Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions - I’d queue for the toilet, but not an iPad

Thanks

Re: Opinions - I’d queue for the toilet, but not an iPad

That is just shocking...selling your spot? and that queue! i mean really?
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

But the iPad 2 is (a) toilet.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    Some people do not value their time or have common sense to begin with. Every idiot who queued for gadgets like these are blithering idiots.
    It really rubs me the wrong way when people imposes their values over others. "If you buy an Apple product, you are a sheep". "If you don't have an Apple product, you are uncool". "If you queue to buy a gadget, you don't value your time (well, same argument can be made for time spent in forums)". "If you believe in a religion, you are an idiot". "If you don't believe in a religion, you are corrupt and deserve an eternity in hell fire" etc. etc. etc.

Can't people accept that with over 6 billions people living in this world, we are going to have different values. And so long as their values aren't harmful to the people around them, what's the big deal? Where does this need of labelling people come from?

I was going to give this article the benefit of doubt, but looking at the chosen image, the title, and the way it is written, the "But look, whatever floats your boat man" line is added to cover yourself. You (the author) don't really mean it, do you?

4. Received thanks from:

kasavien (28-03-2011),Platinum (28-03-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    That logic is badly flawed, and I hope I don't need to explain why.
    Thanks Spock

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    I was going to give this article the benefit of doubt, but looking at the chosen image, the title, and the way it is written, the "But look, whatever floats your boat man" line is added to cover yourself. You (the author) don't really mean it, do you?
    I think it was all meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek mate. And the topic is queuing...

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I have the same opinion of people who queue, sometimes for hours, to get into a smelly club full of pretentious people (usually after having to pay a fair enough of money just for that privilege), who then proceed to pay insane amounts of money just to poison themselves and risk their life.

It's no different than that, just a lot safer and healthier

Essentially we're all different people with different values - I think that TooNice hits it perfectly. For me, I queued for an iPhone 4 for 2 hours..and hell I enjoyed it. I got some time off work, spent the morning chatting with some friendly like minded people in the queue, got free coffee and doughnuts and the thrill factor of getting my nice new gadget on launch day. I personally wouldn't queue for an iPad (much less an iPad2) but then tablets don't really interest me that much.

Each to their own really. I would have queued for a 3Ds but Tesco were kind enough to deliver it to me on thursday, so there was no need

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I was once in a queue and it was rubbish!

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

*prods fire* maybe iP(x) buyers queue for things because they don't actually know technology has given them an easier way?

is that... is that irony?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

10. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (27-03-2011),j.o.s.h.1408 (27-03-2011),kasavien (28-03-2011),Terbinator (26-03-2011)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Runs away quickly!!

12. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (26-03-2011),j.o.s.h.1408 (27-03-2011),Noxvayl (28-03-2011),Platinum (28-03-2011),razer121 (27-03-2011),Terbinator (26-03-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
    Thanks Spock
    The ladies typically have longer queues than the gents, does that taking a leak is a "bigger event" for the ladies than the gents? If you had to queue 20 minutes to use the bathroom on Monday because the venue is packed, and no time at all for your best friend's small private wedding the following day (or even the same day), does that make, again, the former a "bigger event" than the later"? What queueing mainly shows is the (short term) demand vs service capacity.

At best, it could be the highlights of their day for those people. You might be able to get away saying that, given that it's time that could be used things that day. Yet I doubt that the average person's life is so fulfilling that no time is spent in ways that can be subjectively viewed as wasteful. If the excitement they get from getting a new toy exceeds their usual hobby, so what? If a person gave up an invitation to a friend's wedding for that, I'd consider their priorities messed up, but if it's time that would've otherwise been spent posting in a forum? I'd definitely say to each their own.

Perhaps no one on Hexus has ever queued for a new toy. But I know many pre-orders games even before reviews are out. It's good seeing studios getting support, yet it's not strictly that rational. We can also see people getting excited about new games as release date nears. So I can see how people can get (irrationally) excited from waiting for something new. Maybe not to the extent that they may not be willing to queue (then again, I wonder if no one in Hexus have queued for SC2), but enough to pre-order.

Personally, I don't get excited enough to queue up or pre-order for something I could get sooner or later after the reviews are out. But I genuinely see nothing to it. I certainly see no need to question why given that it's harmless to me.
    Last edited by TooNice; 26-03-2011 at 10:17 PM.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcmiller View Post
    i dont get the obsession with the ipad its an overpriced toy... why would you want one over a laptop...
    Because it isn't an alternative to a laptop. You probably wouldn't write a 25,000 word dissertation on an ipad, but if you want to have a quick look at Hexus while you are sitting in front of the TV, is it easier to pick up an Ipad, or sit balancing a clamshell laptop on your lap? Probably easier to use the ipad.

