Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: News - Apple iPhone 4 pre-orders top 600,000 in a single day

Thanks

Re: News - Apple iPhone 4 pre-orders top 600,000 in a single day

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Actually, the iPhone 4 looks like the real deal to me. I am fervently Anti-Apple, i hate thier evangilistic marketing style and hate their lack of openness in development technology and i hate Objective C. I hate white. The iPad is stupid its only as capable as an iTouch iPod but you cant fit it in your pocket.

I work with phones every day its my job, and i have to say the Touch method is definitely the superior in the market.

I will be getting an iPhone 4, with the improved resolution, HD video play and Record, Touch, Wifi, Bluetooth, multi tasking (email polling and phone calling at the same time who'd have thought it possible), battery life. I am savy enough to not get locked to iTunes so im going for it.
    i'm not quite as anti apple as you. in the old days i used apple ii's or whatever they were, and then the classic macs with the tiny b/w screen, and at the time, whilst the screen was tiny, they were far better than pc's running msdos. they had the windows style GUI long before MS did. they just dropped the ball completely and let MS run all over them with windows, and they basically lost the computer market for good

i used imacs for a bit at work, and i hated them. apple fanboys used to laugh at windows because of the BSOD, but i had more problems using imacs than pc's. every day there was a problem with people not being able to open files that were sent to them, as they weren't compatible with mac, and the number of discs getting stuck in drives and all sorts of other stuff. they were really horrible. to be a mac fanboy you had to be kidding yourself

i later tried OSX as a hackintosh setup. i finally removed it from my laptop, as whilst it worked fine, it was just a bit pointless, as none of the programs i normally used had mac versions, and there weren't mac alternatives for them. the few things it did do weren't as well done on osx as windows. my summary was that if you just want to surf the web and use itunes and stuff, then osx is nice and basic and simple for doing that, so great for people who don't have a clue about computers, new users, old people, and kids. no use for work as it doesn't run any of the software i need for work. in the place that did use the imacs, they still had a pc as there wasn't a decent accounting or payroll program for it. i did make my netbook a hackintosh, and it's perfect for that. boots quick, i just use it for what a netbook is for, which is surfing the internet, and it's great for it. i've also got itunes and other stuff on, and it even plays 720p stuff perfectly, so it's good for showing off too. but even if i had the money, i wouldn't use osx over windows and wouldn't recommend anyone did unless they just want to surf the web and do basic stuff. if i had a macbook i would use windows on it most of the time, making having a macbook pointless. if i had the money i'd be better off with a laptop with a bluray drive

where they did go right was with the ipod, the just copied the idea from other people like creative, but did it a bit nicer. the downside was that you were kinda stuck with itunes for a while until replacements came out. you could then hack them and run rockbox and stuff and ipodlinux. i never got one as i got a 20gb archos with more space at less cost and i could drag and drop files, plus it was small and solid built. i did however get a ipod classic this week actually, which i'm using now as a portable HD filled with mp3s and portable apps to play the music on my pc at work. not quite what it was intended for, but after research there isn't another current provider that offers a decent alternative. mp3 players are either flash based with small capacity, or large size media players

with the original iphone, i went looking specifically to buy the best phone for internet use. i don't make many calls on my mobile, and sending texts was a PITA on a numberpad. getting emails would also be great, to save me looking online at work. the iphone just came out and i saw the morons jumping about like nuts after spending 14 months in line to be first to spend a fortune buying one and tied into a 27 year £70 CONtract. i said i'd never get one. but i went round the stores testing models and for internet use they just weren't quite right. small screens, numberpad input, etc. cost wasn't a particular concern if it was the right product. i wasn't going to spend daft money, but if one of the PDA style smartphones did it, then great, that's for me. but i tried those, and they were pretty crap. the sales guy then showed me his personal iphone, and within seconds i got to grips with it, it did just what i wanted it to do, i was surprised that the item i was set against was the item that was best for me. i didn't buy it straight away, i researched online, found i could hacktivate and jailbreak it, so buy it without a contract. apples fantastic modern itunes tying technique worked to my advantage and saved me money. it was cheaper to get the iphone than another smartphone. so i got it and it was great

when i saw the new version of the phone i wanted it straight away just cuz it looked cool. in the same way as i got my motorolla razor the day it was delivered to the store. i know it does everything my current phone does and more, including 3g which will benefit me, and the camera will be usable compared to the current phone. financially i can get about £150 for the current phone, so i only have to pay about £40 or so to upgrade the handset for the latest phone. i researched and kept an open mind to getting an iphone alternative, but the android phones have issues to, and people who moved from iphones say they just aren't as nice to use. if there was a better alternative i would go for it, but it seems to be a fact that the iphone is the best phone around for a large number of people, even those who may hate apple and everything they do. so for apple haters to buy iphones says a lot about the product

the simple fact is that there isn't another phone out there that does everything the iphone does and more, and does it as well as the iphone does, and that's what pushes people towards iphones. they have lower specs than some phones, but they have a more polished preferable user interface. what use is great specs if it's a pain to use them? apple make the products reasonably enjoyable to use and the specs aren't all that bad, perhaps a bit overpriced though. £100 for 16gb extra memory on the iphone? thats £80 more than it should be. i literally got a 120gb ipod classic for £100, brand new too

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Good to see a healthy debate is still raging. Personally, regardless of how great or otherwise they are, they're just too ruddy expensive for me. Some people have lots of cash to burn on shiny things, I don't, but I can get over it.

