Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - PS Jailbreak modchip banned but Sony face long battle against piracy

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - PS Jailbreak modchip banned but Sony face long battle against piracy

USB dongle banned in Australia but now that the code has been released it's going to be a long battle for the PS3 maker.
    Read more.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: News - PS Jailbreak modchip banned but Sony face long battle against piracy

Fruitless indeed. Here's an idea, instead of wasting all that money on DRM R&D, frivolous legal wrangling, etc., which are proven NOT to work.. Why don't they just reduce the price of the games, consoles, etc and make them more economically viable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • jackvdbuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AbiT IP35-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550
      • Memory:
      • OCZ Nvidia SLi Edition 4GB (2x2gb) pc2-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • lots of TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Orange (about 6Mb)

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Fruitless indeed. Here's an idea, instead of wasting all that money on DRM R&D, frivolous legal wrangling, etc., which are proven NOT to work.. Why don't they just reduce the price of the games, consoles, etc and make them more economically viable?
    most pirates will pirate regardless of game price.. how cheap do you want games to be? they lose price with time usually, if you dont want to cough up dont play until its of reasonable price if ever?

or just do what i do... rent them

its quite good they have a console that has only now just be JB, but you cant just leave it 100% open to hacks and exploits really can you.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

They've already reduced the price massively in real terms, yet piracy has increased.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    They've already reduced the price massively in real terms, yet piracy has increased.
    Really?! Where?! I must be missing all the price cuts. Because the last time I looked (last week), games were still priced the same (highly).
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Really?! Where?! I must be missing all the price cuts. Because the last time I looked (last week), games were still priced the same (highly).
    Games in the 90s easily cost over £40, and blockbusters would hit £45 no problem. Today the most expensive PC game is StarCraft 2, at £35, most are £25 or under.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by jackvdbuk View Post
    most pirates will pirate regardless of game price..
    All pirates will pirate regardless of game price. But pirates couldn't exist in a fair economy of reasonably priced goods. It makes no sense to run a pirate operation when you can run legit operation and your prices are already low so there's no incentive to undercut your competitors illegally.

But what you're referring to are people who make copies for themselves (often via downloading). And a lot will, I don't know about 'most', but anyway, trying to spend a mountain of money to get them to pay for the game is a false economy, if they don't want to pay for it, they wont pay for it. Here's the kicker, publishers KNOW this already, they're not complete morons (usually). DRM isn't about stopping pirates or downloaders, it's about controlling legally purchased content, and removing ownership from LEGAL licensees. DRM has *never*ever* stopped pirates or downloaders.

how cheap do you want games to be? they lose price with time usually, if you dont want to cough up dont play until its of reasonable price if ever?
    Depends on the game, if I get a few months worth of play out of it I'd pay £50 without batting an eyelid, if I only got a few hours, I don't think it's worth £15, regardless of how much bling it contains. Furthermore, I don't respect anyone who thinks I should fork over a heap of cash on something I don't know what I'm getting.

I've liked a few games so much I've bought them twice, simply because I believed the game held more value than I was charged for initially, and it (and the expansions, which I also already owned) were wrapped up in a single neat DVD. I've played games at a friends house and made or rejected a notion to purchase it based on how the game was. And yes, I've even, at times, downloaded (gasp) a game, then decided whether or not it's worth my money after playing it. So statements like "most pirates will pirate regardless of game price" ignores the economic reality that people don't have an infinite amount of money to throw on products they don't know what they're getting until after they got it, and can't get a refund on if they don't like it (again, another policy in the name of 'fighting piracy').

or just do what i do... rent them
    You're only renting even when you buy the game these days anyway. So yeah, that's one solution, but it doesn't work for the PC unfortunately.

its quite good they have a console that has only now just be JB, but you cant just leave it 100% open to hacks and exploits really can you.
    Yes, you can. Wasting resources on combating something you can't defeat is a... waste. Oddly enough. It's like Vietnam (and more recently, Afghanistan and Iraq), you can keep throwing money and people at a problem, but ultimately the effort is a futile waste unless people WANT and ACCEPT what you're pushing for. People don't want and accept high prices, shoddy games, and not owning and being able to use what they pay for. It reflects in the markets (white, grey, or black) respectively.

