• Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Re: News - UK Student faces 10 years in US jail for copyright infringement

So, because topless bathing is illegal in parts of the US, can they extradite British wimmin who bathe topless on holiday in France, or Greece?*

*The first thing that's illegal in the US that came to my mind...
    Last edited by Smudger; 17-01-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Addition/explanation

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    Probably true. Thinking of the US specifically, have you not read over the "PATRIOT" Act?
    i have done before, but there seems to be a lot of FUD mixed in with the actual facts so its hard to really know what it will actually be used for, what they can use it for and what they have used it for.

My tinfoil hat does stay nearby nowerdays with all this 'terrorism risk' business. Just seems like an easy go to excuse to do whatever the hell they like regardless of your human rights and all the other laws which have worked perfectly fine for x amount of years.

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb

So does this open the door for the extradition of any UK citizen doing something that is a crime in the US but not in the UK?

If it's legal to host links to copyrighted material in the UK then as a UK citizen on UK soil I don't feel he's broken the law (certainly a grey area morally, he wasn't doing anything 'good' by providing the links).

Ignoring the US->UK only trend of extraditions... could the UK try and charge someone in the US with something that is legal there but not legal here, ie owning a handgun? I don't understand how one countries laws can be used outside of it's borders...

Could Pakistan (unlikely as we probably dont have a treaty with them) request a British married gay couple to be extradited? No... it's legal here... slightly extreme example I know.

"Team America: World Police" seems fitting here...

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    He still did not host any illegal content.....merely links to them.
    A person who points you in the direction of a drug dealer is an accessory to crime.

A person who points you in the direction of a prostitute (aka pimp) is an accessory to crime.

A person who points you in the direction of illegal copyright protected material is an accessory to crime.

Plus he made money from his website and actions - seems clear he is guilty, but I think the American courts will try to make an example of him.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    A person who points you in the direction of a drug dealer is an accessory to crime.

A person who points you in the direction of a prostitute (aka pimp) is an accessory to crime.

A person who points you in the direction of illegal copyright protected material is an accessory to crime.

Plus he made money from his website and actions - seems clear he is guilty, but I think the American courts will try to make an example of him.
    See my first post then.........

Better jail goggle, yahoo, etc

And 99% of the time the police do nothing to such people other then use them to apprehend the real perpetrators of crime.

But in this case, they want to throw the book at the messenger. Bravo. That'll really help.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb

In February last year charges involving fraud and copyright against a similar site, TV-Links, were dismissed after a judge ruled that linking alone was not illegal.
    (source is only The Guardian) but what he did, based on previous cases, is not illegal in the UK.

Thanks
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

I see no reason the US should have him, isn't the only link to the US verisign?, If he has broken the law then he should be tried and jailed if necessary in the UK, other than that the US should keep its nose out.
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    I think they are right to prosecute him for what he did, but its so very wrong to extradite him to the US.
    The extradition law was set up for terrorism but its now being used for copy-write issues? Have Hexus got the wrong end of the stick here or is this true?
    Personally i think its a terrifying prospect if such a thing is true.
    Probably true. Thinking of the US specifically, have you not read over the "PATRIOT" Act?
    Is this related to the 'bilateral' extradition treaties the US signed with everyone that magically became unilateral (i.e. the US will not send its citizens to you but you are bound to send tyours to them) when congress refused to subsequently ratify it? Whichever numpty agreed to this on our (and other nations behalf) should be shot for not putting in a clause that it would only apply if it worked both ways.

Meanwhile, would the US even consider extraditing a US citizen to another country for a crime that was not a criminal offence in the US, even if it had physically been committed on foreign soil? (Genuine question here - can anyone think of any examples?)

Thanks
    • Animus404's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
      • CPU:
      • 3.2Ghz AMD PhenomII x4 955
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3 1600mhz (Corsair XMS3)
      • Storage:
      • 320GB WD Caviar Black + 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX 970 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 525watt Entermax Modu82+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21" LCD HP Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 38Mbit

The article says "Under British Law, O’Dwyer’s actions are not illegal as his websites did not host copyrighted material." and the article also states that the extradition act was setup specifically to deal with Terrorism. Surely this is abusing the act and ignoring British Law. If he was in the United States when he set the website up then there might be grounds for extradition.

