Thread: News - Sony Ericsson launches some new phones and discovers Android 2.1

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Sony Ericsson launches some new phones and discovers Android 2.1

A new Xperia and the first touch screen Walkman phone as SE starts to catch-up on Android versions.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Re: News - Sony Ericsson launches some new phones and discovers Android 2.1

No word on an upgrade to the X10 Mini (Pro)? I was looking at the Pro seriously but if it's never going to leave 1.6 then I may have to give it a miss.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    No word on an upgrade to the X10 Mini (Pro)? I was looking at the Pro seriously but if it's never going to leave 1.6 then I may have to give it a miss.
    That upgrade applies to the whole Xperia X10 range.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

We know product roadmaps are started years in advance, and that Android 1.6 is still a good operating system, but it starts to look bad if you're still using that version when Google has already started talking-up version 2.2.

Sony Ericsson is presumably acutely aware of this and, while still not exactly leading from the front, has announced that its Xperia X10 range will get a 2.1 upgrade before the end of the year
    Am I missing something here, but surely it'd be possible to streamline the addition of the SE-specific bits so they can keep up with Google a bit more closely? What's worrying me is that you get a new version of Android, then SE take their own sweet time putting in their add-ons, then you've got to wait further while the teleco's put in their "contribution" (i.e. stripping out the stuff they don't like). Which means that the phone that Jane and Joe Public is offered is way out of date... Not good - especially as each version of Android seems to be noticeably better than the last.

Seeing the article title, I was kind of hoping that the X10 replacement ("X12", "X10+", whatever-they're-going-to-call-it) had broken cover, and it was time for some major tech lust. Still, I'm sure I can wait until closer to the end of the year (Christmas present time!)

As to the non-Android stuff, it's nice to see that SE can still design some nice looking phones, although I can't help thinking that having their own OS is a bit extravagant - aren't there enough choices on offer at the moment?!

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Alpha
    Thanks
    • Nelsaidi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Qe IP45
      • CPU:
      • Intel E8400
      • Memory:
      • 2x2Gb Corsair PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar SE16 640Gb 7200rpm, Seagate 250gb 7200rpm
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4850 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • DEll Ultrasharp 17"
      • Internet:
      • AOL :(

SE Cedar looks like a good phone tbh, it cant be that expensive and offers many advantages over other phones, whilt app support will be an issue though.

I also love the name

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

I vowed never to own another SE phone after my 3rd K700, then again after my 2nd K750, then again after my 2nd K800, then again after my 2nd K850 and then finally, when the earpiece on my current C905 stopped working I decided that was it - my next phone was going to be an HTC Desire.

Then SE come along and do this...
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Alpha
    Thanks
    • Nelsaidi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Qe IP45
      • CPU:
      • Intel E8400
      • Memory:
      • 2x2Gb Corsair PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar SE16 640Gb 7200rpm, Seagate 250gb 7200rpm
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4850 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • DEll Ultrasharp 17"
      • Internet:
      • AOL :(

Whats wrong with SE?

I've had three phones, two of which are SE - and both lasted an incredibly long time despite being abused like no tomorrow, my K750i is in the hands of my uncle, and my W810 lost half a screen when i threw it full power at a concrete wall from 3 meters - everything else still works. My brother has an S500i i think, abused too and still living.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    I vowed never to own another SE phone after my 3rd K700, then again after my 2nd K750, then again after my 2nd K800, then again after my 2nd K850 and then finally, when the earpiece on my current C905 stopped working I decided that was it - my next phone was going to be an HTC Desire.
    Then SE come along and do this...
    I can relate to this - I too was hell-bent on getting a Desire, but having used (as far as you can anyway) an X10 in the local Three store made me reconsider. Discovering that the SE product has better standby and talk times than the Desire helped too - I'm too disorganised to arrange the daily recharges that everyone says the Android phones need.

