Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Facebook caught trying to smear Google on privacy

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Facebook caught trying to smear Google on privacy

Hired a PR firm to encourage journalists to write negative stories.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Re: News - Facebook caught trying to smear Google on privacy

I'm really starting to dislike FB. For whatever reason, Google seem to have more of a benificient presence in my eyes - maybe it's just the large numbers of highly useful tools they have developed and then distributed for free, and predominantly ad-free also. But whatever the reason, FB has none of that respect, and stories like this just go further to enhance my distaste for FB. Something always seems to smell funny whenever FB gets involved..

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Two peas in a pod, in my opinion.

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
    I'm really starting to dislike FB.
    Agreed. Facebook is becoming a social menace, also full of rubbish.

Thanks

Hang on I thought FaceBook was owned by Google, or am I thinking of MySpace?

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

MySpace is News Corp.

Facebook has been invested in by a fair few people, it's allegedly worth billions and squillions as its own entity.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Two peas in a pod, in my opinion.
    Personally i don't see Google as a bad guy, they have a pretty good monopoly in a lot of areas and are doing damned well in the areas they compete in but i haven't really seen or heard much about them being particularly malicious. Facebook has become a complete monster, not only that it seems to be a monster with a lot of arrogance without actual intelligence to back it up.

Im talking relatively (to other similar companies/organizations/corporations or whatever) of course.

Thanks

I completely agree, I was only recently encouraged to make an account and a few weeks on, I'm still left wondering what all the fuss is about? I really don't see anything so interesting about it that encourages so many people to spend most of their day glued to it? Or am I just a bit strange, not really caring how many times a day people visit the toilet, or how many gallons of fluorescent alcoholic drink they had the night before?

Thanks

I think that fb v google is simply about revenue. fb would love to be a messaging, search and advertising behometh, exactly what google is now!
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Hang on I thought FaceBook was owned by Google, or am I thinking of MySpace?
    Could you be thinking of YouTube? Google created/owns Orkut.

I completely agree, I was only recently encouraged to make an account and a few weeks on, I'm still left wondering what all the fuss is about? I really don't see anything so interesting about it that encourages so many people to spend most of their day glued to it? Or am I just a bit strange, not really caring how many times a day people visit the toilet, or how many gallons of fluorescent alcoholic drink they had the night before?
    I think you are on one extreme, or giving pretty exaggerated example, or simply have friends who behave in fairly different manner.

There is relatively little to say about someone going to the loo or binge drinking (don't have that issue), but I for instance have a mild interest finding out that some of my friends have gone on holiday and where, so that I can break into their.. wait, no... in case it's a destination I am interested in. And incidentally, I am seriously looking at Norway, and through share coincidental FaceStalking, I found out that one of my friend is thinking of it too (so we might do the trip together), and another one is currently there (so I can ask all about it when she's back).

What I also find it useful for, is / setting up / social events. Take a friend's surprise birthday party: A knows that B knows that I am friend with the birthday girl so invite me to a surprise party, and get me to invite anyone else who may know her too. I happened to have been classmates with the birthday girl and C, so I can easily invite over by sending the event link. And so on. From there, we can discuss how we are going to this, agree to a time and location and so on. Yes, it is not something we can't do through email, but I actually find it more convenient. This is even more true when giving the head-up for exhibitions and bigger scale events.

At the end of the day, it's a bit like what we are doing here (on Hexus). Yes, discuss the latest news and hardware, rant about politics. Those aren't life changing activities either, and not every posts is going to interest everyone. There is much of the same though, from people discussing AV last week (in the way it's done here, i.e. some more intelligently than others). It's kinda like a community where everyone you see is a friend of a friend (or acquaintance at the very least).

----

I avoid putting too much personal details on FB. For what it is, the main thing that has been bugging me is all the messing about the interface / settings since I joined (and I was a fairly late adopter too), occasionally making certain actions harder to do, or simply removing it altogether. And then, this latest news doesn't impress me in the least either.
    Last edited by TooNice; 12-05-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks

No it was definitely some social networking site I was thinking of, but it's probably just two stories getting mixed up in my head.

Yeah that is a pretty extreme example, but even so I've made about 3 posts since I joined and I think they have just been to break the ice if you get what I mean. I'm also very cautious about what I share - all you'd know through FB is my name, general location and that I look remarkably like an '05 Impreza.

I agree it's useful for the contact aspect - everyone already seems to use it so it's relatively easy to get in touch with people, and that's the reason I signed up really.

The number of options to configure when you sign up is plain frightening, even for me! I feel sorry for your average Joe when presented with these options, and I'm still finding stuff hidden away I thought I'd already configured. And I was shocked by the number of email boxes - do people really want to be alerted every time someone sneezes? They should have some sympathy for email providers and leave most disabled by default - one person could bring down a small ISP with those settings! Needless to say, I un-ticked the lot. I don't trust FB as far as I could throw an Antec 1200, so I think the best policy is to assume everything is public and if they keep it private, it's a bonus.

Thanks

I suppose it's comes down to (mentally) filtering what you find interesting to what you do not find interesting. As far as email notification are concerned, left it on just to see it accumulate.. in an account I created just for the purpose And as for privacy setting, mine is almost on paranoid (most stuff is on "Friend only" if not "Just Me").

Registered+
    Thanks

I don't trust FB as far as I could throw an Antec 1200, so I think the best policy is to assume everything is public and if they keep it private, it's a bonus.
    Agreed and not necessarily just because they are untrustworthy either; hackers will always definitively be one step ahead of the developers because they are making the running. The developers' jobs are to react and counter the initial move made by the hacker... so you can't really trust any web technology, just have to hope you're not important enough to target and keep as much of your details to yourself as you can.

Interesting stuff about FB here. It's my view that, without detracting from any other comments made on this article, FB has been successful because it allows individuals to "sanitise" society and compartmentalise it into packets, which can be consumed at the user's convenience. It suits the world of superficiality and mistrust that we live in today and so has been a massive hit.

Personally, being a developer myself, I honestly believe that the user interface is absolutely bloody awful and that most people could do a better job while drunk and not really paying much attention to the job in hand... I also prefer to be able to hear and see people when talking, so the little bits of dialogue are unsatisfactory... it's SMS without paying.

I concede that it is handy for keeping in touch with "occasional" friends/family and for organising events.

Thanks
    • oolon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T6
      • CPU:
      • Xeon w3680
      • Memory:
      • 3*4GB Kingston ECC
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Intel G2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX HD6970 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Antec P183
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate and Centos 5
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • Be* Unlimied 6 down/1.2 up

Googles moto is "Do not evil", however due to its size it can't help it at times. However Facebook seems to have been born sold out, would do anything for a buck and is getting more evil by the minute. Minor example... create new privacy options, set them all to be "open" by default.
    (\__/) All I wanted in the end was world domination and a whole lot of money to spend. - NMA
    (='.*=)
    (")_(*)

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Their official motto isn't actually "do no evil" Only their unofficial one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hermano pequeño View Post
    Personally, being a developer myself, I honestly believe that the user interface is absolutely bloody awful and that most people could do a better job while drunk and not really paying much attention to the job in hand...
    Oh I think the interface is awful myself - when I signed up and started adding friends it essentially locked up a few times, didn't send some requests and said something along the lines of 'could not send...', requiring me to log out-in a few times. Also some posts just decide to not appear, and why is their no simple 'friends' button which, you know, takes you to your friends list?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information