Thread: ABIT - Motherboard Development

DR
    Thanks

ABIT - Motherboard Development

What would you ask this company if you could ask them anything?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    What would you ask this company if you could ask them anything?
    WHy are features such as "otes" cooling pushed, mosfets and other components on other boards, an7 and various other boards from multiple manufactures can provide same voltages with no extra fans or cooling shrouds. Also considering the poor design of the kv8 max 3 which stopped you fitting a heatsink without a little trouble. Also vdimm issues on the ic7 max3.

uguru so far has been extremely irritating, from beeping on release till software is installed and variables changed to stop the beeping(k8v max 3) to on the kv8 pro where changing voltages can make the settings in windows change and shutdown before you know whats happening. Will the software be developed further or will it be dropped. Most overclockers find mbm5 and clockgen more than fine.

When will we see REAL overclockers boards. A cheap board with max vdimm settings but without 4 channel raid, onboard gigabit nic's, 6/8channel sounds. ie a barebones board i can buy for £50 and risk killing it with phasechange, water cooling, heatsink attachments and so on. All manu's offer best overclocking options on their top end boards at top price, but i can't see a reason for a budget overclockers minded board. Sometimes it would be nice to risk a £50 mobo instead of a £150 one

Will there be a chance, that maybe on overclockers type boards we may see predone , warranty voiding adjustable pots so that those of us with completely unsteady hands and lack of any soldering ability (and even those that can) can up available voltages to levels they want. I also wondered if we might see some similar, or bios changeable options in gfx cards sometime soon?
    Last edited by drunkenmaster; 10-05-2004 at 11:36 PM.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    I'd love to see USB memory stick boot support come as standard on A-BIT boards, bit of a fan and this is the only thing that is bugging me at the moment that we've still not got. I see it as a real improvement to systems flexibility and view it as the required replacement for floppy disks in terms of small flexible storage.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    Along with TiG on the USB boot issue.

I also want to know why they refuse to fix the 10/10.5 multiplier issue on the NF7 range of boards that is present after the rev 10 BIOS (NF7-S in this case)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    NF7-S North-Bridge Cooler

The fan is useless, i've built several machines based around this board and often the board arrives with a noisy rattly fan or the symtoms gradually develop over a period of a couple of weeks. This really reflects on Abits image as a quality consious manufacturer, fix it.

Thanks
    IC7 range - why oh why do they sell these boards as "overclockers boards" when they struggle to run over 250FSB with the memory divider @ 5:4 or 3:2.

e.g. with PC3200 memory you need to run it at 5:4 to get 250FSB but this causes the system to hang. Its a KNOWN fault with IC7 range and numerous BIOS flashes have not fixed it even tho they say they have.

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    Woah... Some a-bit bashing here eh? I'd just like to say that the overclocking potential of any board isn't something you should take for granted. If you aren't willing to be a guinea pig you should hang back, read around on various forums and see which board is the safest bet. Overclocking is really something for nothing so you shouldn't count on getting anything. My XP1700+ tops out at 2.1GHz (and needs a lot of extra voltage to get there stable) and many people were posting about getting 2.3 - 2.4GHz with the same stepping around the time I bought it. Am I dissapointed? Yes... Do I think this is AMD's fault? No... Nor Asus's (I have the A7N8X deluxe) even though I know there are many issues with that board (in terms of getting high FSB overclocks)

On the other points though I too would like to see better overclocking options on lower end boards but I'd also assume that they're on the higher end boards for lots of different reasons:

1) To help differentiate between the low end and high end boards (and boards from other manufacturers)

2) The higher end boards may possibly have better components (voltage regs, caps, cooling for them) and be validated to actually have the potential to overclock (i.e. time = money).

For what it's worth there are cheaper options out there for overclocking boards (Epox springs to mind as do the current DFI nForce2 motherboards) though if you're anything like me you'll probably tend to stick to the top end manufacturers (Asus and Abit IMO) because they tend to offer better packages and in my experience at least have more stable boards... Making it rather difficult to have your cake and eat it. It would be nice to have the options to get a board without some of the features you don't need (firewire, dual LAN for example) but so many features are built into chipsets these days that this is no longer practical (back in the days of Pentium 3s I used to hunt high and low for a board that didn't include the then very crappy on board sound solutions)

Anyway - this is a rant against the other rants above. And I do actually have a question:

A-bit pioneered the idea of legacy free motherboards but this initiative seems to have dropped by the wayside now. Are there any plans to carry on with this line of products? I know for myself and many others it's been a long time since we used serial ports, parallel ports or floppy disc drives... Isn't it about time we used the rear IO panel space for something more useful and abandoned the wealth of extra brackets supplied with motherboards these days?

Thanks
    True.

They should start ditching legacy ports BUT always always keep PS2 support. Its the only way I can ever get into the BIOS of my machines as my USB keyboard/mouse aint powered until after XP starts loading (drivers)

Also, along with adding the (what now seems like) obligatory front USB and FW ports, stick in a speaker and mic output to the front as standard. Having the speaker one SHARED with the rear speaker output (green one) would also be good as I know plenty ppl that continually swap their speakers/headphones plugs when playing games and then coming off for net browsing and want to play music etc.

This would mean they can have BOTH plugged in and just switch the speakers off when they play games or turn the headphones down when listening thru speakers as both ports are "always on" (if you know what I mean)
    Last edited by Richie; 11-05-2004 at 03:58 PM.

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

Thanks
    Alright, please ask them if it's possible to produce a desktop board for the Pentium M. The performance and overclockability of the Dothan is looking very good, and I believe the QDR bus is the same as the P4 although the socket is different. If Abit could hack together a board using the 865, 875 or Via PT880/890 chipset and give us access to Speedstep in the bios to reduce the multis and up the FSB, then I reckon they'd have customers quewing out the door. If anyone can do it Abit can, they did after all give us the BP6.

Rich :¬)

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie
    True.

They should start ditching legacy ports BUT always always keep PS2 support. Its the only way I can ever get into the BIOS of my machines as my USB keyboard/mouse aint powered until after XP starts loading (drivers)
    Absolutely agree. Get rid of the p// and serial ports in favour of SPDIF out and more USB ports!
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    Onboard switches would be nice, EPoX style.

Thread Information