Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: News - Windows 7 overtakes XP as most popular desktop OS in United States

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Windows 7 overtakes XP as most popular desktop OS in United States

But XP still way ahead globally.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Windows 7 overtakes XP as most popular desktop OS in United States

Really can't understand the mentality of those who don't upgrade from XP to 7. I know people who have stated they will "never" change....perhaps having their bank account hacked because they are still on XP and IE 6 might help them decide...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Really can't understand the mentality of those who don't upgrade from XP to 7. I know people who have stated they will "never" change....perhaps having their bank account hacked because they are still on XP and IE 6 might help them decide...
    Most people don't have a choice at work. But then, they probably wouldn't be doing online banking at work either.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Cost is another factor. If XP does the job still then there are people who won't upgrade until required especially if you already have another OS such as Ubuntu installed. Many legacy applications(and even many games) still work better under XP so it is still going to be in use for a while. On top of this if your browsing habits are safe,you run under a user account which is not admin and use the appropriate security software and a newer browser then TBH you will be still fine in most cases ATM.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 11-04-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Now with added Ruffus Dog Tattysnuc's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Tattysnuc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus 570X Strix F
      • CPU:
      • 3900X @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb Rysen C18 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2080 ti under Bykski water
      • PSU:
      • eVGA 850W
      • Case:
      • TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

I'd hedge that this also is affected by the different policies by Europe vs the US for beating the recession.

The US are spending their way through, which is keeping cash moving, and therefore companies are still spending. In Europe, upgrading IT systems seems to be being done more conservatively due to the high costs involved.

For instance, we are using XP in the office, and have gone through 2 sales in 12 months. Now that we're stable and have a long term (?) owner, the upgrade work is being scheduled, but behind other initiatives because they deliver better and more tangible cost benefits.

My concern is that if MS bring forward the release of Windows 8 too soon, we and several others no doubt will skip windows 7 altogether and just wait for 8 to be bedded in.

Personally I think MS need to push a corporate OS as opposed to trying to get one OS to do everything. Something like using a corporate network version of the Cloud and Windows Server, with dumb terminals with NO OS, just a some software that allow them to log on and connect to the Network and "local cloud" facilities would be how I'd see it going ultimately, especially now that the internet and networking speeds are as good as they are.

~Tatty~
    Join the HEXUS Folding @ home team

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tattysnuc View Post
    My concern is that if MS bring forward the release of Windows 8 too soon, we and several others no doubt will skip windows 7 altogether and just wait for 8 to be bedded in.
    And then Windows 9 and 10 and 11. Milking the cow never stops! Typical Microsoft

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tattysnuc View Post
    I'd hedge that this also is affected by the different policies by Europe vs the US for beating the recession.

The US are spending their way through, which is keeping cash moving, and therefore companies are still spending. In Europe, upgrading IT systems seems to be being done more conservatively due to the high costs involved.
    Not seen this behaviour with the yankie doodles I deal with.

They have been 'bringing costs under control' aka slashing deeply the budget. 30% reduction in project resourcing etc.

The difference is the americans went in to the recession first, but unlike us they don't have the same worry attached to debt and GDP
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spoon_ View Post
    And then Windows 9 and 10 and 11. Milking the cow never stops! Typical Microsoft
    Quite, I've got windows for workgroups and thats the way I likes it.

There is absolutely no advantage what so ever with windows 7 over it, none, not one.

Unlike the OSX which churns out one per year and erm, charge you for it, with support very quickly if you don't keep upgrading.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Quite, I've got windows for workgroups and thats the way I likes it.

There is absolutely no advantage what so ever with windows 7 over it, none, not one.

Unlike the OSX which churns out one per year and erm, charge you for it, with support very quickly if you don't keep upgrading.
    Are you referring to SL? £26 cannot be much, can it?

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC573Z/A

How about 5 user license for £41 i.e. the family pack.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10-6-Snow-Le.../dp/B001AMPP0W

Also, lets try to keep the discussion on topic. Turning every thread into anti Apple/iPhone flame war is not gonna help, isn't it?

I'm not questioning how good or bad Windows 7 is, my comment is purely stating that releasing W8 too soon is gonna alienate people from going to W7 which is not adopting they way Microsoft would have wanted it i.e. get everyone off from XP to W7 and then flog them W8 in 12 months time...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I can.

Reason 1)

I have ..... erm .... I think 11 machines here (and I mean at home). So either I pirate it, or upgrading them all costs me a fortune. And gains me .... what, exactly?

Reason 2)

A friend of mine is in his 80's. And before anyone gets ideas about old farts not understanding technology, this guy is big-time sharp. He was in his 60's before he touched his first computer, but now he can build and fault-diagnose with the best of us, and loves stripping all the unnecessary stuff out of an OS to give him a lean install. He is quite capable of running W7, and indeed, tried it. But he didn't like it, and as he does less and less with computers now, XP does everything he wants, and he knows it inside out.

He doesn't want the hassle of a learning curve involved in finding new ways to do things he already knows how to do. For him, a PC (and he has several) is a tool to do a job. He just bought a new laptop and hunted around to find a decent spec with Vista rather than W7, explicitly for the "downgrade to XP" option.

Reason 3)

I have both hardware and software that I :-

a) use
    b) can't replace without incurring either large cost or significant work

and that won't run under W7. So I keep some machines on XP for that purpose.

