re-installed Vista and am currently using more than 35GB and I'm not finished installing all my apps yet, doing this between posts here. Documents and Games go on different partitions.

So I'd have to pay out what will be more than £100 for an OS drive, this really does seem extravagant to me. I appreciate that this is very similar to the "have to buy the best gfx card" feelings so that games play better. As with that I really think the payout vs the payback is totally disproportionate.

Maybe I'm wrong but how much faster can people boot in to windows using one of these vs a fast and cheap regular hard drive. I'd like to see a Hexus review of these drives and find out. Could also find how many (milli)seconds saved with booting and loading applications. If the speed up is like moving from dial-up to adsl then I'm sold but I rather doubt it.
    I have a Corsair P256 and coupled with the SSD improvements in Windows 7 the difference is extraordinary. The ability just to close and open, work with and compile and build apps without a moments hesitiation makes working with the computer (I'm a programmer by trade) a joy.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks

The performance increase I felt with an SSD was the most significant I have ever experienced.

You soon get use to the nippyness and going back to a PC without one is frustrating. A bit
    like going back to having only 2 Mbps broadband after getting use to 20 Mbps.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Absoltely agree!

Even the jump to the ocz economy 30gb in my media pc (wanted it all passive) was pronounced.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Nub1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA 680i
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4*1 Gig Ballistix
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1000W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241WZ

ok, you guys have obviously found a huge improvement with your pc's. Now apart from those like yamangman who use their pc for their livelihood, how anyone can think about paying this much money for a drive that might only just take an OS ?? As for the prices of those >30gig !!

Now maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way. Sure your OS and programs might respond quicker if they fit on the drive. Will data not on the drive be accessed any quicker? So if you are in to.. eh I don't know.. say editing movies, your adobe software opens in a flash but it still has to open your homemovie on your data drive. All saves during your editing would be to your normal drive. Will the ssd drive make any real difference? The same for games, they too would need to be on your ssd drive.

For these drives to really deliver, I think they need to be able to store your OS, programs, games and at least some of your data files. This puts the size of the drive up and makes the price astronomical.

But as I said before I'd love to see the guys here at Hexus do a review and do some comparisons between these and normal drives in a running system. Say a system with one large ssd vs a system with an OS on a ssd and data on a normal drive vs a system with only regular drives. Compare times to boot, shutdown, open programs, carry out intensive tasks like movie editing etc. I think only the first option will make a large difference but at a huge expense. That way there would be real world comparisons and we could see the value of the hexus bang for buck.

Have just looked at the review of the p256. And it does look impressive with boot times half that of a regular drive. Going from 73 to 44 seconds. But game load times only dropped 7 seconds. The other tests, while the graphs are impressive too, are sorta beyond me. But I don't think there is one of us here who could really spot the difference between 24milli seconds and 0.2ms. Are these speeds not too low for us to notice subjectively?

I remain to be convinced, call me a luddite if you will but I don't think I could buy a ssd drive for around £100 that was only just bigger than the drive I got with my first pc 10 years ago.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

you would be amazed Nub1.

We where doing a lot of work in VS2008 and Blend on a 32bit system (its often good to dev on the target platform!). A plugin for VS called ReSharper eats memory, but is totaly worth it for the productivity. Upshot, about 1.5gb before we've even got started.

Having the SSD made these apps feal so much faster, opening a window in VS that requires disk IO took about 50ms, down from 2 seconds. The instant random access performance is great.

Having something like excel open quicker than i can navigate to the screen its set to open on (using a logitech laser gaming mouse!) is amazing.

Even just browsing the net feels faster (ok you can get this by having a RAM disk cache for your tempory files).

Everything feals faster. And ultimately when you think of an app thats doing a say 10 random requests, the difference between 200ms and 24ms is really marked.

You can easily say the same about CPUs or GPUs can you realise notice the performance difference between 3ghz and 2.8ghz? Its very hard to. The difference between a few random requests taking 3 seconds, to < 0.5 second is just amazing.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Now maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way. Sure your OS and programs might respond quicker if they fit on the drive. Will data not on the drive be accessed any quicker? So if you are in to.. eh I don't know.. say editing movies, your adobe software opens in a flash but it still has to open your homemovie on your data drive. All saves during your editing would be to your normal drive. Will the ssd drive make any real difference? The same for games, they too would need to be on your ssd drive.
    You are forgetting that your PageFile will also be on the SSD, so fetching program data out of the pagefile will be a lot faster than it would be from a spindle drive. This makes multi tasking far far quicker, you don't have to wait for that app you were using an hour ago to pull all it's program data out of the pagefile.

Also remember that not all of the program you just loaded is there at first. So if you tell, say, Photoshop to do something complicated, it loads that module instantly. Also that might push something else out to page, so that doesn't cause delays.

Most of this has been handled by faster processors and more RAM in systems. But until now disk drives have alsoways been the limiting factor for performance in PCs. Remember there are people that would have spent £400 on a hardware RAID controller and a bunch of very fast regular drives to get the performance SSDs are giving. They are then saving on power, complexity, support issues, size, noise, etc.

Granted that last example isn't for the average user, but it does make them seem less outragously expensive.

At the end of the day, if you can't justify spending that money on the drive, then it isn't for you. Give it a year or so, and there will be a similar drive for a price you are willing to pay I would bet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information