Thread: News - Nintendo: Cheap mobile games could damage industry

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Nintendo: Cheap mobile games could damage industry

Reggie Fils-Aime speaks out against cheap mobile games. Does Nintendo have cause for concern?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Nintendo: Cheap mobile games could damage industry

This really angers me! Console producers have been enforcing closed markets and inflated prices for years. It's about time simpler, cheap, more fun games can flourish. F U Reggie.

Thanks

I'm not quite sure why these have to be mutually exclusive, even on the same platform.

For example, surely the 3DS could have a healty downloadable 2$ marketplace, staying competative with the iPhone etc, whilst still offering "full priced" software in cartridge format. Pretty much like what they already have with WiiWare/DSiware, except those are overpriced. Whilst I do wish the hidden-object and similar games would move from cartridge to download (with suitable pricing), I don't mind paying for a more elaborately developed "plug in" retail product. I don't think anyone would expect to get the latest sprawling 30+hr RPG for 2$, but nor would they want to spend 25ukp on a 4hr "Mystery Object Finder 4 - The Lost Widget".

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Hands up those who want to carry around and plug in a cartridge when the alternative is downloading it onto the console to use conveniently whenever you want?

Thought so.

Re pricing, there probably will remain a market for more expensive 'full-featured' games. But IMO, for many people a dozen cheap (£2) games will be more worthwhile than one £30 game. Even more so given the many free games available on other platforms. Still, we shall see.

Registered+
    Thanks

Unfortunately for nintendo one of the best things still left in our 'free' world is the ability to compete however we want.

They can either like it or lump it. But yeah, I'll pay 30 bucks for a 3ds version of angry birds...not.
    Oh wait, 3ds... that means 40 bucks!

Thanks

PSP Go wasn't exactly a big hit. No, I don't think that having to plug in a cartridges is a deal breaker, or even what is concerning Nintendo. To me, I see it perhaps a bit like online music distribution where everything is sold as MP3s because that's adequate for most users.

It may well be that Nintendo (et al.) is going to face the issue of diminishing returns. A £30 games may not provide 30x the level of enjoyment as a £0.99 game. Nor will it necessarily last 30x longer (and if it did, it could feel like it's a story is dragging on). The industry -could- adapt and divide the manpower to make casual games. Some would argue that's what happens with the Wii anyway. If they did that, I don't think the industry will be damaged, I suspect they would be able to turn a profit just fine.

It would be damaging to me, a gamer who would reasonably pay £25 for a decent game though. Sure £35 is a bit steep even for me, and I find myself buying discounted/second hand games, but push come to shove I would rather pay £35 for a 'excellent 30+h games' than 35 'pretty decent casual 10+h game', just because I don't have that much gaming time. And I reckon that I might still just about prefer paying £20 for that 'excellent' game (on sales/second hand), than I would 3 casual games with £17 left in my pocket.
    Last edited by TooNice; 07-02-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

And Nintendo doesn't like having to play catch-up with the WiiWare and DSiWare stores. Perhaps Nintendo should think of it like this. How many people will pirate a game on a iPod Touch or iPhone compared to a Nintendo DS?

There seems to be plenty of games which are enjoyable on the iPhone and other mobile platforms. The DS is a dumping ground for crapware.

Sony seems to have the right idea with the Xperia Play.

Thread Information