Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: News - Nokia said to launch N9 running Intel Atom and MeeGo at MWC

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,807
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,863 times in 636 posts

    News - Nokia said to launch N9 running Intel Atom and MeeGo at MWC

    Just rumour for now, but if anyone’s going to pioneer Intel’s smartphone efforts it will surely be Nokia.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    8 times in 4 posts
    • Jedibeeftrix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X99 SLI-Plus
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820k
      • Memory:
      • 4x 4GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB (SSD) 2TB (7200rpm) 2TB (5900rpm)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Lightning 7970
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 750W Gold
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT05
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Dell 2405FPW

    Re: News - Nokia said to launch N9 running Intel Atom and MeeGo at MWC

    If the lead Meego device rolls up in May sporting an Atom SoC then i won't touch it with a barge-pole, and i have an n900 now and have been cheering Meego on ever since·

  3. #3
    Super Nerd
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,785
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    105 times in 72 posts

    Re: News - Nokia said to launch N9 running Intel Atom and MeeGo at MWC

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
    If the lead Meego device rolls up in May sporting an Atom SoC then i won't touch it with a barge-pole, and i have an n900 now and have been cheering Meego on ever since·
    Awfully shortsighted given that there is no data on how an Atom SOC will peform in a phone size device with MeeGo on and what the power metrics will be... perhaps at least read some reviews first

  4. #4
    Senior Member Brewster0101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,614
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked
    54 times in 44 posts
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

    Re: News - Nokia said to launch N9 running Intel Atom and MeeGo at MWC

    What software support does meego have compared to Android or i os or even mobile 7.

    I think this is a case of too little too late for Nokia.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    8 times in 4 posts
    • Jedibeeftrix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X99 SLI-Plus
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820k
      • Memory:
      • 4x 4GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB (SSD) 2TB (7200rpm) 2TB (5900rpm)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Lightning 7970
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 750W Gold
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT05
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Dell 2405FPW

    Re: News - Nokia said to launch N9 running Intel Atom and MeeGo at MWC

    Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Awfully shortsighted given that there is no data on how an Atom SOC will peform in a phone size device with MeeGo on and what the power metrics will be... perhaps at least read some reviews first
    there has been nothing in the history of x86 atom to make me believe that it can deliver equivalent performance/watt as Arm A9.

    there is no real need for it either given the ecosystem of ARM/linux development that has sprung up around touch-enabled market.

  6. #6
    Super Nerd
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,785
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    105 times in 72 posts

    Re: News - Nokia said to launch N9 running Intel Atom and MeeGo at MWC

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
    there has been nothing in the history of x86 atom to make me believe that it can deliver equivalent performance/watt as Arm A9.
    It also very much depends on the OS, and whether the raw performance is put to could use and how the device is designed (battery etc) as to whether the experience is a good one, perf/W of the the CPU is part of the puzzle only, and not many of the A9 SOCs have been heavily tested yet either in phones...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
    there is no real need for it either given the ecosystem of ARM/linux development that has sprung up around touch-enabled market.
    Competition is always good for the consumer, even if the new competitor is only minor it forces the incumbent to stay on the ball. Ref: Athlon vs Pentium 4 results in Core.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife (Scotland)
    Posts
    4,991
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    220 times in 190 posts
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

    Re: News - Nokia said to launch N9 running Intel Atom and MeeGo at MWC

    Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    It also very much depends on the OS, and whether the raw performance is put to could use and how the device is designed (battery etc) as to whether the experience is a good one, perf/W of the the CPU is part of the puzzle only, and not many of the A9 SOCs have been heavily tested yet either in phones...
    There's also that comment from an Intel tech that ARM designs are very "mature" whereas Atom is comparatively new. Agree with this, or not, ymmv.
    But I do agree that you can't necessary see Atom and judge it on the performance of the current parts - remember that these are the new devices that Intel's pushing. And Intel didn't get to where they are now by not learning how to improve their product with each generation (P4 excluded of course)...
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Competition is always good for the consumer, even if the new competitor is only minor it forces the incumbent to stay on the ball. Ref: Athlon vs Pentium 4 results in Core.
    Or that competing with Intel has forced a.n.other to raise their game - Phenom II hexacores are quite good, although probably(?) technically less capable than i5/i7. In which case it stands to reason that ARM will have to keep "on the ball" to stay in the market.

    I just wish that there was an Android version from Nokia... :'( Although I've got Meego 1.1 running on my old Acer netbook and it's very usable.

    Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-05-2010, 11:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •