Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Sharp rejected as iPad 3 screen supplier

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Sharp rejected as iPad 3 screen supplier

Sharp out, Samsung and LG in, as mass production of LCD iPad 3 tablets begins.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

Re: News - Sharp rejected as iPad 3 screen supplier

with apple suing everyone under the sun, i would have though, out of spite, that these other companies wouldnt want to work with them.

it would be pretty easy for samsung and LG to refuse to build screens for the ipad3, then when samsung release their updated pad devices. there wont be any apple devices for their patents to alledgedly infringe.

samsung and co. could prevent apple releasing anything, just like apples doing to them.

so apple must be having to pay a bit more than they would've liked to, for samsung to be willing to work with them, so i predict that the ipad3 will be about £50 more than the ipad2 because of this

thats just my theory anyhow

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Probably explains why you're not on the board of Samsung then.

65 Million screens per year alone is a massive revenue stream.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    65 Million screens per year alone is a massive revenue stream.
    Quite, better you than another Android Tablet maker...

Thanks

65 million units is all well and good but it would depend on LG / Sammies profit margin per panel. Knowing apple they'll have squeezed the suppliers to less than $1 per panel.
    However between sammie and lg they make up the lions share of the bill of materials on the ipad/phone so far.

Apple of course take the punt on that they'll sell 65mil units and thus keep nearly all the profit to themselves.
    I would laugh if an ipad3 is only £50 more than an ipad2, from what i've read before there is going to be a spec replacement for the ipad2 (which will probably cost a little more) and then a 'premium' model ipad3 which would cost easily £150 more i'd say just because they can and have the followers that will pay whatever they ask.

Out of the Loop
    Thanks
    • vrykyl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG X570 Strix-E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900 @ 4.5ghz 1.28v (Noctua DH15)
      • Memory:
      • 32gb (2x16gb) Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz @ 3800mhz 1.35v
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Corsair MP600 NVME, 256gb Samsung Evo, 4tb WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC 10gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860w + White Braided Cables
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Limited Edition (Soundproofed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 49" CRG9 Ultrawide 5120x1440 @ 120hz
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80mb fibre (80/20)

Hang on, if they can make / put a 2048x1536 res screen in a 10" tablet, what the hell is up with the continuous stream of nasty 1366x768 etc screens that laptop makers keep stuffing in their new laptop models???

7. Received thanks from:

dave87 (20-02-2012),Funkstar (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    • tribaljet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel HM65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-2820QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Transcend DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 3000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 555M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits

Someone needs to boycott 1366x768 panels on laptops with enough physical screen real estate to warrant proper resolutions. And don't even get me started on manufacturers wanting to standardize 16:9 for computers when that's clearly a TV aspect ratio.

Thanks

The current cost of > 1366x768 laptops is ridiculous due to lack of competition and choice. If Intel and others really wish to revive the laptop market, they should be looking to make ultrabooks do what they do well, and that's run desktop applications, many of which need a higher resolution to be at their best.

Thanks

simples, price...companies have to make a profit somewhere....and Apple are notorious for screwing suppliers over. Also most people aren't that bothered by hires laptop screens yet...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Also most people aren't that bothered by hires laptop screens yet...
    Just as IGPs get to the level of being able to run games reasonably OK, a massive increase in screen resolution will push us back a few years again,and increase power usage for gaming too.

Imagine how many pixels will need to be pushed in a 15.6" laptop display with the same PPI as a 10.1" 2048X1536 panel??

The same goes with desktop users,going for E-PEEN level increases in screen resolution,will make gaming more expensive. Most video is barely 720P or 1080P. It means video and even games will have to be scaled which will make them look worse. The other side effect is that,it would take even longer for the visual fidelity of games to improve. If anything the slow progression of pixel densities for desktop screens is a good thing IMHO.

In fact most people I know,seem to find adding a second monitor seems to increase productivity more as it means more screen area is available to work with. The increased resolution is only really useful if accompanied by a screen area increase IMHO.

The only reason I can see for very high resolution desktop screens is for HD video and photographic editing purposes.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 20-02-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Quote Originally Posted by vrykyl View Post
    Hang on, if they can make / put a 2048x1536 res screen in a 10" tablet, what the hell is up with the continuous stream of nasty 1366x768 etc screens that laptop makers keep stuffing in their new laptop models???
    1920x1200 on my Lenovo - 1680x1050 on the previous Dell. Could not go back now

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevie lee View Post
    with apple suing everyone under the sun, i would have though, out of spite, that these other companies wouldnt want to work with them.

it would be pretty easy for samsung and LG to refuse to build screens for the ipad3, then when samsung release their updated pad devices. there wont be any apple devices for their patents to alledgedly infringe.

samsung and co. could prevent apple releasing anything, just like apples doing to them.

so apple must be having to pay a bit more than they would've liked to, for samsung to be willing to work with them, so i predict that the ipad3 will be about £50 more than the ipad2 because of this

thats just my theory anyhow

good point, but wouldent apple have the money to find a way around it. E.g make their own screens

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Just as IGPs get to the level of being able to run games reasonably OK, a massive increase in screen resolution will push us back a few years again,and increase power usage for gaming too.

Imagine how many pixels will need to be pushed in a 15.6" laptop display with the same PPI as a 10.1" 2048X1536 panel??

The same goes with desktop users,going for E-PEEN level increases in screen resolution,will make gaming more expensive. Most video is barely 720P or 1080P. It means video and even games will have to be scaled which will make them look worse. The other side effect is that,it would take even longer for the visual fidelity of games to improve. If anything the slow progression of pixel densities for desktop screens is a good thing IMHO.

In fact most people I know,seem to find adding a second monitor seems to increase productivity more as it means more screen area is available to work with. The increased resolution is only really useful if accompanied by a screen area increase IMHO.

The only reason I can see for very high resolution desktop screens is for HD video and photographic editing purposes.
    I have to disagree on all points here.

Firstly, increases in resolution of the order that tablets have increased would not affect visual quality for the same hardware. Scaling is bad for quality with small adjustments, e.g. 720p scaled to 1080p. Higher res desktop monitors with the same level of improvement would be at least doubling the existing res, and doubling the res means scaling is perfect (no blurriness) as it just quadruples the number of pixels being used. Thus, visual quality in games will be unaffected for those with cheap hardware (who can keep running at lower resolutions without a quality penalty) and improved for those with expensive hardware (who can run at higher resolutions).

I'm not going to accept any argument that says higher res screens demand greater power usage and are therefore bad. So do faster processors, should we all be using Atoms? They'll get the job done too, just slower, much like low-res screens. Horses for courses..

Slow progression of visual fidelity in games? Increased pixel density is one of the key ways in which quality can be improved, for those with expensive hardware (and the only way that hardware can be used properly.. really, how many monitors do you have to shoehorn together to max out a pair of GTX 590s SLI'd or similar?) And that's entirely separate from the disastrous concept that it might be a good idea to delay advancement in monitor technologies because a small subset of the population (i.e. gamers) disapproves. If they actually would.

Second monitors can be useful but aren't always practical. Besides, my 15.6" laptop with 1080p resolution offers an extremely useful increase in resolution over 1366x768 resolution (annoyingly, standard res on 15" laptop screens), with a DPI of 141 vs 102. Compare that to a 24" desktop monitor offering 1080p res (again, standard) - that has only 92 DPI, and a 30" monitor with 2560x1600 res has only 101 DPI.
    Desktop monitors are way behind the curve on useful pixel densities. By my back-of-an-envelope calculations, for a 24" to rival the (useful) PPI of my laptop, it needs to hit 2711x2033 res. For a 30"er, 3389x2541. These are massive increases that will make a big difference in general use, at least for 24" screens (I've not used 2560x1600 et al res so can't comment on whether it'll be a big step from that to c.3389x2541.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
    I have to disagree on all points here.

Firstly, increases in resolution of the order that tablets have increased would not affect visual quality for the same hardware. Scaling is bad for quality with small adjustments, e.g. 720p scaled to 1080p. Higher res desktop monitors with the same level of improvement would be at least doubling the existing res, and doubling the res means scaling is perfect (no blurriness) as it just quadruples the number of pixels being used. Thus, visual quality in games will be unaffected for those with cheap hardware (who can keep running at lower resolutions without a quality penalty) and improved for those with expensive hardware (who can run at higher resolutions).

I'm not going to accept any argument that says higher res screens demand greater power usage and are therefore bad. So do faster processors, should we all be using Atoms? They'll get the job done too, just slower, much like low-res screens. Horses for courses..

Slow progression of visual fidelity in games? Increased pixel density is one of the key ways in which quality can be improved, for those with expensive hardware (and the only way that hardware can be used properly.. really, how many monitors do you have to shoehorn together to max out a pair of GTX 590s SLI'd or similar?) And that's entirely separate from the disastrous concept that it might be a good idea to delay advancement in monitor technologies because a small subset of the population (i.e. gamers) disapproves. If they actually would.

Second monitors can be useful but aren't always practical. Besides, my 15.6" laptop with 1080p resolution offers an extremely useful increase in resolution over 1366x768 resolution (annoyingly, standard res on 15" laptop screens), with a DPI of 141 vs 102. Compare that to a 24" desktop monitor offering 1080p res (again, standard) - that has only 92 DPI, and a 30" monitor with 2560x1600 res has only 101 DPI.
    Desktop monitors are way behind the curve on useful pixel densities. By my back-of-an-envelope calculations, for a 24" to rival the (useful) PPI of my laptop, it needs to hit 2711x2033 res. For a 30"er, 3389x2541. These are massive increases that will make a big difference in general use, at least for 24" screens (I've not used 2560x1600 et al res so can't comment on whether it'll be a big step from that to c.3389x2541.
    I have to disagree with almost all your points though especially after you wrote the following:

"really, how many monitors do you have to shoehorn together to max out a pair of GTX 590s SLI'd or similar?"

BTW,I have worked with high end monitors for scientific imaging and video work.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 22-02-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

I'm confused, you haven't addressed any of my points except to say you disagree

Thanks

A massive PPI increase on a desktop would be a daft idea, I had (or have, can't remember if I've sold it) a 19" 1680x1050 monitor and at native res with >20/20 vision, it wasn't terribly easy to read text while in a normal sitting position, especially with tired eyes. What is the point in buying a much more expensive monitor purely for PPI when you'll have to make everything the same size as on a standard monitor so you can actually see it? PCs monitors have a very different usage model to tablets/phones. There's only so small you can make PC monitor pixels while people can still read them without a microscope, beyond which you're really just wasting money on e-peen.

TBH I don't think SLI 590s are exactly mainstream even amongst enthusiasts, so it's not really fair to say the because the tiny amount of people who wish to burn such a large amount of money can't fully max out their setup on a few older games, we should all have super-high PPI monitors we have to run at an 'old' resolution to play games with anything remotely cost-effective. It's not just 'cheap' hardware as you say, even high-end cards would struggle to run what is essentially a 2x2 multi-monitor setup in terms of resolution, only you can't see nearly as much of the added detail as you would with more actual monitors; you're really not going to see much, if any, of a difference by increasing the PPI for games, just make it one HECK of a lot harder to run and massively increase VRAM requirements.

18. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (27-02-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information