I think Sony still have the knack of making stuff that people desire (no pun intended). After the rootkit and PS3 nonsense I'd made up my mind to avoid them - then the latest Walkman came out (A845) and I went and bought it (slightly off topic - but that A845 is a really good MP3/MP4 player - way better than the Apple Nano)

Bob

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I'm too disorganised to arrange the daily recharges that everyone says the Android phones need.
    Charger beside your bed and just plug it in at night?

You really ahve to do this for pretty much any smartphone, large screens and fast processors are a heavy drain on battery.

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsaidi View Post
    Whats wrong with SE?
    The first of those phones had essential joystick controls which broke making basic tasks like texting and making a call impossible, the latter had "mission-critical" touch screen controls which had the same effect.

The phones are perfect for what I want, I make calls, text and take snapshots - the camera is the main reason I keep going back to SE despite my promises to avoid them

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I can relate to this - I too was hell-bent on getting a Desire, but having used (as far as you can anyway) an X10 in the local Three store made me reconsider. Discovering that the SE product has better standby and talk times than the Desire helped too - I'm too disorganised to arrange the daily recharges that everyone says the Android phones need.

I think Sony still have the knack of making stuff that people desire (no pun intended). After the rootkit and PS3 nonsense I'd made up my mind to avoid them - then the latest Walkman came out (A845) and I went and bought it (slightly off topic - but that A845 is a really good MP3/MP4 player - way better than the Apple Nano)

Bob
    My renewal date is some time in July - I'm holding out for as long as I can in the hope that something amazing comes out and solves my dilemma for me - I'd be interested to hear your views on the x10 if you do go for one though.
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    Charger beside your bed and just plug it in at night?

You really ahve to do this for pretty much any smartphone, large screens and fast processors are a heavy drain on battery.
    Guess I've been spoiled by my current phone - Nokia N95 (not the 8GB model) - as long as I don't play games (which really knacker the battery!) then I have to charge it three times every two weeks. That's acceptable to me.

As to charging - if the X10 does need a daily charge then I guess the only way I could schedule this is to use a USB charger hooked up to my works PC, (this is way that I mainly charge the N95).

(Like the avatar - got one similar I use on my non-Hexus forums)

Bob

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    My renewal date is some time in July - I'm holding out for as long as I can in the hope that something amazing comes out and solves my dilemma for me - I'd be interested to hear your views on the x10 if you do go for one though.
    Well, I was stupid at the weekend - my N95 appeared to be on a terminal slide (apps crashed 6 times in less than an hour - which is unheard of!) - so given that Three now allow 1GB/month internet I bought an X10 on the Internet Texter 500 package. Okay, I've only had it two days, but here's the thoughts so far:

The bad
    • Manual - it's pretty poor, heck I'm still trying to find out how to switch to an already running task (Alt-Tab equivalent) or even get a list of those (without extra software). Although you do get a version installed on the phone (which is nice as a quick reference);
    • Accessories - not much available for the X10 at the moment, I'd just love one of those padded aluminium cases that Proporta did for the Palm, N95, etc;
    • Screen - it gets dirty quickly (to be expected) but needs more effort than I expected to clean off - spectacle cleaner sprayed on a clean hanky works great - and maybe I'm just being lazy;
    • PC connectivity software - it just doesn't work, USB or Bluetooth, although I can use the setting that let's me mount the SD card as a USB drive. (I freely admit that this could be because I'm using XP rather than Vista [spit] or Win7);
    • Timescape - nice overview, but it's no replacement for a proper Twitter client;
    • Nav apps - got Google Maps and another on it as standard. Neither are as usable as Nokia Maps or the CoPilot 7 that I bought for the N95. E.g. Google Maps doesn't update as you're driving;
    • No multitouch - having had an iPod Touch I really kind of miss not having this. But I can live without it I guess;
    • UI cock-ups - minor niggles actually. Like for example having to use two fingers to get an "!" or a ",", or not being able to set an MP3 as a ringtone directly (you have to select the track in Mediascape and then use the option "Set as ringtone" - after which it's available to use). Oh, and the way that you can't set Bluetooth discoverable-status as 'on' - it's only on for two minutes then shuts off - good for security, but can be annoying;
    • Migration issue - this is specific to the way I did things - but the "Me" entry in the contacts list is propagated automatically. Unfortunately, it's got the original number from the SIM, not the one that was migrated to it - worse still there's no way I can find to change it! :'(