Thanks
    • cameronlite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Twin Frozr AMD 5850 1GB
      • PSU:
      • XILENCE 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li P50r AMD Limited Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Professional 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 243W 24", HP LA2405 24", Dell 2405 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin - 30Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Do you know for a fact that they haven't done research, weighed up costs, compared hundreds of phones & decided the iPhone suits them best? You can't have as that's what I did when I bought my 3G, I rarely make impulse purchases, I get buyer's remorse far too often & when it came to a phone I researched for weeks before settling on it
    I think it's fairly obvious that Apple don't focus on selling phones based on features. They sell them by placing shinyness, love and fluffy clouds before anything else. Im sure that 'everybody' out of the 600,000 preorders did thorough research instead of constantly pressing F5 repeatedly until the online checkout opened.

But yes, i don't have any evidence.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameronlite View Post
    I think it's fairly obvious that Apple don't focus on selling phones based on features. They sell them by placing shinyness, love and fluffy clouds before anything else. Im sure that 'everybody' out of the 600,000 preorders did thorough research instead of constantly pressing F5 repeatedly until the online checkout opened.

But yes, i don't have any evidence.
    I don't think anyone apart from an ultimate fanboy would argue that it has the best hardware in every way of any phone on the market as it quite clearly doesn't

Pressing F5 is to order the device not research it. I think it's a stretch to say that all 600k people did thorough research which is why I made sure I never said that, some people will buy one (in the words of M&S) "Just because" I'd imagine that they are in the minority though as most people can't afford to splash that sort of cash without thought.

I watched an episode of Modern Family last night where the guy wanted an iPad, apart from seeming like a 20minute advert for it the show was probably not far off the truth for some people as he just wanted it & at the end told it he loved it. I think it's fair to say we've all done that (maybe not the love part) with something, whether it be "I want that i7" or "I want that expensive pair of Jimmy Choos"

Hell I've got an O2 Joggler sitting boxed in my wardrobe doing nothing, cost me £50, what would I have been better doing, spending that £50 & then never use it or paying an extra £50 for a better (but ultimatley not-needed as I'm happy with my specs) motherboard/CPU/RAM for my recent upgrade that I'm going to use on a daily basis like I would a phone?

(Hint: It's the latter)

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Actually, the iPhone 4 looks like the real deal to me. I am fervently Anti-Apple, i hate thier evangilistic marketing style and hate their lack of openness in development technology and i hate Objective C. I hate white. The iPad is stupid its only as capable as an iTouch iPod but you cant fit it in your pocket.

I will be getting an iPhone 4,
    Not being funny but you sound quite stupid with that comment. Your anti apple and dislike their marketing tactics and dislike their openness, but will buy they new iphone.

You showed them.....

Personally I am not against apple as a company, you have to admire them as a company. I am against their products though, they are more expensive than rivals and offer less - they are poor value for money.

Anyone who buys an apple product either has a specific need for one (very few people though) or have more money than sense and need to big up their egos.

I think men think if they have an iphone in their pocket then their small weener is bigger suddenly!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    <snip>

Anyone who buys an apple product either has a specific need for one (very few people though) or have more money than sense and need to big up their egos.

I think men think if they have an iphone in their pocket then their small weener is bigger suddenly!!

Well that’s a wildly sweeping statement if I ever did hear one!

Do you feel you're 'better' than an iPhone owner as you have a Desire/HD2/etc or purely the fact you've not got an iPhone? How is that any different? E-peen is only one reason why people buy them (or infact do not buy them!) and that has been around long before & will be around long after the iPhone 'craze'

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Well that’s a wildly sweeping statement if I ever did hear one!

Do you feel you're 'better' than an iPhone owner as you have a Desire/HD2/etc or purely the fact you've not got an iPhone?
    Don't have iphone, or HTC anything. I have a simple Nokia E71 and when its time to upgrade (3 months) I will take what ever is the best free phone I can get for the price I want to pay on a tariff that gives me what I want.

For £20 a month you can get unlimited phones calls (ish), unlimted texts (ish) and 1gb internet and email use - but you could only have a phone up to say £300 face value

or £35 per month for the same tariff plus £150 for an iphone

Based on that most tariff are now 24 months, you have paid £150 for a phone & £15 extra per month which is £510 extra over the duration.

I (personally) would choose the first option. Paying that kind of money for something that is really not that much better than a £300 phone is ridiculous.

Thanks

O2 tariffs & handset costs are now out, £209 for the 16GB on a £30/month 18m tariff, errrrmmmm na!

