Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: News - Remember, the Windows 7 Release Candidate won't last forever

Thanks

Re: News - Remember, the Windows 7 Release Candidate won't last forever

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Your second point is ridiculous.

You want Microsoft to force you to sign off from PC 1 if Windows is running on PC 2. Anybody with any sense would disconnect from the internet, and then they would be unable to force the sign-off. So they'd have to force you to sign off as soon as you lost internet connection.

That would go down well... really well.
    And if I had to sign off the internet chances are I wouldnt be able to do what I wanted to do anyway?

I leave steam on at my friends while I download a game. I come home, switch on my home pc, it tells me I'm signed on at another place and signing on here will sign me off there. Incidentally, even when that happens it still keeps downloading my game at my friends house.

There are plenty of ways an acceptable medium can be found, Microsoft just isn't interested. There will of course be plenty of people who pay for windows on multiple pc's, same as there will be people who refuse to pay for it multiple times and those who just pirate windows instead.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if he is trolling or not.

Basically you think we should have some kind of only use from one machine at a time license.

Well why would someone have two or more machines? Your willing to spend money on hardware that will by your logic lie dormant (this is not what happens with my multiple machines, I frequently have 3 on at the same time, if only to help my carbon footprint grow).

Why not software?

To do a per-session use activation, would be very inconvient, the steam example has court me out before now, I wanted to play some world of goo or something when the nice people at my local water firm had dug up my street, and my BT phone line.... I was bang out of luck.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    Because system profiles are local and not across a network or even the internet. This is a good thing. You think people would be happy that every system login they have in Windows is sent back to Microsoft and stored on their servers?

Pull the internet connection and bang, no longer able to log in at all.
    How else would they be able to enforce their "one licence per machine" nonsense if they weren't checking your licence key and hardware setup against the one they have stored on their servers?

How come when I change my graphics card and hard drive around I have to re-enter my key?
    Last edited by Jimbo75; 09-02-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I don't know if he is trolling or not.

Basically you think we should have some kind of only use from one machine at a time license.

Well why would someone have two or more machines? Your willing to spend money on hardware that will by your logic lie dormant (this is not what happens with my multiple machines, I frequently have 3 on at the same time, if only to help my carbon footprint grow).

Why not software?

To do a per-session use activation, would be very inconvient, the steam example has court me out before now, I wanted to play some world of goo or something when the nice people at my local water firm had dug up my street, and my BT phone line.... I was bang out of luck.
    Why are my games good to work on any pc, yet my windows isn't? Why are they licenced to ME and not the machine?

Steam has an offline mode you can use when it is down, or your inet is down. This whole internet excuse is just that, an excuse. If I didn't need to be connected to the internet there is nothing stopping me from using the same copy of windows in the first place.

All I want to do is use MY windows on MY computers legally - and not even at the same time!

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo75 View Post
    All I want to do is use MY windows on MY computers legally - and not even at the same time!
    Pfffft - you agree to the licence agreement, and you don't own windows period. MS provide a method of you doing it, you no likey, you no pay. End of story. Ranting on a non-MS forum seems slightly futile, why not put it to them?
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    No, you bought a licence to use the software, and that comes with terms. Don't like them? Don't buy it.

And by the way, games come with a licence to use on several PCs because they figure they'll sell more copies allowing that, especially in the multiplayer world we now have. But for about 20 years of me buying PC games, that was not the case. Once copy equalled one PC install, or at least, one at a time.
    I'm not buying windows 7, which part of that did you miss? I'm just not listening to a bunch of microsoft fanbois telling me I'm wrong when I in fact have a lot of valid points.

I have never owned a single pc game that only allowed for one installation. Even Bioshock allowed for 5 installations on 5 different pc's at the same time, and that was at the worst of DRM.

