Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: News - NVIDIA's Fermi delayed again

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - NVIDIA's Fermi delayed again

NVIDIA's long-awaited next-gen GPUs may not see the light of day until April 2010.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • GheeTsar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 850 1 TB + 2 x 1TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Radeon R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Tagan TG600-U33 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 24" 120Hz GD245HQ
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb

Re: News - NVIDIA's Fermi delayed again

Quote Originally Posted by "Hexus Article
    According to Chinese newspaper Digitimes, NVIDIA's next-gen GPUs won't ship until the first quarter of fiscal 2011
    Shurely shome mishtake?

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

That's Fiscal year.
    So hopefully Q1 2010, but more likely Q2.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    That's Fiscal year.
    So hopefully Q1 2010, but more likely Q2.
    What do you base this on?

I've got $50 says Fermi is available retail before Q2 2010 if you'd like to bet?

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

I am glad that DX11 standards werent dropped so nvidia could be on time like they did with DX10.

As it is DX10.1 was the original spec which ATI met but Nvidia couldn't so it is dropped, hence why ATI cards had DX10.1.

Will be interesting to see what these pull in gaming, I really don't care about all this GPGPU business.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    ... roughly a year after the graphics giant introduced its GeForce GTX 295, a product that stripped AMD of the single-card performance crown some twelve months ago. Will Fermi be a case of history repeating itself? ...
    Not if the 5970 is already out by then. Let's not forget that last time round NVidia released first with the GTX280, ATI came back with good mid-range parts then the 4870 X2 to take top spot, and it wasn't until NVidia managed to cram two GPUs into a single card (originally on 2 PCBs, remember) that they managed to push past ATI.

This time round it looks like the 5970 will release around the same time as Fermi (if not before it) and NVidia will have to have done something pretty amazing to maintain their leadership...

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

The article states a window till April. April is in Q2.

There have been many articles across the web which have pointed to delays in the release of Fermi, but more tellingly I would point to the market share currently being gained by ATi, the lack of concrete response (other than yours) from NV and the lack of any marketing hype, stats or similar from the green team. Every day lost translates to sales.

Is your post supposed to be jocular ? I am pointing out that were a launch in the offing I would expect members of the NV team such as yourself to be shouting it from the rooftops. Instead "Ya wanna bet ?" comes across as a touch churlish, puerile even.

Happy to hear any evidence you may have. In the past your arguments have been well thought out and presented, I'd be grateful if you could continue in the same vein.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

Oh well, looks like ill just buy that second GTX 260 then
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    The article states a window till April. April is in Q2.

There have been many articles across the web which have pointed to delays in the release of Fermi, but more tellingly I would point to the market share currently being gained by ATi, the lack of concrete response (other than yours) from NV and the lack of any marketing hype, stats or similar from the green team. Every day lost translates to sales.

Is your post supposed to be jocular ? I am pointing out that were a launch in the offing I would expect members of the NV team such as yourself to be shouting it from the rooftops. Instead "Ya wanna bet ?" comes across as a touch churlish, puerile even.

Happy to hear any evidence you may have. In the past your arguments have been well thought out and presented, I'd be grateful if you could continue in the same vein.
    NVIDIA doesn't comment on rumors in regard to release dates, and I'm under NDA so I can't post anything concrete either.

I was merely speculating that I believe we'll see Fermi in stores before Q2, and that I don't believe the Q2 rumors, and offering a good natured bet in regard to the situation.

When you read the articles on the internet saying a product launch is delayed, won't happen, yields will be low, etc it's important to remember that some parties have a vested interest in creating the impression there may be no reason to wait on purchases, or that the wait will be longer than it actually will be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    NVIDIA doesn't comment on rumors in regard to release dates, and I'm under NDA so I can't post anything concrete either.

I was merely speculating that I believe we'll see Fermi in stores before Q2, and that I don't believe the Q2 rumors, and offering a good natured bet in regard to the situation.

When you read the articles on the internet saying a product launch is delayed, won't happen, yields will be low, etc it's important to remember that some parties have a vested interest in creating the impression there may be no reason to wait on purchases, or that the wait will be longer than it actually will be.
    As opposed to some parties having a vested interest in creating the impression that fermi is imminent - imminent since September if you read fudzilla.

April at the earliest seems more likely, and I'd take your bet too but I have no doubt Nvidia will paper launch it before then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo75 View Post
    As opposed to some parties having a vested interest in creating the impression that fermi is imminent - imminent since September if you read fudzilla.

April at the earliest seems more likely, and I'd take your bet too but I have no doubt Nvidia will paper launch it before then.
    Yes, perhaps Fermi will have a paper launch on March 31, 2010 with few cards for reviewers, and no cards in the retail channel. Or maybe Fermi will "launch" in the last week of July, 2010, which is roughly the the last day of 2Q11, the second quarter of fiscal year 2011 for nVidia. Does anyone else find it a bit odd that nV chooses to end their fiscal year in the last week of January?

Also, Rollo, being under NDA doesn't mean that nVidia is not able to lie outright to those who are under NDA. You just can't parrot to the rest of the world whatever BS might they tell you.

