• Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Re: News - BBC licence fee may soon be mandatory for iPlayer users

Quote Originally Posted by oolon View Post
    I have a problem with this myself and my partner are not married, we only need one TV licence for the house, it is in her name, however the TV licensing people seem unable to grasp this fact, and I get threatening letters every now and them which I have given up even responding to, (every time you buy a TV/reciever the shop has to send in your name). If we have to have one for Iplayer, they will probably insist it is for the licence holder only, not member of the household.
    i used to get the same issue, I bought a monitor from pc world and got a letter in the post about not having a tv license as its always been in the missus name and never saw the point in adding my name to it,

Thanks
    • dav532000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m2n32 Sli Delux
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II x4 925 2.8 GHz
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Balistix DDR2 PC 6400
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Club3D Royal Queen HD 7850
      • PSU:
      • Antec 620M
      • Case:
      • Noble NOB20A
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster P2370
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60MB

They should make the Tv licence like the cable channels instead of paying for a Tv licence as they like to call as we all no it's a BBC licence, you should only need to purchase a BBC licence if you actually watch the BBC and not the other channels that use adverts to maintain there services. I would love to see how many people would opt out of watching the BBC as to not paying for it then.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I'd rather pay for BBC.....of course, if your a brain-dead-reality-TV-show-nut, then it's a different ballgame....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

It all gets a bit confusing because iplayer includes past programmes as well as live tv.

That aside, I can't see how this can be implemented properly as it's a household thing. Can you watch iplayer in a building with no tv licence if you live in a household with a tv licence? *scratches head*

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Hands up if the cynic in you has a strong feeling that said license law change will merely eliminate the 'TV tuner' requirement, thus forcing all computer owners to pay for the licence regardless of if they own a TV.

*raises*
    The added complication of Channel 4 and Channel 5 uploading their shows to YouTube will no doubt have to be included somewhere.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dave87 View Post
    0.2% of viewers use iPlayer? I thought it would be higher than that?
    Hmmm. Interesting.

It;s worth pointing out, I think, that the Guardian said one thing (when quoting a BBC spokespernson) and the HEXCUS article said something rather different.

Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS article
    The BBC isn’t so concerned, telling the newspaper that only a small percentage (0.2 percent) of its viewers use the iPlayer. "We believe the current system works very efficiently and do not see a need to change its scope at present," said a spokesperson for the channel.
    but the Guardian said
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian
    The BBC insists no changes are needed, pointing to its own research showing that only 0.2% of households watch only catch-up television, with no live viewing, each week. A spokesman said: "We believe the current system works very efficiently and do not see a need to change its scope at present."
    The way I read that is that neither the BBC nor the Guardian are saying that only 0.2% use iPlayer. They are saying that only 0.2% use iPlayer without ever receiving live broadcasts, which is, of course, very different.

This is not a point about the prospect of licencing iPlayer reception, as anyone receiving live (or almost live) broadcasts needs a licence anyway. And if a requirement for a licence to receive iPlayer were introduced, that figure success that it'll make no difference at all to 99.8% of households, as they either don't watch iPlayer, or don't have a TV (or at least, don't have a licence for it).

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krazy_olie View Post
    It all gets a bit confusing because iplayer includes past programmes as well as live tv.

That aside, I can't see how this can be implemented properly as it's a household thing. Can you watch iplayer in a building with no tv licence if you live in a household with a tv licence? *scratches head*
    Don't think about buildings, think about "households". It might become clearer.

If the building is a family home, occupied by one family, then it's one building and one household, so it's one licence needed. If it's a block of flats, it's one per household, which will be probably be one per flat, but certainly not one per building. If it's a single flat with multiple, individual occupants, (like many student flats) then it all depends on the arrangements. If the lease is a single lease to which all occupants are bound, then it's one household. If, though, each occupant has a separate rental agreement, and therefore typically a locked/lockable room, then those separate rooms require a licence, though a TV in a common area could be used by all under one household licence. But anyone other than the person holding that licence would need a licence for a TV in their own room.

All as I understand it, of course. And, assuming it hasn't changed recently.

Confused yet?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Hands up if the cynic in you has a strong feeling that said license law change will merely eliminate the 'TV tuner' requirement, thus forcing all computer owners to pay for the licence regardless of if they own a TV.

*raises*
    That, it seems, has been ruled out. The Culture secretary, Jeremy Hunt, said specifically ""We are not going to introduce a PC licence fee."".

Thanks
    • simonpreston's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X370 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • A lot.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS1000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 20.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2412m
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

*raises*
    This was along similar lines that I was thinking. Very soon you'll have to by a licence for any device that's even capable of watching the iPlayer. And given the TV Licensing peoples way of thinking it'll be a case of:

"I see you've just got a new PS3 there, sonny. Well, I'm afraid that now makes you a criminal until we decide otherwise."

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    That, it seems, has been ruled out. The Culture secretary, Jeremy Hunt, said specifically ""We are not going to introduce a PC licence fee."".
    But he is a politician....so he's allowed to omit the last part of that sentence...

We are not going to introduce a PC licence fee, at least until will decide we will introduce one.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dav532000 View Post
    They should make the Tv licence like the cable channels instead of paying for a Tv licence as they like to call as we all no it's a BBC licence, you should only need to purchase a BBC licence if you actually watch the BBC and not the other channels that use adverts to maintain there services. I would love to see how many people would opt out of watching the BBC as to not paying for it then.
    Definitely would opt out.
    Anything worth watching has gone or is in the process of going, although probably not everyone feels that way!

Thanks

*raises*
    *raises*
    yeah, the government is so broke and unable to budget effectively so it needs to grab more money however it can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    But he is a politician....so he's allowed to omit the last part of that sentence...

We are not going to introduce a PC licence fee, at least until will decide we will introduce one.
    Haha nice, seems they can omit any part of the truth whenever it suits them

Thanks
    • mark22's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z68 extreme4
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k @4.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC16000
      • Storage:
      • Crucial C300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 6950 oc
      • PSU:
      • Antec truepower
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" LED

Quote Originally Posted by rabbid View Post
    *raises*
    yeah, the government is so broke and unable to budget effectively so it needs to grab more money however it can.
    But surely the bbc work for Labour so why would they give money to the government?

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

If they manage to produce a system where I get to pay one fee to watch ad-free television however I like and when ever I like then I'll be happy.

/Start rant

Recording television isn't good enough and I'm fed up with the pathetic choice when it comes to sport, 10 games being played in the premier league on the weekend and only 3-5 of them viewable live on TV... pathetic. We had more than 20 sport channels in South Africa in 2004, there was 1 for every single sporting event in the Olympics and you had the option to choose what athlete you wanted to watch if 1 event had multiple games running concurrently. 7 years later Sky boasts about having 4 sports channels, it's shameful.

/end rant

OilSheikh

Why can't this utter crap of a license fee be scraped? What good TV shows does BBC have?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information