Thread: News - Corsair explains: why quality coolers are essential for Core i7 PCs using perf

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Corsair explains: why quality coolers are essential for Core i7 PCs using perf

Corsair highlights the benefits of high-end CPU coolers, namely its own Hydro H50.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Corsair explains: why quality coolers are essential for Core i7 PCs using

This is an interesting point I hadn't previosuly considered. On a quick glance the 8-page pdf is actually fairly scant in detail, ill check it over again later.

Were the test conditions such that the CPU frequency remained constant but the memory speed was increased and therefore the VTT was increased to cope with this? This increase in VTT/memoery frequency caused a large increase in power consumption so the tmeperature increased.

If this is the case, then my initial thought would be not to run such fast ram. Having been out of the loop for a while I will need to look up some information. In the past, however, I have found that CPU frequency was far more important than ram speed in terms of performance. of course the cpu based memory controller may change this.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: News - Corsair explains: why quality coolers are essential for Core i7 PCs using

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Infidel View Post
    If this is the case, then my initial thought would be not to run such fast ram. Having been out of the loop for a while I will need to look up some information. In the past, however, I have found that CPU frequency was far more important than ram speed in terms of performance. of course the cpu based memory controller may change this.
    Actually you're even more correct - the triple channel bandwidth to RAM for the i7 is so fat that RAM speed is never a bottleneck, so it's definitely better to concentrate on CPU frequency only as increasing RAM speed hardly makes a difference.

Thanks

So running RAM faster than you need to is going to increase temperatures without increasing performance. This in turn will reduce the maximum CPU overclock which is fundamental for performance.

Seems like a good advert of why not to buy fast ram from Corsair or similar.

Thanks
    • GaryRW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • DDR2 4gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW

I'm betting Kalniel and especially Scarlet Infidel aren't on Corsair's xmas card list anymore

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryRW View Post
    I'm betting Kalniel and especially Scarlet Infidel aren't on Corsair's xmas card list anymore
    I can live with that, as long as I get a birthday card.

Registered+
    Thanks

This just makes me want to buy lower speed memory which will be bad for corsair. Seems this may backfire on corsair

Thread Information