The good
    • It's fast - I tried an iPhone 3GS while I was waiting, and the X10 is just streets ahead for responsiveness. Maybe it's down to the lack of apps at the moment, but if you select an app it never keeps you waiting - click and bazinga* it's there; (* yes, I'm a Big Bang Theory fan)
    • Stable - no crashes, not even with games, which I would expect to push it hard;
    • Cute - (I won't say 'sexy' because I don't think phones are) - it really does look good. It's a relatively large device, but it's definitely comfortable to use as a phone, and the screen - despite not being OLED - is clear and bright. There's a lot of visual effects being applied too - which make using it visually appealing - if you liked the visual gimmicks in Windows 7 or latest Ubuntu, then you'll like this very much;
    • Software - the bundled software is quite good (navigation aside) and it's dead easy to get more. I've put Bejeweled and a couple of apps on - no problems. Actually I'm really impressed with Google Googles;
    • GPS - seems to be quite accurate and reasonably quick to 'spin up' from cold. Certainly faster than the N95's was;
    • Compatibility - although there's few X10 accessories so far, things like power cables (microUSB I think - same as Nokia 8600 and some Motorola phones) are easily found, and the memory and battery are easily replaceable;
    • Battery life - yes, this is the X10's weak spot, but so far it's not been as nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Yes, it's going to need charged every 2 days or so, but I'm sure that as I figure out the guts of this, there'll be tweaks I can apply to stretch it out.

Final verdict (well, as "final" as you can be after two days!) is that while an iPhone is easier to use, the X10 is just more capable - especially if you're willing to put in the effort to "tinker" with it to get the best.

Bob

13. Received thanks from:

mycarsavw (05-07-2010)

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Still waiting for a good review of the X10 Mini Pro. There was a complete non-release on the 28th, actually in stock now and exists in the O2 shop, but actual reviews seem a bit thin on the ground.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    Still waiting for a good review of the X10 Mini Pro. There was a complete non-release on the 28th, actually in stock now and exists in the O2 shop, but actual reviews seem a bit thin on the ground.
    Funnily enough I was looking at an X10MP while waiting to get my "full fat" X10. Looked quite good, and the keyboard seemed better than I was expecting for a device that small. If you're looking to get into 'droid then any shop worth it's salt should let you have some time 'behind the wheel' in the shop to make sure you're going to be happy with the phone you're looking at/for. Certainly the guy in my local Three store was quite happy to let me play with the X10 before I bought it.

I'm guessing that the MP will have nearly the same pro's and con's as the big one, but I'd (obviously) strongly recommend you ignore the reviews to an extent and make real sure that you can live with that keyboard. My thinking is that irrespective of how good the rest of the phone is, if that keyboard is not suitable for you then the whole phone is going to suit badly. After all, you can't really use the on-screen alternative on a screen as petite as the MP has.

Just my two cents. Bob.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Cheers for that Bob. I had a good play with an X10 Mini in my local O2 store yesterday - seemed to be up to scratch in terms of interface/speed. They were waiting to get stock in of the Pro (will go back tomorrow to check). I used to have a T-Mobile MDA Vario/HTC Wizard (QVGA screen, qwerty keyboard, tempted to get another off ebay...) and really quite liked the keyboard typing out a few documents on the train with it but I will definitely have a play with this one before I buy.

The full fat X10 does look good as well, I wonder if T-mobile will give me it for £20 a month when I ask for my pac code...

Thread Information