Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: News - Survey suggests 54 per cent of Britons are considering buying an Apple Tablet

Thanks

Re: News - Survey suggests 54 per cent of Britons are considering buying an Apple Tab

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post

Or maybe the survey was printed on a receipt when you bought a computer from the Apple store?

How very dare you! I don't even go near the Apple store in Birmingham, I start puking. Wouldn't be caught dead in there. No chance, nadda, not a snowballs chance in hell will I ever step foot in a Apple store.

Thanks

Re: News - Survey suggests 54 per cent of Britons are considering buying an Apple Tab

I did - once, and I couldn't help but feel sorry for the people parting with so much cash after being convinced they needed one of their virus-proof, fast, stylish, high quality systems...
    Well, they are stylish I suppose...

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line

My Macbook is plenty fast, stylish and high quality, thankyou

On topic, how large was the sample size? Where did they take it, did they account for lots of demographics? There are towns where 54% of people are struggling to find jobs and make ends meet, let alone drop lots of money on a tablet they don't need. Oh and let's not forget that a third of people couldn't locate their own lungs...

I listened to a great podcast about the possibilities of a tablet yesterday, the guys were saying - correctly - in my opinion that it's effectively Steve Jobs' last hurrah. He's had his finger in a lot of the game changing pies over the last few years. Say what you like about Apple, they know how to sell products. The iPod was revolutionary, there was the Apple II and now the iPhone (actually a nice bit of kit) and of course OS X. Jobsy has been around for pretty much all of that and releasing a Tablet would be a good time to quit. Pricing, they reckoned, would be between the iPhone and the low end macbook - somewhere between $500 and $1000 - pinpointing around $750, which seems like a reasonable price to expect.

Banned
    Thanks
    • matty-hodgson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 4GHz (59'C Under a TRUE Black)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2 890MHz (5-4-4-15)
      • Storage:
      • Intel 80GB - Games. Intel 80GB - OS. 1TB Samsung - Storage.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Zotac GTX 275: 728 Core, 1614 Shader, 1340 Memory
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2343BW (2048x1152)
      • Internet:
      • Smallworld 4Mbps

All I can picture is some fat American bloke stood outside an Apple store with a box in his hand and a sticky crotch on launch day, it's always the same!

Thanks
    • borandi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 D0 (2.66Ghz) @ 4.1Ghz
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 3x1GB DDR3-1333Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung PB22-J 64GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x5850 in CF
      • PSU:
      • 800W
      • Case:
      • Verre V770
      • Operating System:
      • Windoze XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19"WS
      • Internet:
      • 8MB/448kbps up

In other news 76% of statistics are made up and 94% are complete bollocks. These results were taken from a sample of 140000 statistics produced when asking Hindi women during child birth.

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/arch...p?comicid=1271 springs to mind.

Some people are just hell bent on all apple products and will get it. Some people are hell bent against such products, and wont. This is a fact of the current climate, and lunacy that surrounds Apple products. Sanity check - one please, to be delivered to the Human Race.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Today I surveyed myself and found that 1 out of 1 person was not interested in a mythical devices, 1 out of 1 person was not interested in Apple products as they're always to expensive and 1 out of 1 person couldn't be bothered about this anymore.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Thats 100%, well done Cheese!!

Thanks

For anyone that didn't read the article, its 54% of 3000 people from a site i've never heard of!

Excellent news headline!
    Insert signature here.

Thanks

54% of Britons must know something that I don't, which is surprising considering the amount of news I've seen on this device.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    In the Apple Store in Regent Street obviously!!

This video makes me chuckle:

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide..._revolutionary
    This video was worth a watch.

"Everything is just a few hundred clicks away."

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID

I wonder if that percentage is the same now we know a little more about the iPad?

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

It's not a tablet, and that's the key point. So everything you assume about a tablet (notebook/netbook sans keyboard) is irrelevant to this. Not a full OS, not a mainstream processor, not a huge amount of memory, and it is very locked down.

This may make things like the HP slate or the Archos 9 a lot more acceptable to the public though. And that is a good thing for me as it might drive prices down due to competition

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
    I wonder if that percentage is the same now we know a little more about the iPad?
    i think the survey has been updated to suggest that 4 per cent of Britons are stupid enough to consider buying an Apple Tablet

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    It's not a tablet, and that's the key point. So everything you assume about a tablet (notebook/netbook sans keyboard) is irrelevant to this. Not a full OS, not a mainstream processor, not a huge amount of memory, and it is very locked down.

This may make things like the HP slate or the Archos 9 a lot more acceptable to the public though. And that is a good thing for me as it might drive prices down due to competition
    do you think apple and archos are competing with each other to see who can cripple the hardware the most?

the archos stuff could be quite good if the features were unlocked from the start and reasonably firmware updates. if it could play flac and mkv and all the files that the hardware is capable of doing without you having to buy plugins, then it would be great, but instead the old models are sold off in sales

and yet apple don't include a usb socket, or let you drag and drop music files, forcing you to use itunes or some other software, no flac support, no flash etc. it's almost like you need to get an archos and ipod and mash them together to make a full functioning item. ironically all the cheap chinese copies have all the things people want, like memory card sockets etc, but they are just ultimately crappy

i think the ipad is apples new newton, a bit of a dodo. at £300 it would be appealing to some if you could use a 3g dongle without having to jump through hoops or use a wifi 3g dongle, but who wants to have to carry two things to get online? i think the ereader book market is a very limited one. you either read a paper book or watch a movie, not read on the computer. i think it's a fad that won't last long. hopefully that won't be one of those set in stone quotes that's raised again in 10 years when the world goes ebook crazy. you can stick a book in a bag or pocket and not worry about it getting damaged, read it in bed or the bath, but you have to be careful with an electronic device, particularly when it costs so much. just wait till ebooks reach mp3 levels of piracy too. right now it's not practicle for joe public to copy a book, but it would only take a few seconds to download it for free

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by uni View Post
    do you think apple and archos are competing with each other to see who can cripple the hardware the most?
    Ironically, the Archos devices are getting more open. There is an Android powered Archos 5 and a Windows powered Archos 9.

The iPad doesn't have a USB socket but there is USB pins in the dock connector, just like the iPhone and all the iPods. There will be card readers available from apple so you can stick photos on it without a PC, but no direct connection and because of the OS no printing either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    Ironically, the Archos devices are getting more open. There is an Android powered Archos 5 and a Windows powered Archos 9.

The iPad doesn't have a USB socket but there is USB pins in the dock connector, just like the iPhone and all the iPods. There will be card readers available from apple so you can stick photos on it without a PC, but no direct connection and because of the OS no printing either.
    so much for the smart arses who say apple is better as everything is easier. you have to buy seperate adapters to make everything work, and of course on the table you can only plug one thing in at a time

i thought the archos 5 was crippled too? i saw a cheap price for it the other day, but put off by the out of box restrictions. i didn't think it was android based though. and isn't archos 9 going to cost a fortune if it's got windows 7 on it? i just want a large capacipty mp3 player that just plays all standard music types and is under £200. i don't need apps to tell the the weather or the date

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by uni View Post
    i thought the archos 5 was crippled too? i saw a cheap price for it the other day, but put off by the out of box restrictions. i didn't think it was android based though. and isn't archos 9 going to cost a fortune if it's got windows 7 on it? i just want a large capacipty mp3 player that just plays all standard music types and is under £200. i don't need apps to tell the the weather or the date
    There is more than one Archos 5 I think. Archos 9 is £420 from Play.com.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information