Thread: News - Overclocker hits 8.19GHz with Intel Celeron CPU, sets new world record

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Overclocker hits 8.19GHz with Intel Celeron CPU, sets new world record

Fancy 8GHz of desktop speed? Pick up a £25 Intel Celeron CPU and a decent supply of liquid nitrogen.
    Read more.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Re: News - Overclocker hits 8.19GHz with Intel Celeron CPU, sets new world record

Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS View Post
    Am I the only one who finds that less impressive that anyone who has overclocked an i3 or any budget Core 2 to around 4-5GHz, a CPU which is surely much faster and therefore more useful and carrying a much greater "oooh" factor?

A turd travelling at light speed is still a turd no?

Thanks

Re: News - Overclocker hits 8.19GHz with Intel Celeron CPU, sets new world record

Well, the netburst architecture was meant to scale up into this kind of area - Intel were kinda hoping it would, otherwise the inevitable flushes of the super-long instruction pipeline would be something of a drawback... and indeed they were.

But yes, getting i3/i5 up to 4-5GHz would be very interesting indeed, as it's a much more balanced architecture, it seems.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • DevAnubis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M3N-H
      • CPU:
      • AMD X2 4850e
      • Memory:
      • DDR2?
      • Graphics card(s):
      • X1950pro
      • PSU:
      • An all too loud OCZ "Stealth" 600w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300 ow yeh
      • Operating System:
      • Debian!
      • Internet:
      • ADSL2+ tweaked to a massive 3Mbps on a looong phone line

A screen shot stability does not make.

Banned
    Thanks
    • matty-hodgson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 4GHz (59'C Under a TRUE Black)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2 890MHz (5-4-4-15)
      • Storage:
      • Intel 80GB - Games. Intel 80GB - OS. 1TB Samsung - Storage.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Zotac GTX 275: 728 Core, 1614 Shader, 1340 Memory
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2343BW (2048x1152)
      • Internet:
      • Smallworld 4Mbps

2.1v

Might aswell just get a few CPU pins and wire them up to the mains :|

Thanks
    • borandi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 D0 (2.66Ghz) @ 4.1Ghz
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 3x1GB DDR3-1333Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung PB22-J 64GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x5850 in CF
      • PSU:
      • 800W
      • Case:
      • Verre V770
      • Operating System:
      • Windoze XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19"WS
      • Internet:
      • 8MB/448kbps up

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Am I the only one who finds that less impressive that anyone who has overclocked an i3 or any budget Core 2 to around 4-5GHz, a CPU which is surely much faster and therefore more useful and carrying a much greater "oooh" factor?

A turd travelling at light speed is still a turd no?
    Looks like no-one in this thread has heard of Overclocking the sport.

In some benchmarks, it's doing the fastest math computation, or the fastest graphic simulation. In this case, it's just how high can you get the physical frequency long enough to get an official reading. He actually got it at 8.23Ghz, but CPU-Z validation didn't work. It's not for 24-7 use, just a one time verification - that's what this world record is about.

The usefulness of this data usually requires motherboard modifications - data which can be sent to the manufacturers as possible additions to be automatically put on future products.

i3/i5 at 4-5Ghz has been done, as per the overclocking rankings at hwbot.org.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by borandi View Post
    Looks like no-one in this thread has heard of Overclocking the sport.

In some benchmarks, it's doing the fastest math computation, or the fastest graphic simulation. In this case, it's just how high can you get the physical frequency long enough to get an official reading. He actually got it at 8.23Ghz, but CPU-Z validation didn't work. It's not for 24-7 use, just a one time verification - that's what this world record is about.

The usefulness of this data usually requires motherboard modifications - data which can be sent to the manufacturers as possible additions to be automatically put on future products.

i3/i5 at 4-5Ghz has been done, as per the overclocking rankings at hwbot.org.
    Oh I know the "sport"/competition... I just find the fastest benchmark scores from overclocking decent processors in a stable way a lot more impressive than a quick CPU-Z shot of a system which melted down 10 seconds later! Pushing the limits in a useful way seems more exciting to me...

It's kind like Usain Bolt doing the 100m in 5 seconds, using a wind turbine and some sail wings then crashing into the barrier and breaking his legs. It's a bit interesting, but whats much more exciting is when he runs it in a way that's valid to enter the record books, then keeps going and going breaking those records.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

It's a bit interesting, but whats much more exciting is when he runs it in a way that's valid to enter the record books, then keeps going and going breaking those records.
    The only difference being a proper comparison would of been if the rest of the sprinters had wind turbines and sails also. Its not as if this guy is the first to use LN2 etc.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • borandi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 D0 (2.66Ghz) @ 4.1Ghz
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 3x1GB DDR3-1333Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung PB22-J 64GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x5850 in CF
      • PSU:
      • 800W
      • Case:
      • Verre V770
      • Operating System:
      • Windoze XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19"WS
      • Internet:
      • 8MB/448kbps up

Oh I know the "sport"/competition... I just find the fastest benchmark scores from overclocking decent processors in a stable way a lot more impressive than a quick CPU-Z shot of a system which melted down 10 seconds later! Pushing the limits in a useful way seems more exciting to me...
    There are benchmarks to run for both. 3D Mark Vantage puts a heavy toll on both CPU and GPU, requiring stable clocks on both. The danger is, well on air (which most peoples systems are), that you'd be happy to run these benchmarks at a certain temperature, but not 24/7 at those temps and speeds. If you want a 24/7 overclock to look impressive, it's all determined by the users satisfaction that they are happy with their temperatures. Also, every chip is different - even when binned. Two chips in the same bin but from different batches may run the same clock speeds but at very different voltages and temperatures. The person who got the better chip and was able to push his a bit more is the more exciting person? Overclocking the sport goes out of its way to find the good batches, and everyone goes after them, so the playing field is level.

It's kind like Usain Bolt doing the 100m in 5 seconds, using a wind turbine and some sail wings then crashing into the barrier and breaking his legs. It's a bit interesting, but whats much more exciting is when he runs it in a way that's valid to enter the record books, then keeps going and going breaking those records.
    I have to echo Terbinator here - if everyone uses the same method, then the record becomes valid. Using Cascade coolers, LN2, or in some cases, Liquid Helium, isn't new in Overclocking. 24/7 doesn't come into it - it's all about pushing the limits. The land speed record is an example - the fastest thing on wheels, no holds barred. Is it more impressive that a car can do 70mph at 35mpg? Both are examples of superb engineering, but it's the record that gets the attention.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS View Post
    Still doesn't support VT-x!

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Is it not more impressive that he managed to heat the cpu to 200c without killing it!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    Is it not more impressive that he managed to heat the cpu to 200c without killing it!!
    Yeah, probably is, seeing as the substrate glue should probably melt before then... hmmmm

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

I was thinking that as well. I thought most just run a few sessions of Prime and then use the ol' steak knife to pop it off.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thread Information