Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - BBC plans cuts to many services

Thanks

Re: News - BBC plans cuts to many services

When things start coming down cables, be it internet or otherwise, I can see a massive push from the public in having adaptive TV, both from the BBC and the commercial companies.

I don't see why a license payer should fork out for the management of a website or website content that they may never use. I don't see why I should pay for Simply or Eastenders or other expensive shows. I've never listened to the BBC Radio 3, 4 or the Asian Network, so why should I pay for them? I'm sure it's a similar story for every one of you.

Short of encrypting channels and using cards to decode them, then clearly we're not at that stage, but I can see it being the case in a decade, where the public is pushing for adaptive licences - at some stage it will probably replace the adverts of commercial channels (adverts are becoming increasingly defunct... who actually watches them? Those with PVRs of some description are usually in position to fast forward and anyone else will just change channel or go and make a cuppa). Sky are doing it a similar way, but it's horrible inefficient (for everyone other than Sky).

The only negative for me is that it would stifle truly unique ideas from coming through, though maybe you could tax the charges to go to a big pot for creative programming.

Either that or cut the BBC right down to the core (news, factual programming, education, perhaps kids, etc) and then offshoot a commercial side to provide the sports and entertainment.

The whole TV system needs a massive shake-up in my opinion. It's become too expansive and full of absolute crap. Stop wasting bandwidth on QVC and the likes while you're at it.
    Last edited by this_is_gav; 28-02-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Hexus.trombonist
    Thanks
    • Powderhound's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz under a Xigmatek HDT-S1283
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066MHz
      • Storage:
      • 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium, Ubuntu 8.10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T220 22"
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net Broadband Your Way Option 2

Halving the BBC website? That's pretty much the only BBC service that I actually use on a regular basis.

Give some Hz to help where it hurts: BOINC Folding@Home

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by Powderhound View Post
    Halving the BBC website? That's pretty much the only BBC service that I actually use on a regular basis.
    Exactly, it's too good! We can't have good websites getting in the way of competition...

Banned
    Thanks

Cut out the TV licence would be good but will never happen as the Government like their cut!

Thanks

I think it's a weird situation.
    BBC have grown to believe the myth that the customer wants all content that they provide, and that they are allowed to compete against purely commercial entities globally

if you reduce the mandate back to it's core values, then they should be producing high value news, entertainment, educational and informative content for the license payer (at it's core essence)

BBC news have recently been merging operations of the news departments, so that tv content producers for news would also be providing radio and web content. that pi$$ed off loads of people, but given that you really did have 3 people doing completely redundant roles, it's somewhat excessive and we shouldn't be paying for this.
    add to this the commercial mandate that BBC worldwide has granted itself - they're a huge presence in the content sales space

that's not a bad thing, and it's a way to increase the reach of british television
    what really annoys me is the ads on the bbc websites when i'm browsing when i'm travelling.
    it's a news service, i don't think the average british ratepayer would mind that the news content *(which has already been provided) is being shared with the world at large. it's one of the main reasons the bbc has been regarded as one of the most trusted sources in news.

anyway... forgot what i was going to say, so i might come back to this later

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information