News - Apple indulges in MacBook Pro refresh

Quietly polishes laptop specs.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 860 @ 3.58GHz (Megahalems + Apache)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Intel X25-M + bunch of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1110 (bit disappointing)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

Re: News - Apple indulges in MacBook Pro refresh

Yup, that's still an awful lot of money for what you get. And this one I'm typing on now crashes a lot more than it should, but hey ho if work want to waste money on Apple, who am I to stop them?

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

Very kind of you not to stop me picking a MBP up next month. Thanks!
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
    Very kind of you not to stop me picking a MBP up next month. Thanks!
    Hope yours is more stable...

Oh, and also make sure you change all your hardware to Apple equivalent in the house, especially the router - the wifi card in these things is really truly flakey unless it's connected to an ApplePort or whatever they call their overpriced version. It can be stable for days, quite happy, on Netgear, D-Link and Linksys hardware, then suddenly decide to drop connection, and there's no rhyme nor reason to it. Oh, and the screen appears to have gone all light in the bottom corners (this MBP is 6 months old).
    Also, when the battery goes like my last one, you can't just swap it out (like the last model of MBP I had through work), due to the (admittedly smart) unibody design, so that'll cost a fair whack to get a simple replacement dropped in. Same goes for the hard disk, though this SS 250GB should be okay for a while, I hope, no reported problems in that area, unlike the wireless card and the screen and the battery...

These are just some of the reasons I won't be spending any of my own money on Apple hardware. In my experience, it doesn't 'just work', it needs a lot of fighting to make it work and even then it only half works.
    Only my experience, mind, they surely have a lot of perfectly rational, devoted, loyal customers (guffaw!).

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Personally, I'm very happy with my XPS 15, equipped with i7 2820QM, 8GB DDR3, 2GB GT 540M, 640GB HDD (now swapped out for 256GB SSD), and of course a 1920x1080p screen with excellent speakers & good build quality, plus the usual other specs.. for £783.05 inc VAT & delivery, new from the Dell Outlet. With a year's warranty.

But sure, Apple's rough equivalent @ over £2,000 sounds good. Oh wait, you can't get the equivalent, they don't offer a 1080p 15" screen. Ah well, maybe next time.

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
    Personally, I'm very happy with my XPS 15, equipped with i7 2820QM, 8GB DDR3, 2GB GT 540M, 640GB HDD (now swapped out for 256GB SSD), and of course a 1920x1080p screen with excellent speakers & good build quality, plus the usual other specs.. for £783.05 inc VAT & delivery, new from the Dell Outlet. With a year's warranty.

But sure, Apple's rough equivalent @ over £2,000 sounds good. Oh wait, you can't get the equivalent, they don't offer a 1080p 15" screen. Ah well, maybe next time.
    Long ago I decided that people who buy Apple PCs/Laptops do so because of the aesthetics. My older cousin who was 19 at the time didn't know much about computers, didn't know the difference between Windows and OSX but decided she needed a computer and it had to be an iMac G3:

She tried really hard to work with it and then ended up having to buy a PC because she hated the OS.

Thermoelectroceramicist redddraggon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • redddraggon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (rev2)
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 930
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair F60 SSD & 2x WD Caviar Green2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB in CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" + LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • JANET

Quote Originally Posted by Roobubba View Post

Oh, and also make sure you change all your hardware to Apple equivalent in the house, especially the router - the wifi card in these things is really truly flakey unless it's connected to an ApplePort or whatever they call their overpriced version. It can be stable for days, quite happy, on Netgear, D-Link and Linksys hardware, then suddenly decide to drop connection, and there's no rhyme nor reason to it. Oh, and the screen appears to have gone all light in the bottom corners (this MBP is 6 months old).
    Also, when the battery goes like my last one, you can't just swap it out (like the last model of MBP I had through work), due to the (admittedly smart) unibody design, so that'll cost a fair whack to get a simple replacement dropped in. Same goes for the hard disk, though this SS 250GB should be okay for a while, I hope, no reported problems in that area, unlike the wireless card and the screen and the battery...
    I've not had any such problems, if anything I get a stronger WIFI signal with my MBP than I do with any of my other internal wifi cards on my other laptops.

Desktop - i7 930, XMS3 6x2GB DDR3, X58A-UD3R (rev2), 2xHD5870 1GB (CrossFireX), Crucial C300 64GB , 2x2TB WD Caviar Green, Corsair 650TX
    Notebook - MacBook Pro 13" i5 Early 2011

My flickr

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roobubba View Post

Having used Macs in various forms over the past seven years I don't recognise any of the issues you're having. It sounds as if you've got a dud. I would take it back and get a replacement/ refund.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Holy a grand for a notebook with integrated video....and another for £1300...

Do they come with a lifetime supply of lube?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
    Having used Macs in various forms over the past seven years I don't recognise any of the issues you're having. It sounds as if you've got a dud. I would take it back and get a replacement/ refund.
    Maybe you're just lucky? Having worked with Macs for the past 4 years, I find that this is pretty standard fare. In that time I have had 2 macbook pros (one at a time) and 2 mac pros (concurrently for that time, I work at 2 sites). These issues haven't just plagued my machines, but at least some of the other machines in the department. Dud or not, my personal experience is one of poor consistency, massive over-pricing, very long return/repair times (I had to send my previous macbook pro back because of the keyboard-connector next to the battery giving up the ghost after a year - had to do a temporary fix with some cardboard. It took them 3 weeks to receive/replace the part/return the machine - not good enough).

So no, Apple will never be getting any of my own money, thanks very much.

Thread Information