Thread: News - EU unveils new mobile data roaming caps

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - EU unveils new mobile data roaming caps

Further measures to prevent itinerant social networkers getting taken to the cleaners.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Re: News - EU unveils new mobile data roaming caps

Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS View Post
    Interesting that Kroes feels empowered to be the arbiter of what is acceptable profit. We wonder if she considers an annual basic salary for a public official of €265,464 to be ‘outrageous'. Presumably not, as that's what she's paid.
    Why did you feel the need to bring up the EU Commissioner's salary or expenses? Is it relevant to the cost mobile phone roming? are you a shill for Vodafone?

Personally I would prefer that our elected representives are well paid, as it make them much less suceptable to petty little bits of corruption, such as in this case accepting a free phone from a mobile operator, and then no longer being as interested in the cost of using it abroad.

In any case is that €265,464 just the salary or does it cover expenses as well, because if it is the expenses then I would say it is reasonable, as each MEP needs to maintain an office in both Brussels, and Strasburg, pay staff and travel between them, as well as to their constituency.

I applaud the work the EU are doing to reduce mobile roaming costs, but IMHO it is not happening fast enough.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

I would be interested to hear where you found that figure (I presume you must have some other source than Google); however I do consider it extortionate and tbh ineffective at preventing bribes. For any implemented change to negatively affect a large company sufficiently that they would consider bribing an official, the change would have to run into the millions of pounds. And at that point, they could throw half a million at the official and not even blink an eye. And that's a lot, even if you do earn it in two years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrestomanci View Post
    Why did you feel the need to bring up the EU Commissioner's salary or expenses? Is it relevant to the cost mobile phone roming? are you a shill for Vodafone?

Personally I would prefer that our elected representives are well paid, as it make them much less suceptable to petty little bits of corruption, such as in this case accepting a free phone from a mobile operator, and then no longer being as interested in the cost of using it abroad.

In any case is that €265,464 just the salary or does it cover expenses as well, because if it is the expenses then I would say it is reasonable, as each MEP needs to maintain an office in both Brussels, and Strasburg, pay staff and travel between them, as well as to their constituency.

I applaud the work the EU are doing to reduce mobile roaming costs, but IMHO it is not happening fast enough.
    Yeah, you caught me pal!

I think I made it clear why I thought it was relevant and what the figure referred to, why don't you read the story again?

I'd love to see the evidence for your assertion that people who earn lots of money are less corruptible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
    I would be interested to hear where you found that figure (I presume you must have some other source than Google); however I do consider it extortionate and tbh ineffective at preventing bribes. For any implemented change to negatively affect a large company sufficiently that they would consider bribing an official, the change would have to run into the millions of pounds. And at that point, they could throw half a million at the official and not even blink an eye. And that's a lot, even if you do earn it in two years.
    It's a matter of public record, although I will confess to using Google as one of my tools for finding the source information.

Thread Information