Thread: Features - Call Of Duty Elite: Q&A - explained and dissected

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Features - Call Of Duty Elite: Q&A - explained and dissected

Activision explains the ins and outs of its new premium Call Of Duty Elite service.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Re: Features - Call Of Duty Elite: Q&A - explained and dissected

Thanks for the info, thats interesting news..i've signed up for the beta, curious how it will play out.

The pricing is going to be key - and also how many map/content packs get released over the lifetime of MW3 - it may work out only slightly more expensive to go for the elite sub than to buy all the expansions - that would be the deciding factor for many I think (and a good way for them to make money!)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

I was thinking never mind an "Elite" service, how about a "CannonFodder" one - for those of us for whom if it CoD was real we probably would have accidentally shot ourselves in the foot!

Seriously though, the biggest problem I've found with MP is that it seems to be very difficult to get-a-foot-in-the-door. It's fine for the clanned up folks with lightning reflexes that live and breath it. But if you're a solitary old duffer who just wants to drop in for a quick snipe at the weekend then you're outta luck.

Yes, I know there's these "ranking" systems, but I've yet to find a single one that actually works on the lower levels. E.g. last time I was on MoH (as a level 1 n00b) I was being pitted against folks who were 20 to 30 levels above me. I felt like the Russian recruit at the start of CoD2 who's given a wooden rifle and some potatoes to throw! And did about as well.

(yes, I know ... I'm pathetic!)

Given that, I can't help thinking that "Elite" this is all a little desperate - Activision trying to wring the very last vestiges of money from the CoD franchise. Actually though, this probably annoys me less than the increasing tendency of games publishers to "give" you one-time codes for essential features, that mean it's going to be more expensive to get a game second hand (e.g. the most recent example of this being Dirt3, where you seem to need a "VIP pass" for online play). (sorry that this is off-topic to an extent).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • GheeTsar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 850 1 TB + 2 x 1TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Radeon R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Tagan TG600-U33 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 24" 120Hz GD245HQ
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb

I know what you mean - the average standard of players on some games is so high that it can take some while before you stand a chance. Black Ops did offer a training mode, but the level the bots are set is some way below the level of the average human player.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by GheeTsar View Post
    I know what you mean - the average standard of players on some games is so high that it can take some while before you stand a chance. Black Ops did offer a training mode, but the level the bots are set is some way below the level of the average human player.
    So what's the answer - just "suck it up", accept you're going to be free XP for everyone else and just keep at the 1-v-1 deathmatches (obviously can't do any of the team based stuff without clanning up)?

Nice to hear that it's not just my cow-like reflexes and other people have problems...!

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • GheeTsar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 850 1 TB + 2 x 1TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Radeon R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Tagan TG600-U33 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 24" 120Hz GD245HQ
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb

In my experience it's just simply time playing the game and finding the right server for you; some are populated by relatively poor players and others are full of top players. Some games offer level caps on some servers (eg: BFBC2 where there are servers for those under a specified rank). It can also help to get into tough games by playing a support class to start with; hanging back slightly and keeping everyone in medkits or ammo - these soon get your scoring going and a poor k:d ratio is salved by high scores in support actions.

I wouldn't go for 1 on 1. Go for a team deathmatch mode and try and work with others rather going alone where you are more vulnerable - no need to be in a clan either.

Senior Lurker
    Thanks
    • Englander's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i5-6500
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk 128GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 400W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2515H
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 38Mb/2Mb

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I was thinking never mind an "Elite" service, how about a "CannonFodder" one - for those of us for whom if it CoD was real we probably would have accidentally shot ourselves in the foot!

Seriously though, the biggest problem I've found with MP is that it seems to be very difficult to get-a-foot-in-the-door. It's fine for the clanned up folks with lightning reflexes that live and breath it. But if you're a solitary old duffer who just wants to drop in for a quick snipe at the weekend then you're outta luck.

Yes, I know there's these "ranking" systems, but I've yet to find a single one that actually works on the lower levels. E.g. last time I was on MoH (as a level 1 n00b) I was being pitted against folks who were 20 to 30 levels above me. I felt like the Russian recruit at the start of CoD2 who's given a wooden rifle and some potatoes to throw! And did about as well.

(yes, I know ... I'm pathetic!)

Given that, I can't help thinking that "Elite" this is all a little desperate - Activision trying to wring the very last vestiges of money from the CoD franchise. Actually though, this probably annoys me less than the increasing tendency of games publishers to "give" you one-time codes for essential features, that mean it's going to be more expensive to get a game second hand (e.g. the most recent example of this being Dirt3, where you seem to need a "VIP pass" for online play). (sorry that this is off-topic to an extent).
    When I start out games, I check to see who on my team is doing the best and then proceed to hide behind him and pop out to nab a few kills every know and again Then, when you know the map better and have got your eye in you can start going a bit more solitary.

I got in on MW2 pretty quickly so I didn't have that problem then, but I get exactly what you describe with Counter Strike: Source, and to a lesser extent now, Team Fortress 2. It isn't pleasant but there are tactics to avoid it (hiding behind your team, choosing server correctly etc)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

GheeTsar/Englander - that sounds like good advice. Thanks for taking the time out to share it.

From what I've seen there's more and more focus on online play, so I figure that unless I "get it" then I'm going to have a much poorer gaming experience. Right, next game I buy new I'm going to dive into the MP really quickly!

Thread Information