For that matter, Rollo, at the time of this post, there are 21 days and roughly 7 hours until December 2nd. I know I'm excited.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by meltedrabbit View Post
    Yes, perhaps Fermi will have a paper launch on March 31, 2010 with few cards for reviewers, and no cards in the retail channel. Or maybe Fermi will "launch" in the last week of July, 2010, which is roughly the the last day of 2Q11, the second quarter of fiscal year 2011 for nVidia. Does anyone else find it a bit odd that nV chooses to end their fiscal year in the last week of January?

Also, Rollo, being under NDA doesn't mean that nVidia is not able to lie outright to those who are under NDA. You just can't parrot to the rest of the world whatever BS might they tell you.

For that matter, Rollo, at the time of this post, there are 21 days and roughly 7 hours until December 2nd. I know I'm excited.
    What is the significance of the 2nd of December???

Banned
    Thanks

Errrr....they haven't lied to me in the last six years, I guess I have no reason to think they've started now.

No clue what Dec 2nd is, but as 5970 X2s seem to be sampled for a while now I'll hazard a guess that's when they launch.

Am I excited for that? No, not really- not like I'll be buying one. Even if I didn't have the 3d Vision stuff, I'd still want the PhysX and better game support.

Long Time Lurker
    Thanks

My money is on a paper launch with gamers not getting hands on cards till at least March 2010.

Also i dont believe it will be that much faster than the 295.

going to be VERY interesting if Fermi can be sold at a profit or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    What is the significance of the 2nd of December???
    I missed it by a day, December 1, is the day new US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) rules take effect and regardless of the location of the webserver, Rollo and those with material relationships to companies, whether employees, or those receiving free items like Rollo will need to be more complete in disclosing their ties to companies and the compensation they receive. The current "nVidia User Group Member" will no longer cut it. The line in the signature may need to have the following added to it: "I have a material relationship with nVidia and I have received the following as material compensation from nVidia: (list of items goes here)". Not explaining what being a "nVidia User Group Member" entails in a signature would no longer be acceptable. It does not explain exactly what the title entails to a reader. I'm going to say that stating the meaning of the title when asked by another user in a post will no longer cut it. Granted, the "Speaking for myself and not for my company." seen in the sigs of many AMD employees would need to be changed to say who their employer actually is.

The great thing is that nVidia and other corporations must police their bloggers and forum posters themselves. These groups would also need to police even those bloggers and forum posters working for an advertising company that nVidia might hire. These corporations would usually be the party who would face fines and law enforcement actions from the FTC due to any wayward behavior from their compensated bloggers and forum posters and employees. The individuals like Rollo, would not usually face sanctions unless there were aggravating circumstances for instance, being a repeat offender after 12/1.

From page 3 of the new rules here:
    http://www.ftc.gov/os/2009/10/091005...mentguides.pdf

Example 8: A consumer who regularly purchases a particular brand of dog food decides
    one day to purchase a new, more expensive brand made by the same manufacturer. She
    writes in her personal blog that the change in diet has made her dog’s fur noticeably softer
    and shinier, and that in her opinion, the new food definitely is worth the extra money. This
    posting would not be deemed an endorsement under the Guides.

Assume that rather than purchase the dog food with her own money, the consumer gets it
    for free because the store routinely tracks her purchases and its computer has generated a
    coupon for a free trial bag of this new brand. Again, her posting would not be deemed an
    endorsement under the Guides.

Assume now that the consumer joins a network marketing program under which she
    periodically receives various products about which she can write reviews if she wants to do
    so. If she receives a free bag of the new dog food through this program, her positive
    review would be considered an endorsement under the Guides.
    Rollo, would fall almost exactly into the category mentioned in the third paragraph of this example. Under the new rules there is no difference between a blog, forum post, or even a Usenet post.

The FTC News release is here:
    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm

It would seem a bit odd if in your position, Rollo, you were totally unaware of the new FTC rules.
    Last edited by meltedrabbit; 12-11-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Removed the more inflammatory bits and tried to clarify a few parts.

16. Received thanks from:

Perfectionist (11-11-2009)

Thanks

Many countries have different fiscal calendars. UK is April > Mar, US is Jan > Dec (if memory serves). I can only guess that they're basing the fiscal calendar around the Chinese new year, which is the end of January.

Alternatively, I could be writing a load of BS in what is becoming a rather agressive forums towards nVidia. Let's not start spouting conjecture that nVidia is lying to us regarding release dates until there is evidence heh? We can doubt as much as we like but still keep it civil.

Bottom line; Will nVidia launch in Q1'10.... The sooner the better in my book as I've 2 home PCs to upgrade to DX11 graphics.

Corsair Air 540, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R9 3900X, Corsair HX 750, EVGA 1080 Ti, 2x Corsair 2TB MP600, 2x 2TB WD20EZRX, 4x8GB Corsair Dominator, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Asus X470-Prime Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R7 2700, Corsair RM750i, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 2x Sammy 500GB 970 EVO, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Synology DS918+ w/ 2xWDC Green 3TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information