Games development and distribution needs to be taken away from publishing corps., and put back in the hands of independent studios who are more than happy enough with 'mere' 6 or 7 figure profits on a product.

8. Received thanks from:

jackvdbuk (06-09-2010)

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Games in the 90s easily cost over £40, and blockbusters would hit £45 no problem. Today the most expensive PC game is StarCraft 2, at £35, most are £25 or under.
    Uh, no, new title releases in the 90's were £30 almost universally. They're now from £35-50, and some special editions even go up to and over £80. It's only by sheer lack of sales that stores are forced to drop prices below the RRP.

And we wont even go anywhere near the warcrack piñata.

Thanks

For that matter - people copied games when they where just £1.99....

OilSheikh

Cool Re: News - PS Jailbreak modchip banned but Sony face long battle against piracy

void main ( String args [] )
    {

if ( cost of new game I like = = £35 || £40 )
    {
    I buy USED game; // Games like PS3 Time Crisis 4, Heavy Rain,Final Fantasy XIII
    }

else if ( cost of new game I like = = £15 || £20 )
    {
    I buy NEW game; //Games like Resident Evil Gold edition, Prince of Persia Forgotten sands, Lost Planet 2, Batman Arkham Asylum
    }

else ( cost of USED game I like = = cost of NEW game )
    {
    I buy NEW game;
    }

}

New games on PS3 usually start at £35-40 mark and then 2 months later, they come down to £15-20

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Uh, no, new title releases in the 90's were £30 almost universally. They're now from £35-50, and some special editions even go up to and over £80. It's only by sheer lack of sales that stores are forced to drop prices below the RRP.

And we wont even go anywhere near the warcrack piñata.
    Errr no

RRP on n64 games were often nearly £60 RRP for regular games

PS2 were often £40 too

Nostalga fail
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by finlay666 View Post
    Errr no

RRP on n64 games were often nearly £60 RRP for regular games

PS2 were often £40 too

Nostalga fail
    kalniel was citing PC game prices. And I don't know where you were going for your n64 games, but I was paying £40 RRP for new n64 games.

Thanks

Isnt this thread supposed to be about the JB ps3?

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I was, and in the 90s I was paying £45 for the likes of Wing Commander, Strike Commander and other Origins games. Now most games are £25 new, except for Starcraft which is £35. You can't just say 'no' - those are facts. Games are cheaper in real terms than they used to be. So to claim price has anything to do with piracy of game is wrong as witnessed by both that fact, and the fact that people still pirate games that cost £1.

Thanks

what would be great would be if someone could port xbmc to ps3 and it could run mkv and other HD formats with 5.1 sound and you can use the controller and remote

does anyone know if this is possible?

and i'm not asking for a link, but are the files on the internet now so people just need to download them and put them on a USB stick themselves and they can play copied games and stuff? thus the court banning the sale of them has just forced the problem online for free instead? or did i read that the current version only lets homebrew and not copied stuff, but it's just a matter of time till someone changes that? plugging in a USB stick that has xbmc and let's you stream via SMB shares would be fantastic, it would give my ps3 a new life and make it the ultimate player, as it can do dvd, cd and bluray as well

Thanks
    • danroyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • N/A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 4720HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD +1tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce Gtx960m
      • PSU:
      • N/A
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

I was, and in the 90s I was paying £45 for the likes of Wing Commander, Strike Commander and other Origins games. Now most games are £25 new, except for Starcraft which is £35. You can't just say 'no' - those are facts. Games are cheaper in real terms than they used to be. So to claim price has anything to do with piracy of game is wrong as witnessed by both that fact, and the fact that people still pirate games that cost £1.
    I'm with KAl here doesn't matter what the price is of a game There is a clear mind set of people that they have the right to pirate these games if they want it's the same with music and Films,
    I have a friend who has 3 days and 23 hours of music on his phone of which he probably bought about 3 albums he has seen every film that is in the cinema at the moment and not been to a cinema for years, He had his xbox modded, And When i tell him its morally Wrong what he does he says i get bored so i download,

Sadly he is not the only person i know like this I know more people that are for piracy than i do against.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information