Thread: News - IFA sees Ultrabook launch frenzy

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - IFA sees Ultrabook launch frenzy

Acer, Lenovo and Toshiba all join the party.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - IFA sees Ultrabook launch frenzy

Cool 3 more company's for Apple to sue

Error exists between Keyboard & Chair replace User and press Any Key!

.... Where's the Any Key???

AlexKitch

The term "Razor thin" always gives me a good chuckle. I certainly wouldn't shave with a 13mm thick razor

Thanks

At the proposed prices the macbook air seems cheap. And you can have it now. What will Apple unleash before these are in the shops?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paulm@scan View Post
    Cool 3 more company's for Apple to sue
    As long as they don't utilise any of Apple's IP, they'll be fine. It's the copying that Apple doesn't like, not competition.

At the proposed prices the macbook air seems cheap. And you can have it now. What will Apple unleash before these are in the shops?
    For all the bleating about how expensive Apple products are, the PC equivalents are often more expensive. The MacBook Air and iPad are definitely the 2 products that stand out in Apple's range as very good value for money.

Thanks
    • smithy1158's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Intel P35 Chipset
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo E4300 overclocked @ 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2 @ 800MHz Corsair XMS2 (2x2GB)
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Seagate Barracuda sataII, 120GB Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX NVIDIA GTX 260 896MB 216 Core
      • PSU:
      • 650W Xigmatek NRP-MC651
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Gunmetal Black Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" LG W2242 DVI-D / 19" Kingston Tech DVI/VGA
      • Internet:
      • 2Mg ADSL Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by mrochester View Post
    For all the bleating about how expensive Apple products are, the PC equivalents are often more expensive.
    With apple products you pay a premium for unmatched design and quality chassis materials, the components are often generic and well behind current technology. Apple only get away with it because of the speed and efficiency of MacOS...

I have a Macbook which I think is an excellent laptop but I would never even think of buying an apple desktop, when much better components are available to build much more powerful PC's at the same price or cheaper.

That's pretty much where apple get the 'expensive' name from around here. Many hexus members build their PC's. Apple laptops are only good value when you consider the design as a factor, which is important for laptops but not for desktops.
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
    - Douglas Adams.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smithy1158 View Post
    With apple products you pay a premium for unmatched design and quality chassis materials, the components are often generic and well behind current technology. Apple only get away with it because of the speed and efficiency of MacOS...

I have a Macbook which I think is an excellent laptop but I would never even think of buying an apple desktop, when much better components are available to build much more powerful PC's at the same price or cheaper.

That's pretty much where apple get the 'expensive' name from around here. Many hexus members build their PC's. Apple laptops are only good value when you consider the design as a factor, which is important for laptops but not for desktops.
    I would understand the phrasing 'expensive' if people were comparing a PC all-in-one to the iMac, but to call it expensive when comparing a standard PC desktop to an iMac is disegenuous at best. I've never been able to understand why people repeatedly make such an erroneous comparison!

I really hope that these new products come down to a more reasonable price. As we've already seen with the tablet market, it's very difficult for manufacturers to compete with Apple if they price their products the same or higher. Some good looking devices indeed, it'll be a shame to see them be unsuccessful.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

The MacBook Air and iPad are definitely the 2 products that stand out in Apple's range as very good value for money.
    *cough* be careful you are in danger of ruining a good point The Mac Air is indeed good value for money when you consider the competition (if you just look at the specs its stupid, but in terms of "ultrabooks", its good value). The iPad is way overpriced for what it offers - in my opinion it's terrible value for money. It's subjective to a point but really, they are £200 over an ideal price for their tablets and they know it - they just don't have to care because for every person like you or me who buy's an Apple product for the "right" reasons, there are 100 who will buy it just becase it's made by Apple.

Still really curious how these new Ultrabooks will compare to an air - as mentioned in the other thread I can't see them competing when it comes to build quality or reliability, but it will be interesting to find out!

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 860 @ 3.58GHz (Megahalems + Apache)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Intel X25-M + bunch of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1110 (bit disappointing)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

I would understand the phrasing 'expensive' if people were comparing a PC all-in-one to the iMac, but to call it expensive when comparing a standard PC desktop to an iMac is disegenuous at best. I've never been able to understand why people repeatedly make such an erroneous comparison!

I really hope that these new products come down to a more reasonable price. As we've already seen with the tablet market, it's very difficult for manufacturers to compete with Apple if they price their products the same or higher. Some good looking devices indeed, it'll be a shame to see them be unsuccessful.
    I don't think he mentioned iMacs, though.

I use a pair of Mac Pros at work, as well as a macbook pro laptop. All of these, despite costing considerably more, are both slower and less stable than my home-built PC. I will never spend any of my own money on an Apple product as a result of this experience.

The Macbook Air and the iPad are probably the worst possible examples you could use, as these two are basically pointless gimmicks. Anyone with a decent laptop (apple or otherwise) gets far better performance for a bit more weight than the Air at much better value for money, and the iPad is just a show-off's gimmick device designed to make the Apple Fanboy cretins feel all warm and fuzzy inside and keep throwing their money at the rotten fruit. In the real world, there are very few situations where the iPad makes real sense, and even fewer when you look at the price of it...

(written on my work macbook pro)

Roo

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 860 @ 3.58GHz (Megahalems + Apache)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Intel X25-M + bunch of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1110 (bit disappointing)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

As long as they don't utilise any of Apple's IP, they'll be fine. It's the copying that Apple doesn't like, not competition.
    And while I'm at it, I think Apple's aggressive action in the courts (while not unique) is far from being "just" about copying, there's definitely an anticompetitive element in there, just look at that farcical "OMGZOR they have a product where the aspect ratio is quite a bit like ours" (then it turns out they falsified that evidence) case...

I'm not saying they shouldn't go after people who blatantly copy off them, of course they should. But they shouldn't be ar*seholes, which sadly, they are

Right, I'll stop ranting now, I need to reboot this crappy piece of ****

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    *cough* be careful you are in danger of ruining a good point The Mac Air is indeed good value for money when you consider the competition (if you just look at the specs its stupid, but in terms of "ultrabooks", its good value). The iPad is way overpriced for what it offers - in my opinion it's terrible value for money. It's subjective to a point but really, they are £200 over an ideal price for their tablets and they know it - they just don't have to care because for every person like you or me who buy's an Apple product for the "right" reasons, there are 100 who will buy it just becase it's made by Apple.

Still really curious how these new Ultrabooks will compare to an air - as mentioned in the other thread I can't see them competing when it comes to build quality or reliability, but it will be interesting to find out!
    I disagree. Any non-Apple tablet worth a second glance is typically priced very closely to the iPad.

The Macbook Air and the iPad are probably the worst possible examples you could use, as these two are basically pointless gimmicks. Anyone with a decent laptop (apple or otherwise) gets far better performance for a bit more weight than the Air at much better value for money, and the iPad is just a show-off's gimmick device designed to make the Apple Fanboy cretins feel all warm and fuzzy inside and keep throwing their money at the rotten fruit. In the real world, there are very few situations where the iPad makes real sense, and even fewer when you look at the price of it...
    It appears, however, that the market doesn't agree that the iPad is a gimmick or else it wouldn't have sold the many millions it has or spawned a vast range of competitors in its wake.

I'm not saying they shouldn't go after people who blatantly copy off them, of course they should. But they shouldn't be ar*seholes, which sadly, they are
    Maybe Samsung are blatantly copying off them?

Thread Information