Thread: News - Intel chief responds to Microsoft’s ARM-compatible Windows announcement

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Intel chief responds to Microsoft’s ARM-compatible Windows announcement

Otellini unfazed by operating system's future divergence.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Intel chief responds to Microsoft’s ARM-compatible Windows announcement

The sooner Intel's archaic licensing and legacy die, the better. That's the problem with legacy though... it doesn't die quickly enough. Hopefully more and more devices become driverless (such as printers) and reduce the dependency on old stuff

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Intel chief responds to Microsoft’s ARM-compatible Windows announcement

I'm quite interested to see how ARM is increasing their reach now especially for tablets.

And people are now using less of their CPU power than before (apart from gamers pretty much) - that's why Intel was able to sell the Atom - people don't need that much power.

The "cloud" while might seem like a buzzword is a serious one. More and more people use the Internet to do their thing, be it emails, photographs, documents etc.

Granted, desktop applications are still more popular for things like photographs but Flickr, Smugmug, Picasa et al are just growing in user numbers. Google Docs and alternatives see increasing uses. I've even started using Google Docs myself over OpenOffice sometime myself (OpenOffice still get the bulk of use but the fact is...I used Google Docs when I thought I wouldn't do that...came in very useful when I was on the move).

It's no wonder that the number one application in use is the browser. With that, you don't need a massive eight-core water-cooled 10GHz CPU with 16GB of RAM etc. You can actually get quite a lot done on a tablet with a tiny fraction of the processing power.

The Motorola Atrix phone was for me one of the most interesting device coming out of CES. It's a phone. THere are various docks for it. One of the dock is just a LCD screen and a keyboard (plus batteries). Plug the phone in that dock, it turn into a "netbook". You pretty much is just using that phone. It's also your computer. Granted it's not a "powerful" computer, but it's good enough for web surfing, word processing etc. I believe it come with a dual core ARM CPU. There is currently NO Intel CPU that can compete against this.

More about the Atrix phone here - motorola.com/Consumers/GB-EN/Consumer-Products-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/Motorola-ATRIX-GB-EN

No it's not going to crush Windows and Intel - but I hope it does cut down their market share a bit in the future. Let's have some competition in there! It'll drive innovation a lot.

It's nice to see the beginning of some competition - Intel pretty must have the heavy-grunt end of the market sewn up, but ARM have the low power highly efficient market sewn up and the two is starting to cross over a tiny bit - there's even talks about an ARM powered server!

(that said....I still want a 8 core water cooled 10GHz CPU with 16GB of RAM ).

Thread Information