Thread: News - Microsoft considering free-to-play model on Xbox 360, claims Hi-Rez

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Microsoft considering free-to-play model on Xbox 360, claims Hi-Rez

A change in Microsoft's Xbox Live policy could see free-to-play games coming to Xbox 360, claims developer.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - Microsoft considering free-to-play model on Xbox 360, claims Hi-Rez

But at the moment Xbox Live subscription fees makes it difficult for developers.
    Hmm, I'm probably being dense here, but is there some developer side payment that's needed, or is it purely the fact that the punters out there have to get an XBL subscription?

If it's the latter then I really can't see what he's getting at. After all, at £3ish per month the XBL Gold subscription isn't exactly a bank-breaker.

What worries me (slightly) is that the "free-to-play" bit - if you're saying that these games are available to non-XBL subscribers then surely it stands to reason that they've got to be paid for another way - which means hordes of adverts.

Still I suppose that's the way things are going, and it's less objectionable (to me at least) than the idea of having to buy a game, then get an XBL subscription and then another subscription from the publisher to be able to play all the features of certain games - especially if the publishers subscription is (rumours) at more-or-less the same price point as the XBL one.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    If it's the latter then I really can't see what he's getting at. After all, at £3ish per month the XBL Gold subscription isn't exactly a bank-breaker.
    No it isn't but i found it was a lot to pay for the odd occasion I used it. I just stick to the PC for multiplayer now...
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Also this move by Microsoft would allow BBC iplayer to appear on the 360. The reason BBC won't allow it, is because of the XBL subscription requirements.

Oooo , interesting topic....

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    No it isn't but i found it was a lot to pay for the odd occasion I used it. I just stick to the PC for multiplayer now...
    same, i would probably be more inclined to spend a bit more on a couple of micro transactions here and there which would be money the developers and microsoft would see, compared to the minute where i buy al my games fro the second hand shelves and only play them offline because i find a constant subscription fee a bit of a con.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    (No it isn't but i found it was a lot to pay for the odd occasion I used it. I just stick to the PC for multiplayer now...) same, i would probably be more inclined to spend a bit more on a couple of micro transactions here and there which would be money the developers and microsoft would see, compared to the minute where i buy al my games fro the second hand shelves and only play them offline because i find a constant subscription fee a bit of a con.
    Pay-As-You-Game (PAYG)? Joking aside, that's maybe a good idea - being able to buy a "session" of online/update/etc when/if you need it, in the same way you can buy an app from iTunes or GMP. However, if you're using this kind of "pre-pay" arrangement, then surely that's not really "free to play" is it?

Don't forget that you can also buy XBL access in unit's of one month. Extending the mobile phone metaphor maybe there's some folks who'd appreciate being able to buy access in units or one day or one week too?

It's an interesting topic. Personally I'm going to stick with the Family pack we've got at the moment - it's not that expensive, plus you get some good "exclusive" discount offers on games and DLC.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

I hate the "micro-transactions". I pay for XBL, i love it, use it most days. Its a decent system and I have no complaints about it. I also pay for every game that I play, usually bought online at the cheapest I can find it (forza 3 for a tenner this month), not always at the release date.

Lets take a classic example, Burnout Paradise

Fantastic game, I mainly played it offline, great escape and loadsa fun.

Then you see it for a tenner less than you paid, with 2 extra packs in GAME, ok, but I got it a few months earlier. Then you download the packs, at a premium because you cant get them any cheaper, so effectively I have paid roughly £20 more than the box price, more than double what it was available for in GAME, and then they want to charge you per sodding car.....

police car, 300 MS points, super duper stunt car, 300 MS points

sorry, no, not gonna happen, not now, not ever.

If you are going to create extra content, new levels, game expansion or changing content then ok, but sticking a couple of lights on a car and making the turbo last longer and then charging money for something that should have been in the game from the start, unlockable through skill, not paying for it.

And Burnout is not the only game/studio that does this, Crackdown was guilty of it and im sure there are plenty more.

How many kids have plundered their folks bank accounts to get a lightsaber for their avatar or something similar, its a complete rip off.

micropayments bad, blanket payments good mmkkaayy?
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Thanks

If this means Live will turn into PSN in terms of quality, I'll happily pay for Live (although a lower price would be nice)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    Lets take a classic example, Burnout Paradise. Fantastic game, I mainly played it offline, great escape and loadsa fun.Then you see it for a tenner less than you paid, with 2 extra packs in GAME, ok, but I got it a few months earlier. Then you download the packs, at a premium because you cant get them any cheaper, so effectively I have paid roughly £20 more than the box price, more than double what it was available for in GAME, and then they want to charge you per sodding car.....
    Dirt3 is another one that does that particular "trick". In fact, I'm wondering if this increasingly-popular trick of "giving" you a one-time-use pass for some core features is 100% legal. After all, it's a clear case of the publishers trying to prevent folks from buying pre-owned/used, because if the one-time-passes are available separately (and in some cases they aren't) the cost of them means that a relatively recent pre-owned is going to work out more expensive than a new game if you want the full functionality.

Apologies that this is off-topic.

Thread Information