Apple sell a tightly integrated product, hardware and software are very tightly integrated and controlled. The user experience across the Apple range is consistent. And the products work, out of the box, and they work well. And if that integration and control comes at a price premium, then there are lots of people prepared to pat that because they have had enough of BSOD in the past, driver problems etc - even if MS have come to grips with quality control (as far as they can with third party developers).

I have some friends with smartphones. One is a Samsung Galaxy with Android - its a good phone, but she can't wait to get rid of it and get an iphone like her husband. Why? because there is noticeable lag when operating any of the touch screen controls, the iphone just feels more responsive.

I don't own any Apple kit apart from a very old ipod (2nd generation) but when I look to replace my 'phone I will certainly be looking at an iphone - simply because I know what I'll be getting - and that is why Apple products sell well.
    Last edited by peterb; 27-03-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Typo correction
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

15. Received thanks from:

spoon_ (27-03-2011),Spud1 (27-03-2011)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Android will have a much bigger impact worldwide as it has a much bigger potential market. It has meant that the smartphone has become accessable to more people worldwide and it will do the same for tablet PCs too.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 27-03-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Android will have a much bigger impact worldwide as it has a much bigger potential market. It has meant that the smartphone has become accessable to more people worldwide and it will do the same for tablet PCs too.
    Not really - symbian and RIM have really done much more for the smartphone market than android, and the poor quality of the vast majority of current gen Android tablets does nothing for its reputation. Its popular in the enthusiast market due to the ease of hacking, and vast customisation..but in the home and business markets, it's just not what people want. Apple have played their part - the have the Tablet market sewn up at the moment, and have really helped in getting more people into smartphones..again the sales alone show this.

We can argue which is better until the end of time and never agree, but that doesn't matter. They both (all) sell and have their own markets, positives and negatives, it's up to each of us to decide which we prefer. Personally I am firmly in the Apple camp for my phone, and tablets are still too expensive to appeal to me, especially when my mac air can do everything a tablet can do and much more, whilst being lighter and more powerful. Oh and I can balance it on my lap without having to hold it..so much easier than a tablet!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Not really - symbian and RIM have really done much more for the smartphone market than android, and the poor quality of the vast majority of current gen Android tablets does nothing for its reputation. Its popular in the enthusiast market due to the ease of hacking, and vast customisation..but in the home and business markets, it's just not what people want. Apple have played their part - the have the Tablet market sewn up at the moment, and have really helped in getting more people into smartphones..again the sales alone show this.

We can argue which is better until the end of time and never agree, but that doesn't matter. They both (all) sell and have their own markets, positives and negatives, it's up to each of us to decide which we prefer. Personally I am firmly in the Apple camp for my phone, and tablets are still too expensive to appeal to me, especially when my mac air can do everything a tablet can do and much more, whilst being lighter and more powerful. Oh and I can balance it on my lap without having to hold it..so much easier than a tablet!
    Not really as you fail to see the much bigger picture in the long term and the fact that sales of Android phones have increased over 800% in the last year. This is despite it being later to the market than all of the other smartphone OSes:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/09/gar...rcent-in-2010/

It will be the most ubiquitous smartphone OS and will dominate the market in the next 10 years as it has opened up smartphone availability to the lower end of the market which means most of the worlds population.

Nokia had a chance to capatalise on the success of Symbian but have screwed it up.

BTW, Windows was dismissed at the time as being no real competition to the dominant Mac OS. However it could run on multiple hardware configurations and was cheaper.

Funny,how it is still the most ubiquitous OS on home computers.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 27-03-2011 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by ExHail View Post
    You aren't alone, I think queuing for items like that is bonkers.

I have an Nintendo DSi XL... and I don't plan on getting a 3DS at all. I find it ridiculous to think people will be wasting perfectly good DSi's when getting a 3DS and more so when Nintendo hasn't bothered giving it any thought at all. Such a waste of resources.

As for the iPad, I know better than to get myself locked into anything Apple. I literally can't afford to use their closed system.
    totally agree. pointless queing for an item IMO. never done it before. never will.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Not really as you fail to see the much bigger picture in the long term and the fact that sales of Android phones have increased over 800% in the last year. This is despite it being later to the market than all of the other smartphone OSes:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/09/gar...rcent-in-2010/

It will be the most ubiquitous smartphone OS and will dominate the market in the next 10 years as it has opened up smartphone availability to the lower end of the market which means most of the worlds population.

Nokia had a chance to capatalise on the success of Symbian but have screwed it up.

BTW, Windows was dismissed at the time as being no real competition to the dominant Mac OS. However it could run on multiple hardware configurations and was cheaper.

Funny,how it is still the most ubiquitous OS on home computers.

well said. RIM and symbian has been around for donkey years so of course its currenly more accessible then android but people need to look at the bigger picture and realize the rate android is increasing.

diddnt nokia and MS combine? i wonder why

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information