18*30 + 209 = £749 for 18months incl 100mins (Contract)
    18*35 + 179 = £809 for 18months incl 300mins (Contract)
    18*15 + 499 = £769 for 18months incl 300mins (12m SIM only) + your handset is unlocked and you could cancel after 12months….

What idiot makes up these tariffs?
    Last edited by Rob_B; 17-06-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks

I think the Samsung SupewrAMOLED screen is better in some respects than the iPhone4 screen, I like the better viewing angles and brighter colours. I think the iPhone does some things really well, but completely sucks at others, but my biggest dislike is how people think that Apple innovates when it really doesn't. Multitasking, screen, video calling...wow they're really new guys aren't they!
    Add in the locked down nature of Apple and I'm not interested. Liked a Samsung Galaxy S, but disliked the lack of flash. Liked the HTC Desire but it's not the best looking phone ever...

In the end, you pays your money and takes your choice and Apple isn't good in either way for me.
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

O2 tariffs & handset costs are now out, £209 for the 16GB on a £30/month 18m tariff, errrrmmmm na!

18*30 + 209 = £749 for 18months incl 100mins (Contract)
    18*35 + 179 = £809 for 18months incl 300mins (Contract)
    18*15 + 499 = £769 for 18months incl 300mins (12m SIM only) + your handset is unlocked and you could cancel after 12months….

What idiot makes up these tariffs?
    what's your point? you save a bit of money if you pay a larger amount upfront. i could pay up to about £280 for a handset at launch but i'd be struggling to pay £500/£600 at launch for sim free. literally 3 days later i could, but i'd rather pay a lower amount upfront and spread the cost over a couple of years, and i think most people would prefer that. if the contract is changed by the provider as often happens, you might get out of it early. in real terms i don't normally upgrade phones every 2 years, more like 5 years, but 3 in this case. i don't understand the need to get a new uber high end phone every year

Thanks
    • Georgy291's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ga-p55-ud3
      • CPU:
      • intel i5 750 @4.2
      • Memory:
      • 4gig DDR3 1600mhz 8.8.8
      • Storage:
      • 1tb samsung F3 + 200gig WD caviar black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6850 XF
      • PSU:
      • antec 750w something or other
      • Case:
      • antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" acer @1080p
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE @ 22mb

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I think the Samsung SupewrAMOLED screen is better in some respects than the iPhone4 screen, I like the better viewing angles and brighter colours. I think the iPhone does some things really well, but completely sucks at others, but my biggest dislike is how people think that Apple innovates when it really doesn't. Multitasking, screen, video calling...wow they're really new guys aren't they!
    Add in the locked down nature of Apple and I'm not interested. Liked a Samsung Galaxy S, but disliked the lack of flash. Liked the HTC Desire but it's not the best looking phone ever...

In the end, you pays your money and takes your choice and Apple isn't good in either way for me.
    stop beating me to stuff, i was going to mention when my curent contract runs out, im just getting a samsung wave, since i prefere having a nice screen and a phone which is a phone, not a downscaled computer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduckUK View Post
    now that i think about the word "throttled" in a certain light... its not so far different to strangled really

our boiler broke so we has no heating or hot water, this is the bloody result ^^

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uni View Post
    what's your point? you save a bit of money if you pay a larger amount upfront. <snip>
    Nail...head, plus more flexibility in contract term £40 is ~ 5% which is a month (or 2) line rental!

Shisha King
    Thanks
    • shaffaaf27's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 Oced to 3.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB Geil Black Dragon 1066MHz 2.1V C5 @ 1200MHz C5 2.2Vs
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1TB F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Crossfire Sapphire 4870 512MB x2
      • PSU:
      • North-Q Black Magic 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG03B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM 24", Dell 24" 16:9
      • Internet:
      • 20Mb

would you say the Palm Pre is better than the iPhone 4 on the sole basis that it handles multi-tasking better? I'd agree with the statement "Palm Pre is better than iPhone 4 at multi-tasking" but I would say the iPhone 4 is a better phone.

yes but then i am a webos fanboy

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    yes but then i am a webos fanboy
    We'll just wait and see what HP do with it then I guess....

Although I literally can't be bothered to go into a long rambling post about why I wouldn't buy an iPhone I can sum it up by saying I am not prepared to be tied down and under Apple's thumb. The app store approval process is a joke, I'd rather have my own opinions and choices thanks very much. I also like to be able to customise my own phone's interface, and even with iOs 4 I don't see anything such as widgets, different icons etc. etc.

YES, I know I could jailbreak it, hack it with 3rd party tools, but why should I have to do that to a phone I've just shelled out all my spare cash on!

This is where Android comes in, and it does everything I can throw at it brilliantly well, especially having just upgraded from a HTC Hero to a Desire with Android 2.1 which is another great improvement.

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Thanks

Nail...head, plus more flexibility in contract term £40 is ~ 5% which is a month (or 2) line rental!
    but in real terms the prices are about the same, perhaps more if you pay upfront. you didn't factor in interest did you?

Thanks

As if any amount of money would sit long enough in my account to gather interest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information