Thread: News - Apple joins the top five UK PC vendors for the first time

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple joins the top five UK PC vendors for the first time

As the PC market declined for everyone else, Apple continued to grow.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: News - Apple joins the top five UK PC vendors for the first time

It seems the decline of netbooks is really hitting PC companies very hard. TBH,netbooks have been overpriced for years considering the level of usability they had.

Are there any figures to show what the sales are like excluding netbooks out of interest??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    It seems the decline of netbooks is really hitting PC companies very hard. TBH,netbooks have been overpriced for years considering the level of usability they had.

Are there any figures to show what the sales are like excluding netbooks out of interest??
    I'm afraid not, but I don't think they ever got much higher than 20% of the total by volume.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
    I'm afraid not, but I don't think they ever got much higher than 20% of the total by volume.
    It would have been interesting to see whether the other companies have had higher end computer sales decline as much or not,ie,has Apple taken sales from them or is that part of the market more stable than the lower end.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    It would have been interesting to see whether the other companies have had higher end computer sales decline as much or not,ie,has Apple taken sales from them or is that part of the market more stable than the lower end.
    You have to assume Apple has taken some high-end market share from them, but the bulk of the volume loss will have come from entry-level, which is where the iPad comes in.

Registered+
    Thanks

Still don't see the iPad as competition for PCs or even NetBooks but I guess there were a lot of people out there who were under using their machines (email & social networking only) and if that's the case then they were just waiting for a product to suit there very limited needs.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by hermano pequeño View Post
    Still don't see the iPad as competition for PCs or even NetBooks but I guess there were a lot of people out there who were under using their machines (email & social networking only) and if that's the case then they were just waiting for a product to suit there very limited needs.
    This is the thing - most people really don't need a PC at home. They have one at work, and if they work from home work will usually provide a machine for that purpose..but generally most people are using their PC for browsing the web, looking at stupid videos on youtube and checking facebook/email.

Personally I still think that a netbook is much better for all those things, seeing as you have a real keyboard and all (I still don't get tablets, other than the cool gadget wow factor), but people will buy what they are told to, and as tablets are the current fashion..that is what people buy.

When people DO want a computer, Apple are making a lot of headway as they make it less geeky/techie for end users. Whether you like it or not for most people it DOES just work and is simple to use/get used to. Quality wise you do get a lot more for your money..maybe not enough for what they charge, but it still beats most PC competition when it comes to build quality, look/feel and overall UX of one box systems. They won't ever take the enthusiast market (ie: most readers on here) but then we are only a tiny % of the overall market.

Apple have managed to do what many thought was impossible, and they deserve a lot of credit for it. They even got me, even if I do run windows in some form on both my apple machines. I'm considering selling my mac pro and replacing it for a dell though since I just don't need it's immense power anymore..who knows.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by hermano pequeño View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Personally I still think that a netbook is much better for all those things, seeing as you have a real keyboard and all (I still don't get tablets, other than the cool gadget wow factor), but people will buy what they are told to, and as tablets are the current fashion..that is what people buy.
    Got to say that I agree with Spud1 on this. iPad got the "instant on" part of the requirements correct, but the price point (~£400) is way too high for an "occasional use" niche. Certainly all the iPad's I've seen (and the Android tablet competition are either poor quality ereader+ devices or ferociously overpriced - e.g. Xoom) are "tech bling" - the "look at what I've got". And I wouldn't like to do more than a Tweet-sized email with an on-screen keyboard.

From the tests I've done it's kind of a shame that MeeGo isn't being developed more - that's got very rapid boot times, and couple it with a cheapie netbook and it's a perfectly usable system for email/web/office docs. All that for say around the £250 mark (at least according to Dell/HP's websites).

Being very cynical, I'd perhaps suggest that some of Apple's gain is the result of the constant bombardment of advertising. It's difficult to pick up a newspaper or watch a cable channel these days for any length of time without seeing some Appletisement.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

I think the next major change will come when SSD's are commonplace in machines and BIOS is replaced. I read something a while back about BIOS being a major delay factor of the startup process (possibly on here).

I have used an iPad, its nice for showing photos, a big collection of portable photos... and erm, you can watch films on it, and other than that its fiddly and extremely pretentious (which is why my brothers have them). Personally would rather have a small form laptop as its too big for a pocket anyways. (Kindle fits my inside jacket pocket perfectly tho).

The only reason I would buy an iPad is for the etch a sketch cover, would love to walk into a boardroom full of suits and plank down my etch a sketch with all my data on them.

geek factor x 10
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

That's a fair point about the instant on - its something that only really works well on my mac air (I run windows in parallels on that) - It really is a case of open it up and its on and usable in less than a second. That's just as quick as an iPad would be.

Shame the air is over a grand for one with a decent spec though! (this should change come the refresh in june however).

Thread Information