Thread: Intel - Desktop Platforms

DR
    Thanks

Intel - Desktop Platforms

What would you like to know?

Thanks
    What exactly is going on with Intel's plan for desktop chips? What are the problems (that they think) are wrong with Prescott and how (and when) is the Pentium M line going to replace it?

Also, what exactly will happen with the dual cores? Shouldn't it generate more heat, and if so, will we be using bigger heatsinks? What can we expect as performance users?

Thanks
    What is your stance on the Prescott core, to me and everyone else it's clear that it's never going to turn into a successful product, maybe if you promote it in the antartic but not anywhere with a room temperature of 20c or above.

Thanks
    Prescott

What is your stance? To me and everyone else it's clear that it's never going to turn into a successful product, or at least, not a money making one with the issues surrounding it, huge and expensive retail heatsinks and your forceful attitude that everyone should move to BTX the main reason being to support the heat of Prescott.

Having said that, i have a suggestion... ANTARTICA! A practically unconquerred market and with your processor they'd be able to keep their homes warm aswell as enjoy the speed of an Intel processor (not as fast as a A64 but that doesn't have the free room-heating feature).

DR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LayZeh
    What is your stance on the Prescott core, to me and everyone else it's clear that it's never going to turn into a successful product, maybe if you promote it in the antartic but not anywhere with a room temperature of 20c or above.
    Maybe a little harsh - Remember P4 was naff when it first came out - and maybe Intel do have something hidden which will impress us...

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    I'd say that Intel already does have something in the pipeline that will impress us - desktop Pentium Ms - looking at the preview at x86secret.com it's almost up with the Athlon 64 right now. Would be interesting to see what it could do with an on board memory controller. 64-bit support is supposedly already been built into the Prescott core (but like hyperthreading was 64-bit support is currently disabled) and I believe an on board memory controller was planned for the Netburst architecture at some point. So questions:

1) Is an on-die memory controller planned for the Pentium M based chips?

2) Is 64-bit planned for the Pentium Ms?

3) In the medium to long term (particularly because of the 64-bit already being present in the Prescott / Nocona architecture) will we see the Netburst architecture continue to be positioned in the server market or is the plan to migrate the whole of the x86 product line over to the Pentium M architecture ASAP?

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Can we / will we be able to use Pentium M cpus in my desktop machine? Im assuming the pin-out is different or the i855 chipsets are the only ones that register the chipID?

Id thought id ask before attempting to rip my 1.7M out my lappy Or consider buying a Dothan cored one.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    I understood that Prescott's performance would be "El Stinko" until at least 3.6GHz, when "supposedly" the speed would overcome the problems caused by the very architectural changes that were designed to help it "go fast." So we should give Intel the benefit of the doubt. But if by the time the 3.8GHz Prescott arrives and it still smells, then let the catcalls commence!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansfragger
    I understood that Prescott's performance would be "El Stinko" until at least 3.6GHz, when "supposedly" the speed would overcome the problems caused by the very architectural changes that were designed to help it "go fast." So we should give Intel the benefit of the doubt. But if by the time the 3.8GHz Prescott arrives and it still smells, then let the catcalls commence!
    The performance will rise, but the extra heat output may not be worth the performance, don't you think? I for one don't need a space heater beneath my desk...

Thanks
    Great point. I had originally planned on water cooling the CPU and Northbridge when building my new system, but after reading some articles, it appears that current "Prescott ready" mobos power circuitry will run hot as a pistol no matter what you do. It will be interesting to read reviews on the Alderwood based mobos to see if Intel can solve that problem.

Thread Information