Thread: News - IBM celebrates memory breakthrough

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - IBM celebrates memory breakthrough

Phase-change memory could prove the faster successor to flash.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Re: News - IBM celebrates memory breakthrough

Regardless of current usefulness, I'm always a fan of innovation, not least because it provides more options (and competition). Plus, nice to see IBM are still doing significant research, I'd not heard much about them recently - and they have been hugely instrumental in the development of modern computing.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

it also doesn't expect products featuring PCM before 2016, by which time it's possible that innovations in flash will have negated the benefits of PCM altogether.
    Not knowing anything about this tech, isn't also possible that PCM will continue to be developed, in which case there still might be some benefit to using it? I'm kind of disappointed to see the word "enterprise" mentioned frequently, as I would have thought increased longevity and reduced latency would have been of interested to most, if not all, users of memory-resident storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
    Regardless of current usefulness, I'm always a fan of innovation, not least because it provides more options (and competition). Plus, nice to see IBM are still doing significant research, I'd not heard much about them recently - and they have been hugely instrumental in the development of modern computing.
    I'm sure I saw a report recently listing the top 5 patent filers in the US*. IBM was at the top, and it was pointed out that if you added #2-#5 together it was still less than their filings. It's a company I've got a good deal of respect for on a technical level, even though I work for a competitor.

(* disclaimer: yes, I know that means it was the US patent system - hopefully as few of their granted patents as possible were at the "fastening shoelaces" level of stupidity)

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Not knowing anything about this tech, isn't also possible that PCM will continue to be developed, in which case there still might be some benefit to using it? I'm kind of disappointed to see the word "enterprise" mentioned frequently, as I would have thought increased longevity and reduced latency would have been of interested to most, if not all, users of memory-resident storage.

Enterprise = profit. They're not going to spend millions on the research unless they can be sure that big companies needing reliable and redundant server farms/clusters are going to buy them by the truckload. So yes, enthusiasts like us will be slavering over it and no doubt it'll find its way into the market, but really we're not the target market.

For consumers, current SSDs are more than reliable enough. To actually get to the write-limit, you'd have to be continuously writing and re-writing data for a looong time. A 64GB drive, at 80MByte/s will burn out at around 50 years, more recent drives are rated at over 80. Given that most people switch out hard drives within 5 years when they change computers, or perhaps every 10 for people who migrate them, this isn't an issue and likely never will be. Even if you're using your disk as the OS drive, it's not a problem.

And that's just fine for home use - but obviously for active archival work you may well want/need more time (and peace of mind).

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by Whiternoise View Post
    For consumers, current SSDs are more than reliable enough. To actually get to the write-limit, you'd have to be continuously writing and re-writing data for a looong time. A 64GB drive, at 80MByte/s will burn out at around 50 years, more recent drives are rated at over 80. Given that most people switch out hard drives within 5 years when they change computers, or perhaps every 10 for people who migrate them, this isn't an issue and likely never will be. Even if you're using your disk as the OS drive, it's not a problem.

And that's just fine for home use - but obviously for active archival work you may well want/need more time (and peace of mind).
    Unfortunately, these figures are (as ever) misleading. For example, it is possible to quickly (within weeks or months) kill an SSD by filling it to 98% of its capacity, and then writing/deleting/writing/deleting to the last few GB repeatedly. And it's not actually that unusual a scenario - especially with smaller drives, where after OS and a few games you're running very full capacity-wise, leaving the last little bit for you to juggle files on as you need to, or the OS to use for temporary files, or some such thing. Overprovisioning can only help so much (in this case by extending the e.g. 2GB of free space to e.g. 10GB and therefore buying five times as much time as if there was no overprovisioning).

Thanks

Don't drives try to re-arrange static data on the drive so that doesn't happen?

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

I believe they do, yes. But I thought they do it through a more subtle method - that they don't actually reshuffle physical data around on it; rather, that they prioritise writing to cells which have had fewer write cycles, thus averaging out over time but not much use if you have data blocking cells with fewer write cycles.

I am happy to be proved wrong on this though as things may have changed in the last year or so.

Thread Information