Thread: News - Apple no longer pre-installing Flash on Macs

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple no longer pre-installing Flash on Macs

Adobe spat continues as plug-in removed for ‘security’ reasons.
    Read more.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: News - Apple no longer pre-installing Flash on Macs

In fairness to Safari, its probably a good idea to remove flash.

In fact, its probably a good idea for them to drop all internetworked traffic, if its not from the local zone, drop it. Much safer, and if Apple applied this to their press stuff, much less noiesy!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Registered+
    Thanks

As much as i hate apple I do think that they should not be pre-installing third party applications as default but allowing people to get these applications when they are needed. As far as I am aware MS don't provide flash player as default with Windows 7.

As stated in the story if the machine sits in a warehouse for 6 months then the shipped version of flash could be a old version and apple could be shipping computers with a security hole that they can not control through auto-update ect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stewis View Post
    As stated in the story if the machine sits in a warehouse for 6 months then the shipped version of flash could be a old version and apple could be shipping computers with a security hole that they can not control through auto-update ect.
    This is something that bugs me.

Software as widespread as Flash ought to be able to update itself automatically, or along the lines of Windows Update (so you get a means to choose how you want it to update). As it is, Adobe give you the choice to turn off Flash updates (where you still get notifications periodically, or you do on the image I've made at work) or you can keep notifications on, where they pop up for each individual user constantly.

Just allow an option for silent updates for your platforms, please Adobe... and I don't mean a 5mb program sitting resident in memory permanently - a scheduled task running silently once a month would be adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by stewis View Post
    As much as i hate apple I do think that they should not be pre-installing third party applications as default but allowing people to get these applications when they are needed. As far as I am aware MS don't provide flash player as default with Windows 7.
    No, but those selling the system do, and a lot more besides. MS don't sell the laptop, only the license for Windows. Obviously the same doesn't apply to Apple.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

I would love it if in response, Adobe said "That's fine, if you don't want our products on your systems, we'll stop spending our time and resources on supporting your OS". Cue mass exodus of 'arty' people using Apple computers who can no longer use photoshop.

Not going to happen though.

Thread Information