Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Microsoft admits WP7 could take 2 years to catch up with rivals

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Microsoft admits WP7 could take 2 years to catch up with rivals

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    Funny you mention a blackberry, me and a few mates were bored in our electronics lab and decided to test how long boot ups were on our phones, somehow one person had about 3 phones on him, in total we tested:

A £10 LG phone (cant remember model, no slide/touch etc etc)
    A Blackberry Storm 1 or 2
    2x Blackberry Pearl 8120

and my HTC HD2

The black berry pearls and storms took about 7 minutes (no joke.), the LG took about 15 seconds and my hd2 took about 30seconds. Now tbh id rather a WM phone that doesn't last long than having to try and boot it during an emergency!

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but BB arent the best . WM has come a huge way, try out windows 6.5.5 and you will see that and obviously WP7 is a big step from that as well!.
    No I quite agree, not quite sure what RIM did with the OS5 update but it does take a long time to boot up, but I rarely have to reboot the phone anyway.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevsta View Post
    As for the Windows 7 Phone kernel it is the Windows 6 Kernel that was released back in 2006 and has a few tweaks. Current tweak level is R3 that was released sometime in 2009.
    Oh dear lord.

a few tweaks? simple tweaks like say increasing the number of concurrent processes drastically, adding in ASLR...

So at the MOST its a year old. I'm also guessing your not a software developer because frankley you don't throw away all the code for every release. XP SP2 was more of a change in kernel behaviour and the OS in general than say OSX Panther to Tiger, by a wide wide margin.

They took features from Windows 7 CE kernel, and due to it been very modular have been able to finish them very specifically for the specification hardware ahead of the 7 release. Most of these changes are in the beta of windows 7 ce you can see today.

When you actually look at the kernel on paper so to speak, its much more advanced than Andriod or iOS and blackberry well they aren't even in the running. Andriod suffers a bit for been very monolithic, despite what linus says, this isn't just a marketing term, thou the effect is less drastic on a ringless arm CPU.

When it comes to battery life and the like, from an integrators perspective its always been easy to get windows CE working quite well, thou as always peoples milage may vary, but when you look at almost identical phone specs (process radio screen batcap) they tend to have near identical battery life between andriod and winmo 6.5.

However this is about 7, 99% of the world never knew windows mobile 6.5 I think its fair to say, so any bad feelings are probably not going to be brought across to the new platform.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    However this is about 7, 99% of the world never knew windows mobile 6.5 I think its fair to say, so any bad feelings are probably not going to be brought across to the new platform.
    None of the retailers wanted to sell it.

When I was last looking at phones, I had to specifically ask to see a WinMo phone (none on display in any shops), and only T-Mobile had one... which was accompanied with "lulz, you don't actually want this"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information