Whatever next? Are we going to start sending people to Saudi Arabia to face a trial for Witchcraft just because they setup a website about it?

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post
    Meanwhile, would the US even consider extraditing a US citizen to another country for a crime that was not a criminal offence in the US, even if it had physically been committed on foreign soil? (Genuine question here - can anyone think of any examples?)
    That's the best part of it for me, and perhaps touching on SOPA, but couldn't he argue freedom of speech/expression and so on.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post
    Is this related to the 'bilateral' extradition treaties the US signed with everyone that magically became unilateral (i.e. the US will not send its citizens to you but you are bound to send tyours to them) when congress refused to subsequently ratify it? Whichever numpty agreed to this on our (and other nations behalf) should be shot for not putting in a clause that it would only apply if it worked both ways
    It was Tony Blair....

Supposedly, Nick Clegg has said he will look into the law - so, don't expect anything to change.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

He still did not host any illegal content.....merely links to them.

Seems they want to constantly move "the line"......wonder how long before it's illegal to report news like this? After all, your potentially profiting from someone who is "breaking the law"...
    It raises a couple of issues.

First, the nature of offences when the internet is involved, precisely because you can do things from anywhere, host things in one country and provide access to another, while living in a third. In many places, and many ways, the law has yet to catch up with that.

As for "merely" hosting links, well, if I "merely" describe how to build a bomb, how to make the chemicals, and to brew explosive, how to construct a timer, and how to get it past airport security, can I expect a "visit" from well-armed police? Probably, and I'd deserve it. But all I've down is write words, I haven't told anyone to build a bomb, much less encouraged them to use it.

Okay, the analogy only goers so far, but if this site was, as appears to be the case, largely aimed at facilitating copyright infringement, then he was telling people where to get the components to build a copyright bomb. And, according to reports, when the site was taken down he immediately put another one back up, with a pointed hint at contempt for authority.

He was, as far as I can make out, running a site which relied on being a parasite, feeding off of the work of others, and according to reports, making quite a lot of money out of it. There is, in my view, little qualitative difference between hosting copyright infringing materials, and hosting links telling people where to find the actual files. Either way, the object of the exercise is to infringe copyright, and to make money doing it.

If he's convicted, then I can only say he deserves it, and being young, or a student, or "naive" as his mother apparently said, is no excuse, any more than it is for any other criminal action. He's made his bed, and now it's time to lie in it, even if it looks like it might be a bunk in a prison cell.

And this wasn't, from what I can gather, a tiny little hobby site, either. This is not an individual copying a few films or CDs for his mates. It's the provision of assistance for copyright infringement on a large scale.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by streetster View Post
    (source is only The Guardian) but what he did, based on previous cases, is not illegal in the UK.
    Not according to the judge. He exercised too much control overt the links to be classed as a "mere conduit", as was the case with TV-Links. That's why the extradition was granted.

14. Received thanks from:

streetster (17-01-2012)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

It was Tony Blair....

Supposedly, Nick Clegg has said he will look into the law - so, don't expect anything to change.
    But Mr Clegg promised ..... oh wait ....

It was a promise, not a pledge, wasn't it. And we all know what political promises are worth. Now, had it been a pledge, in writing .....

Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

He was, as far as I can make out, running a site which relied on being a parasite, feeding off of the work of others, and according to reports, making quite a lot of money out of it. There is, in my view, little qualitative difference between hosting copyright infringing materials, and hosting links telling people where to find the actual files. Either way, the object of the exercise is to infringe copyright, and to make money doing it.
    So, you agree that all search engines should also be accountable and stood beside him in court?

You cannot have a law for one and not the other.

Plus, before you mention that he exerted control over the links, so do search engines.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    That's a matter of opinion, and ultimately, for a court to decide. But based on reports I've read, I disagree. It looks to me like he knew exactly what he was doing, and thought that either no action would be taken, or that if it was, he was immune from action by the US courts. It looks like he was wrong on both points.

Of course, it remains to be seen if the extradition actually takes place, and if it does, whether he's convicted in a US court.

Again, based on the reports I've read, yes to both.
    Under British Law, O’Dwyer’s actions are not illegal as his websites did not host copyrighted material.
    Hmm?

You're not seriously suggesting that British citizens should be subject to US law, are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information