Microsoft is just being greedy and you are all meekly accepting it like sheep.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

You're a nutter

I'll steer clear from now on though, so don't worry about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    Pfffft - you agree to the licence agreement, and you don't own windows period. MS provide a method of you doing it, you no likey, you no pay. End of story.
    It's not the end of the story though is it? Microsoft are never out of court and their software is always getting pirated and hacked. Normal people are losing their personal details because of security holes in internet explorer and windows.

If they weren't so greedy a lot less of that would be going on. You should think about that next time you think you are doing something good by supporting such a greedy company.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    You're a nutter

I'll steer clear from now on though, so don't worry about it.
    I think anybody who actually supports microsoft must have real mental issues tbh. What are you getting out of it?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I'm not buying windows 7, which part of that did you miss? I'm just not listening to a bunch of microsoft fanbois telling me I'm wrong when I in fact have a lot of valid points.
    Okay, first, LOSE THAT SNIPPY TONE.

Either you discuss this without that kind of remark, or you'll find you can't discuss it at all. Understand?

Secondly, befpre patronisingly asking me what part missed, I QUOTED YOU when you said
    .... Licenced to a single machine my arse - I bought the software I should be able to use it on as many of my pc's as I want to.
    THAT is the software I referred to you as having bought.

Next, if you want to continue posting here, lose the insulting "bunch of microsoft fanbois" attitude too.

You are entitled to express your opinion, and others are entitled to agree or disagree, without you getting personal. Again, if you want to continue posting, lose the insults or lose your account.

Thanks

Still it could be worse , could be using an apple.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

12. Received thanks from:

directhex (09-02-2010),TheAnimus (09-02-2010)

Thanks

I think anybody who actually supports microsoft must have real mental issues tbh. What are you getting out of it?
    I'll be generous and call that strike one.....
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

It's not the end of the story though is it?
    Why yes, yes it is. And just like you agree to all those licence terms for those games you play, so do you for other software - and yes lord! they shalt vary in their implementation! and thou shalt have thy choice of not buying the product and be free!

Why so angry at us? Just because we don't need/want the same things you do doesn't make us in league with Satan. MS aren't doing anything special here (and that's the point people are making) and simply going off the deep end at a bunch of less-than-influential strangers on a random tech forum isn't going to affect change now is it?
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • Jon Tseng's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Blitz Extreme
      • CPU:
      • QX6850 @3.87ghz
      • Memory:
      • Super Talent DDR3-1600 @7-6-5-15
      • Storage:
      • Spinpoint 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 8800Ultra @650mhz
      • Case:
      • P182 side window

Well instead of moaning about the fact MSFT don't happen to router their EULAs to suit your precise personal preferences, why not go and bung linux on your second machine along with a nice cosy RDP client.

Then you can double team your windows instal to your hearts content without having to splash out.

J

ps oh and as someone pointed up thread the article is wrong. It us very easy to do an in place win 7 upgrade from the RC. All you need to do is dump the instal disk to usb and do a very minor edit in the config file. someone should update this on the article.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Tseng View Post
    ps oh and as someone pointed up thread the article is wrong. It us very easy to do an in place win 7 upgrade from the RC. All you need to do is dump the instal disk to usb and do a very minor edit in the config file. someone should update this on the article.
    I would strongly advise against it though - having tried it and had it stuff up all sorts of stuff!

Thanks

Wait let me get this...

First one mod who gives me the great advice of "dont buy it if you dont like it" after I'd said oh....about five times already that I won't be buying it tells me to change my tone or I'll lose my posting privelages.

Then another mod says I lose a strike based on comments I made before being warned?

Great bit of democracy there. It's clear you people don't have much ****ing clue about anything, let alone fairness.

You people need to take a long hard look at yourselves if you can't even let somebody who is displeased by Microsofts behaviour vent their anger. I bet most of you are on XP and didn't even have to suffer the crap that is Vista, let alone be expected to pay for an "upgrade" on two machines two years later.

Feel free to remove my posting privelages, I've seen enough sad ******s in one thread here to last me a lifetime.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information