Thread: News - Samsung debuts Android MP3 player

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Samsung debuts Android MP3 player

A bit like an Android version of the iPod Touch?
    Read more.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Re: News - Samsung debuts Android MP3 player

Coolbeans. Looks like a good plan. Though it'd have to be a little special to make me, as an Android owner, shell out for one over an iTouch - it's nice to have a little variety, especially with apps, and there's quite a few useful apps on either OS that aren't on the other. If I had an iPhone though, I'd be very tempted by this when it comes out.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Powered by Android 2.1, it offers access to the Android Market.
    I wonder how they managed to persuade Google to let them do this on a non-phone device?

I thought that was the whole reason the Galaxy Tab has voice call capability, so Google would see it as just a very large phone.

Thanks

Not the first I'm afraid Samsung.
    Philips released the GoGear Connect last year which was an android based MP3 player

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by capt_cornflake View Post
    Not the first I'm afraid Samsung.
    Philips released the GoGear Connect last year which was an android based MP3 player
    The iPhone wasn't the first touchscreen phone... :/

I'm ITX
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    I wonder how they managed to persuade Google to let them do this on a non-phone device?

I thought that was the whole reason the Galaxy Tab has voice call capability, so Google would see it as just a very large phone.
    Just what I was going to say. Would reduce the cost of the Tab surely, if it wasn't a phone too.

It's 4.98*

Thanks

I don't know. The iPad has no reason not to include the functionality of a phone - it has all (or most) of the hardware and software. It wouldn't take anything for it to become a phone - which might be handy in an emergency if you're an Apple whore given the life of iPhones, and indeed most smartphones - without looking I guess there's little reason for that functionality not to be buried in an Android device if it has the microphone and speaker... though it would need a sim slot, which isn't listed here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post

There are a lot of Android tablets out there without phone capabilities. We sell a really, really bad Binatone model where I work.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by TheVoice View Post
    There are a lot of Android tablets out there without phone capabilities. We sell a really, really bad Binatone model where I work.
    Yes, but they don't have the Google Marketplace installed on them by default, that has to be side loaded on by you.

Thanks

Samsung really don't get it do they?! Who in their right mind would pay £149 for one of these, when an iPod is available for just a few quid more. The iPod has iTunes (crap to use, but THE biggest digital music store in the world), a massive third party accessories market (for docks, cases, music streaming etc.), not to mention the already HUGE app store.

Samsung need to wake up and smell the coffee and realise they CANNOT compete with Apple on design and functionality and hit Apple where it hurts - on price. They were under the same illusion with the Galaxy Tab - not exactly a run away success there either... :/

1 wheel > 2 wheels > 4 wheels | My Photos

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

A few quid more? The cheapest ipod is £180. It's also non-upgradable in either battery (meaning it will eventually die) or memory, whereas Samsung's effort can easily and cheaply be upgraded to the equivalent of one of Apple's much more expensive offerings. And there really isn't that much between the app stores IMO. they each have their ups and downs.

And the Galaxy tablet is the third-best selling Android device IIRC, and it didn't even attempt to compete on price.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
    A few quid more? The cheapest ipod is £180. It's also non-upgradable in either battery (meaning it will eventually die) or memory, whereas Samsung's effort can easily and cheaply be upgraded to the equivalent of one of Apple's much more expensive offerings. And there really isn't that much between the app stores IMO. they each have their ups and downs.

And the Galaxy tablet is the third-best selling Android device IIRC, and it didn't even attempt to compete on price.
    The new iTouch was available around xmas time for around £170 making it just £20 more expensive than Samsung RRP for their version (although no doubt the Samsung price will drop after release). Can't argue with the upgradeability argument, but I've not known many ipods die through battery life before the owners upgrade to a newer model.

The App store is almost 3 times bigger than android market, and while the market is growing at a considerable pace and Apple's app validation system truly sucks, it's quite often the case that popular apps are released to the app store first and android users have had to wait for some time before they get their hands on it.

Looking at the sales figures looks like the Galaxy tab was more popular than I thought (though I can't understand why) with 1.5million sales during it's first quarter on sale. The iPad still trounced it though with over 4million sold for the same period.

And with so many iPod's already out there and the popularity of the app store and iTunes, you haven't commented on perhaps the biggest selling point of the iPod - that of third party accessories and support from hardware manufacturers??? How are Samsung going to compete with that?

1 wheel > 2 wheels > 4 wheels | My Photos

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by madmaca View Post
    The new iTouch was available around xmas time for around £170 making it just £20 more expensive than Samsung RRP for their version (although no doubt the Samsung price will drop after release). Can't argue with the upgradeability argument, but I've not known many ipods die through battery life before the owners upgrade to a newer model.

The App store is almost 3 times bigger than android market, and while the market is growing at a considerable pace and Apple's app validation system truly sucks, it's quite often the case that popular apps are released to the app store first and android users have had to wait for some time before they get their hands on it.

Looking at the sales figures looks like the Galaxy tab was more popular than I thought (though I can't understand why) with 1.5million sales during it's first quarter on sale. The iPad still trounced it though with over 4million sold for the same period.

And with so many iPod's already out there and the popularity of the app store and iTunes, you haven't commented on perhaps the biggest selling point of the iPod - that of third party accessories and support from hardware manufacturers??? How are Samsung going to compete with that?
    I agree about the accessory support, which will probably remain superior for the ipod due to the brand name if nothing else, but I reckon there will be a significant choice on the 'bay soon after release - certainly not enough difference to convince me to buy an ipod if I were on the fence.

The relative success of the galaxy tab, a seemingly overpriced object, says to me that there's plenty of demand for Android devices. And there are more iOS apps, but as I said earlier in the thread, there are plenty of apps on either that aren't on the other. It's not going to wipe the floor with the ipod, but I don't think it's going to be outmatched either.

Thread Information