Reason 4)

I develop some stuff for customers. If they have a live XP environment, I test on exactly the environment they'll be using live. That means I need XP. When the last of them goes entirely W7, my test machines will. But they not only don't want the cost of OS upgrades, and in some cases, hardware upgrades, but they emphatically don't want the cost of training loads of non-technical staff on the differences between doing things in XP and doing therm in Win7.

All told, and there are other reasons to those above, there are perfectly valid reasons why not everyone wants to upgrade. An enthusiast with a machine or two and wants the latest bells and whistles, or that wants to run something demanding the hardware or OS, might see a need to upgrade, but for a lot of people, it's an option not a need, and it can be a time-consuming pain in the backside to do, perhaps sources upgrades of software, and certainly having to spend a lot of time reinstalling all your apps, and transferring data, configurations, etc.

So for everyone, it comes down to a comparison between what they feel they'll get in value and what it will cost them in time, money and hassle. It is not a no-brainer than upgrading will always win out.

Oh, and for reference, I have a couple of W7 machines, partly because I got the right price on the OS, and partly because I need to test under that configuration as well as XP. But I'm not paying MS for the privilege of running Win& unless there's a real good reason to do so. And for many of those machines, they''ll go Ubuntu before I'll pay out for Win7, because that will do everything I need on them, cost a lot less and involve no greater level of hassle than upgrading to W7.

Thanks
    • AdeelEjaz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 975 @ 4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 Flex EX @ 7-7-7-21 1800MHz
      • Storage:
      • 2 x OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E SSD (RAID 0)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition
      • PSU:
      • Everest 1010
      • Case:
      • Antec Skeleton
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama Prolite E2407HDS 24"

If you have really think about it, you shouldn't really wait or buy Windows 8! Because:

Windows 98 was awesome, and the next Windows Me was crap.
    Windows XP was awesome, but the next Windows Vista was crap.
    Windows 7 is awesome, and the next Windows 8 will be ....... guess

Thanks

On point 4 thou, Saracen, aren't you using MSDN licenses for your dev/testing work? So you can use any version you want anyway?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    On point 4 thou, Saracen, aren't you using MSDN licenses for your dev/testing work? So you can use any version you want anyway?
    Nope, straight retail licences. I don't do enough to justify MSDN and I already have (and had) the retail licences.

Thanks

Are you referring to SL? £26 cannot be much, can it?

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC573Z/A

How about 5 user license for £41 i.e. the family pack.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10-6-Snow-Le.../dp/B001AMPP0W

Also, lets try to keep the discussion on topic. Turning every thread into anti Apple/iPhone flame war is not gonna help, isn't it?

I'm not questioning how good or bad Windows 7 is, my comment is purely stating that releasing W8 too soon is gonna alienate people from going to W7 which is not adopting they way Microsoft would have wanted it i.e. get everyone off from XP to W7 and then flog them W8 in 12 months time...
    i suppose a lot of the above depends on your point of view. if you compare windows free updates to paid updates for OSX, then it's a lot more, particularly if you take XP that's been on the go for about 10 years and people are clearly still using it daily, then 10 yearly updates at £26 is £260. i'm not sure how often osx has a paid update, or how the price has changed over the years, but even if it's been a bit cheaper and you only pay once every two years, that's still another £130

if however you consider that the price of an apple computer is usually at least a grand, then it puts most people off buying one unless they are reasonable well off, and thus £26 is a drop in the ocean compared to the £1k+ you paid for the machine

and in saying that, £40 for a multi license, it means you've had to splash out about £2k plus for your computers, or a wallet busting £5k+ for 5 computers (ok, you can maybe get a bit cheaper, but you are still talking literally thousands of quid), which makes me think it's a bit cheeky they can charge a fortune for the computer in the first place and then squeeze a few more quid out for upgrades

one thing i found very odd was my computer illiterate apple owning friend couldn't use his new ipod on his 2/3 year old apple laptop, as it wouldn't work on older versions of itunes, and the oldest version of itunes it would work on required an update to osx, which was a paid update. if he used windows he would have got free updates and itunes would have run on most crappy old versions post win2k, so no payment required. i found it strange that to use a new officially bought apple product with an official apple computer meant having to pay to upgrade, when the rest of the system was perfectly fine to his requirements (which is little more than surfing the web and playing music on itunes)

anyways, i've tried all types of windows and even osx, and XP is my preferred choice. i like the way it looks and works, win7 is okay, but you can't get the classic menus look, and i'm not sure some of my old legacy hardware or even software will work with it, and XP works fine, so why bother upgrading? that's probably the key point for anyone, if it ain't broke don't fix it. a new OS will probably run slower than an older one, particularly on older hardware, and my hardware is more than enough to do what i want on it

osx does run fine on netbooks though. it's a good OS for netbooks if using them in the true spirit of surfing and a bit of email. it's a shame the ipad uses ios and there isn't a cheaper netbook running full osx

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

I don't see how it was off topic - OSX is an OS, it's sold separately (and bundled) just like Windows is. They only vary in what's considered a service pack (and whether it's chargeable). More like he touched a nerve After all, what other paid for OS is there?

In any case, the truth is for the Windows world nearly all users get Windows with a new PC thus making debates about boxed copies slightly pointless. That said, XP is one tired old OS and I regularly 'sell' people on Windows 7 upgrades based on a: it's more than worth it for most and b: i'm sick of fixing XP. I've yet to have anyone come back to me saying they miss XP. At all.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Its true we need to get rid of XP now, let it retire.

Now I will put an interesting point out to all those 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' people.

Do you ever use a car/bus/train, the good old horse and cart worked just fine, why aren't you still using them?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information