Thread: News - iOS more popular than Linux

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - iOS more popular than Linux

Latest stats show Apple overtake open-source OS in August
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - iOS more popular than Linux

So they group all iOS devices together but not Android & Linux? Well, they just lost all credibility with me in their flawed methodology.

I don't really understand why they're lumping mobile OSes together with all others, because it distills down to "Linux and iOS both have 1% of the market", unless the figures don't look as impressive when you focus only on mobile OSes.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

More to the point, they're trying to make a virtue out of having a shade over 1% of the OS market. Yes, that's right, one in every hundred internet connected devices is running iOS, and Apple are claiming that's a huge victory for them.

Anyone else think Apple have completely lost touch with how business operates?

Thanks
    • BullDogg's system
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon II X3 720BE (Core unlocked)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x HD4870 1GB (CrossfireX)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Well, firstly, Apple aren't saying anything, these stats are independent. They were blustering a lot last night, but none of it was to do with relative market share (except a bit about activations, but that's a different issue).

Secondly, they did group Android and Linux. That graph shows ALL variants of Linux (including Android), and then Android as well.

Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Anyone else think Apple have completely lost touch with how business operates?
    I thought that was obvious? Shame their bank managers don't agree.

5. Received thanks from:

spoon_ (02-09-2010)

Thanks

I think Apple and to some extent nVidia both believe their own hype too much. However, the biggest thing seems to be that people get locked in to an iPhone upgrade cycle because that's the easiest way they can continue with all their app purchases and iTunes purchases...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BullDogg View Post
    I thought that was obvious? Shame their bank managers don't agree.
    Haha, brilliant!

Thanks
    • oolon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T6
      • CPU:
      • Xeon w3680
      • Memory:
      • 3*4GB Kingston ECC
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Intel G2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX HD6970 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Antec P183
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate and Centos 5
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • Be* Unlimied 6 down/1.2 up

Gosh and I wonder how there iOS devices (rather than IOS (cisco)) would connect to the internet without their router running linux or BSD! If we actually counted the devices connected to the internet the figures would be very difficult. I expect most broadband connections have atleast one linux or bsd device on them. If we added in NAS devices as well things would be much higher. I am suprised anyone believes what the cult of jobs says anyone. I expect though i just don;t understand as i hold a phone wrong.
    (\__/) All I wanted in the end was world domination and a whole lot of money to spend. - NMA
    (='.*=)
    (")_(*)

Technojunkie
    Thanks

The statistics are browser's operating system, not general networked devices.

Looking at the full figures, I'm surprised linux, apple etc are so low:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...e.aspx?qprid=8

91.3% Microsoft Windows
    5.0% Apple Mac
    1.1% Apple iOS
    0.9% Linux

[edit] and while iOS increased, the Mac OS X figures constantly dropped month on month since last year
    Last edited by mikerr; 05-09-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    So they group all iOS devices together but not Android & Linux? Well, they just lost all credibility with me in their flawed methodology.

I don't really understand why they're lumping mobile OSes together with all others, because it distills down to "Linux and iOS both have 1% of the market", unless the figures don't look as impressive when you focus only on mobile OSes.
    I'm not impressed either - as there's no statement of where the figures come from. Are these global figures, US-only figures or ones from the Cupertino area? On that basis should I issue a press release saying that Apple is a spent force because in the last 24 hours web usage in my household was predominately Linux or Android?

I'm more impressed* with http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24699 or http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=25048 because at least it's clear what the figures in those reports mean. And the former - relatively old - report is from Gartner, which at least has some reputation.

(* Disclaimer: yes I know you can prove pretty much anything with appropriately 'adjusted' figures)

I'm not trying to denigrate the achievement of iOS - Apple have shifted a lot of iPhones and iPod Touches (got three of the latter in my household alone) but I don't think this'll have me ditching my current gear anytime soon.

Besides, everyone knows that desktop Linux hasn't made the market penetration it maybe deserves (and since this is web accesses, then it's got to be desktop Linux), so I can't see why it's been lumped in with Android. And yes I realise that this'd make the figures worse, but as they stand I can't really see what valid conclusion they're trying to draw.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Mattus's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.2GHz (400x8)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Kingston HyperX 1066Mhz
      • Storage:
      • SSD: Crucial M4 64GB; HDD: Samsung 2TB, WD 640GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 8800GT 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • MS Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207
      • Internet:
      • Sky DSL

Quote Originally Posted by oolon View Post
    I am suprised anyone believes what the cult of jobs says anyone. I expect though i just don;t understand as i hold a phone wrong.
    Any excuse to snipe, isn't it? Except this time, neither Jobs nor anybody connected to him is saying anything. It's statistics from a net monitoring company.

What's interesting is that Android may be seeing about as many daily activations as iOS now, but it still has a long way to go to catch iOS in terms of mobile data. iOS devices are pulling down five times more web pages than Android gear. Are there just a lot more iOS devices out there? Or does your average iPhone user browse the web on their phone a lot more than the average Android user?

