Thread: AMD - Desktop Platforms

DR
    Thanks

AMD - Desktop Platforms

What would you like to know?

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    With the improvements of processors moving into mobile devices has AMD ever considured improving their low voltage model of processor and taking on INTEL strongArm processors in the PDA/Smartphone arena?, or is this considured non core business and a distraction from the important arena's that AMD are in?.

A lot has been rumoured about the number of units it is believed AMD could have sold if stock was available, is this something that AMD feels it could improve getting units into stock at suppliers quicker?.

Has the lack of 64bit Windows hampered the full development or tweaking of future 64bit processors?

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG
    A lot has been rumoured about the number of units it is believed AMD could have sold if stock was available, is this something that AMD feels it could improve getting units into stock at suppliers quicker?.
    TiG
    They're building another Fab right now...

Thanks
    Locking the multiplers on your chips has annoyed overclockers worldwide.
    Why did you do this, and do you have any plans to unlock them again, or even make a seperate range of unlocked processors for the overclockers market ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

DR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent
    Locking the multiplers on your chips has annoyed overclockers worldwide.
    Why did you do this, and do you have any plans to unlock them again, or even make a seperate range of unlocked processors for the overclockers market ?
    I have asked this one - it comes down to production - it wasn't done on purpose directly. On the K7 cores the architecture was the same and to change this would have cost 10s of Million. It makes perfect sense to lock them on A64s - of course, VIA and NV have got a work around in place.

Thanks
    It seems to me that outside computer enthusists and people who reseach deep into the best CPU, the general public hasn't heard of AMD; or if they have, they don't view AMD in the same light as intel chips because of marketing preceptions.

Does AMD have a long term solution to increase brand awareness and combat intel's goliath marketing machine to win the hearts of the "General public" who isn't tech savy?

Thanks
    Yes, every customer i sell an AMD system to i have to first convince it's faster and cheaper than Intel.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LayZeh
    Yes, every customer i sell an AMD system to i have to first convince it's faster and cheaper than Intel.
    My whole argument is that AMD doesn't have the brand recognition from the average Joe and hence doesn't have the demand/sales of its CPU... and therefore doesn't have the money for marketing.... and therefore doesn't have the marketing budget and the brand recognition.

Anyone see the vicious cycle?

What would you say the break down is between techie vs average Joe …. 90%.... 85% of the population. Anyone see a scary parallel to AMD market share?

Anyone else see the possiblity of AMD being stuck at the same spot regardless of how good AMD products are? In fact, hasn’t AMD lost market share since the K6 years a while back?

-----
    Don’t get me wrong, I am an AMD loyalist. Just that this has all the making of a Greek tragedy.

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    What AMD need to do is break the business market first with servers and workstations. They must get the support of Tier 1 OEM's or they never will.

They just have to slog at it as they always have

Butuz

Thanks
    unlocked multipliers are SEMI usefull at best. Most people would say a 2500+ would easily hit 2.2Ghz and sometimes up to 2.4Ghz, people above that are not the "bulk" of overclockers, they are the guys who go that tiny bit extra. Even so you only need 200Mhz fsb for 2.2Ghz on a 2500+, the people who are pretty good can get up to 2.4-2.5Ghz at 220Mhz or so, and the extreme guys have no issue getting much ihgher fsb.

Its not something i've ever seen as important, just slightly so. Either way with amd's mobiles cores prices so closely to the desktop parts and in 80% of people believed to overclock further and be unlocked, whats the diff?

For now Intel is in an unbeatable position, while things like market share and market-ing go hand in hand, simple spending the same amount on marketing Intel do wouldn't change the real money contracts say between intel and dell, where intel make most of their profit. For instance dell apparently owes 5 BILLION to intel at the moment, which of its 80billion that dell have isn't much, but thats how much cash those contracts mean, and amd simple can't provide the numbers, or support or anything else to move and take over those contracts. AMD need to keep growing, getting cash(which they ain't been doing lately) and eventually when they have enough production capacity, the same levels of support then they can spend the big bucks and fight for the contracts.

Question for AMD, with the delay of windows 64, are they tempted to push into linux with the several supported distro's out already, and try to get companies such as ati and others to support linux more?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    I have asked this one - it comes down to production - it wasn't done on purpose directly. On the K7 cores the architecture was the same and to change this would have cost 10s of Million.
    No offense David, but AMD are pulling your leg if that's what they told you. Locking/unlocking AMD chips is done with the chip packaging, not the core itself. The locked, Post week 0340 chips appeared after a rash of remarked AMD chips came onto the market- it's a fraud prevention measure. The date on an AMD chip is the date of packaging by the way, not the date the actual core was made, they were still packaging Palomino cores in the middle of 2003, disabling some of the cache and selling them as Duron 1.3s.

The fact that they are still making locked and unlocked chips and selling them side by side shows you that they deliberately locked them, and not for cost of manufacturing reasons.

It makes perfect sense to lock them on A64s - of course, VIA and NV have got a work around in place.
    Again it's down to the packaging- the core steppings of Athlon FXs and Opterons are often the same, but the FXs are unlocked whereas Optys are not. The cores used on Socket 754 A64s are also the same; the packaging determines the maximum multiplier (e.g. 10 for the 3000 and 3200, 11 for the 3400) but you can use a lower one if you like.

Rich :¬)

Thread Information