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Mattus View Post
    Any excuse to snipe, isn't it? Except this time, neither Jobs nor anybody connected to him is saying anything. It's statistics from a net monitoring company.
    The cult of jobs doesn't just encompass Apple Inc. It includes it's following who further propagate Apple propaganda (fans, journalists (particularly journalists who write non-stop about Apple minutiae), stat. co's with biased data, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Windows is still king it seems but I do prefer OS X - not trying to start any war I do love Windows 7 as well - god not vista though

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

iOS devices are pulling down five times more web pages than Android gear.
    It's likely that the average android user is a lot more tech savvy and is much more efficient at downloading data (i.e. preserving battery life).

E.g. Android has apps to periodically disable and enable data, I don't believe that Apple allow these kind of apps.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by SiM View Post
    It's likely that the average android user is a lot more tech savvy and is much more efficient at downloading data (i.e. preserving battery life).
    E.g. Android has apps to periodically disable and enable data, I don't believe that Apple allow these kind of apps.
    You might have a point there - iOS devices do do seem to be de rigeur for the media-hungry Web2.0ista's out there. Whereas - at least from the unrepresentative sampling I've done - Android is entrenched in the technical community.

I'm wondering how much of the 'droid usage is to sites that wouldn't necessarily report browser stats (because they're using a dedicated client) - or to sites which weren't including in this sampling. As I said in my previous posting - without knowing more about the baseline's they're using it's difficult to tell.

Of course, there's also the small matter of folks who masquerade their devices. The iPlayer download software I'm using (which would have been nice to have continued supported use of - thanks for nothing BBC!) pretends to be an iPhone - but it's actually a Perl script running on Ubuntu (in my case). So an external sampler would see that I'm apparently using an iPhone to access data - but that's not correct. Worse still, I've got myPlayer on my 'droid phone, and I wonder what it's pretending to be - if it's pretending to be an iPhone too, then wouldn't that be ironic?

Of course as Pete Mason (the article's author) says: Between limited sample-sizes and margins of error, a 0.3 per cent difference could be largely negligible.. So the whole thing could be an unrepresentative blip anyway!

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Mattus's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.2GHz (400x8)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Kingston HyperX 1066Mhz
      • Storage:
      • SSD: Crucial M4 64GB; HDD: Samsung 2TB, WD 640GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 8800GT 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • MS Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207
      • Internet:
      • Sky DSL

Quote Originally Posted by SiM View Post

That's a pretty far-fetched explanation, especially as Apple doesn't allow any apps to run in the background which would use HTTP data (things like mail, Spotify and Skype data are unlikely to show up in surveys like this, which tend to track traffic to various websites, and track visitor numbers rather than data transferred).

I think there's a simpler reason. The perception that most Android users are highly technical and make big use of the mobile internet isn't accurate. Yes, people with high-end Android phones (Nexus One, Desire etc.) are likely to be techy and to browse the web a lot. But phone manufacturers are increasingly using Android for their midrange phones - and as the hardware which can support a smartphone OS gets cheaper, there will be more and more budget Android devices.

As you go further down the market, though, your audience gets less technical. I bet there are plenty of people buying £100 Android phones who don't really know what Android is. They're just buying a phone to make calls, send texts and probably check their email and use Facebook. In that situation, having an Android phone isn't a good indicator that you'll browse the mobile web a lot.

On the other hand, the iPhone is a premium (= expensive) device, and its ability to browse the 'real' web is marketed very heavily. It does attract users who want to browse the net on the go and can afford to pay for it. So I'd say that the average iPhone user does use more data than the average Android user - not because they're less 'techy', but just because they're more interested in browsing the net on their mobile.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

On the other hand, the iPhone is a premium (= expensive) device, and its ability to browse the 'real' web is marketed very heavily. It does attract users who want to browse the net on the go and can afford to pay for it. So I'd say that the average iPhone user does use more data than the average Android user - not because they're less 'techy', but just because they're more interested in browsing the net on their mobile.
    Of course there's another explanation - because iPhone's are only sold as "premium" devices (as you say), they are only paired up with similarly "premium" pricing plans - all of which have 'comfortable' amounts of mobile data allowed. So if you've got the allowance then there'll be less desire to be miserly in browsing the web.

On the other hand if, as you're saying, the 'droid devices are going downmarket, then they'll be on the budget plans that have very small data allowances - I'm thinking that the last time I was in the local Three store I'm sure they had the SE X10Mini on PAYG - which has a 250MB/3-months allowance. In which case you aren't going to want to waste that on browsing the internet perhaps?

Personally though, I think SiM's explanation is more likely - iPhone users tend to use Safari a lot, (the mobile version is actually quite good imho), whereas Android users make more use of non-http services (or go to web sites that weren't sampled).

Thread Information