Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Features - QOTW: will you buy PlayStation Vita?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Features - QOTW: will you buy PlayStation Vita?

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    Agreed,

If it was called the 'Microsoft magic p122 enema 14000dsp gtx 570' , hexus would love it.

I'll buy one when there is a game I want to play.
    I am so going to produce a tech product and call it the enema. "New from S.ik computing - The Enema"

Thanks
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC

Discussing the hardware & merits of the Vita is, for me, completely missing the point.
    Since i've had an iphone and now a Galaxy SII, i'm comfortable with paying 59p for a game, or 99p, or (maybe) £1.99.
    If Sony is willing to sell the games at £1.99, then i'm interested.

That sounds ridiculous though, doesn't it? New Vita games at £1.99?? That goes to show how much they have strongarmed the industry, and the public, in to thinking that a game -should- cost over £25. Crazy. Not me, I opt out.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

If I was a "hardcore" portable gamer then Vita makes a lot of sense - as noted elsewhere it's got a darned good spec, although Sony's done their usual and gone with yet-another-memory format.

On the other hand, I gave my PSP away because it was just gathering dust, and then traded back my DSi XL, so the chances of me getting one is zero. From what I've seen, tablets like my Transformer are capable of playing the kind of games I like - and on screens far larger than that on Vita. Plus the games are a lot cheaper on the tablet, so I'll give Vita a miss.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

HSK
    Thanks
    • HSK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro Socket 1150 DVI HDMI DisplayPort 8-channel Audio ATX Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Memory CML16GX3M2A1600C9 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache X 2 + Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Point Of View 8800GTS 512mb PCIE DVI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional AX860 Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum 860W PSU
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T Mesh Black Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 69cm (27")
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net

Not sure how gaming on a mobile phone or tablet, can be compared to gaming on a Vita -It's on a completely different level, in many ways.

But it's simple, if you are a proper gamer and want an experience more in-line with console gaming (in terms of graphics, longevity, playability, big name franchises etc) the a Vita would be the choice.

I still don't think regular mobile gaming can compete and capture that feeling. I never really play mobile games for more then 10/20 mins at a time....but I have played on my PSP for hours, or habitually until I've completed a game.

Maybe soon mobile gaming can catch up, like the recent release of games like GTA 3 etc...but there still a long way to go. A dedicated controller always helps too.

I still think it is expensive though, but I do want one!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HSK View Post
    A dedicated controller always helps too.
    Agreed,

Mobile phone gaming is great for short bursts of certain types of game but no good when accurate control is needed. Ie tower defense games rock while racing games tend to be poor.

Also most mobile phones do not have a form factor or design for long term playing. You can do a few hours on a PSP/DS when your hands are ready to fall off after 20 mins on your phone.

Thanks

yes, all good points about the mobile games playing, but really, in a world with so many competing formats, can another one prevail? That's the problem, hard core gamers already have the consoles and so forth, so why shell out a rather large amount for something new? As I said, most people are happy paying £1.99 for a mobile game, would you pay £25?
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

HSK
    Thanks
    • HSK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache X 2 + Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net

But they're not like mobile games :S In terms of experience and depth....There's nothing on a mobile that could rival it from imo.

Have a think about the time it would take to produce your regular mobile game, and the time it takes to produce a vita game. Think about the software houses that produce most these games, and the experience, name franchises and the games they already have under their belts.

They are worlds apart. I don't think the line has blurred that much between the two.

Thanks

I am a little surprised it took 3 pages for one poster to share my opinion (HSK)

Well, in a way, I do agree with MSIC's first line (at least the part about hardware):
    Quote Originally Posted by MSIC View Post
    Discussing the hardware & merits of the Vita is, for me, completely missing the point.
    I do not buy consoles for the spec, I buy it to play games. Of course, a more powerful machine provides developers with a platform to *potentially* develop better games, with more depth, features and polish. While I have no doubt that current mobile phones are every bit as capable, if not more so, than the DS/PSP from a hardware perspective, I simply do not find the content of mobile phone games as satisfying as the ones from the consoles. And as already mentioned, the lack of controller on the typical touch screen smartphone is a limitation. To me, it's at least as much of an handicap than the lack of keyboard / mouse on consoles (vs PCs).

Do I really want to pay £50 per game? Or £200-250 for the console? Not really, and for that reason, I am not going to buy the PSP Vita yet. I'll wait for the price to drop, more games to show up second hand, and then *think* about it.

But I won't rule it out. I am in Japan now, and games/memory cards are more expensive than in the UK, and the consoles about the same price too. At the same time, I have access to so many games that will never see a release in the West, and many look so fun. That's why I just bought a PSP.

There is a large collection of second hand library, which still costs 10 times more than £1.99 games, but I am willing to spend more £ per gaming time, for more enjoyment. Even if I don't get 10 times more enjoyment I am not looking for bang for buck on one of my favourite hobby.

I understand that whether the rest of the market shares may not be the case. It may well be that people will only do their serious gaming on home consoles and happy to stick to casual games while they are on the go. In my case though, I spend a fair amount of time commuting so I'd like some better games while I am in the tube or a hotel room I know that sooner or later, I *will* get a 3DS, because there are some titles I really want to play coming out soon. I still begrudge Nintendo for region locking the 3DS though, and this is one aspect Sony's done good on the Vita (on the down side, boo on the new proprietary memory card - though interestingly, SD cards in Japan are so expensive - £40-55+ on class 4-10 - that proprietary Sony memory cards aren't such a disadvantage).
    Last edited by TooNice; 22-01-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks

But they're not like mobile games :S In terms of experience and depth....There's nothing on a mobile that could rival it from imo.

Have a think about the time it would take to produce your regular mobile game, and the time it takes to produce a vita game. Think about the software houses that produce most these games, and the experience, name franchises and the games they already have under their belts.

They are worlds apart. I don't think the line has blurred that much between the two.
    I'm not arguing your points...just in this present economy, and many people being more casual about gaming I can't see where this is going to fit into the masses plans...

HSK
    Thanks
    • HSK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net

I think, casual gaming has found a market of it's own - I don't feel the proper gamers have changed their habits etc (they'll always still be there, and will welcome tech like Vita) there's just a whole load of new casual gamers, who own high powered smart phones - which has been tapped in to by the app sellers.

Thanks

perhaps, which is why I posed the question...
    Next problem though is the price don't ya think?

HSK
    Thanks
    • HSK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net

Yea, after all said LOL it's abit much :-(

I visit HK in a week or so, debating whether to back one while I'm out there...

Thanks

BTW love your signature...

14. Received thanks from:

HSK (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC

I do agree that an average Vita, or 3DS game (or PS3 or X360 etc) are all going to have more production time, better visuals, and in general just be worth more to buy & own than an average 'mobile' game.
    For me though, and starting largely I think with Apple, the public's perception of the worth of a game has dropped dramatically, and if Sony, Nintendo et al dont think very carefully about how they position themselves in the market the could lose serious amounts of money.

I remember a report recent about (or possibly from) Steam, which talked about when they have their sales on. Something (as approximately as my lazy brain can remember) like a 70% cut in sale price results in a 500% increase in profits....
    I guess everyone likes to feel that they got a bargain and are not being ripped off.
    Ultimately, a good game should still sell well (i'd pay £40 for a new good Final Fantasy any day of the year), but if the public perceives an ecosystem as being expensive, its unlikely to sell in large numbers.
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

Thanks

As a friend of mine said - one of the strangest things that they think Apple did *not* do is design an official controller pad add on for the iphone. Yes they would need a new one every couple of generations as the shape of the phone changes but even so. By creating an official selection of buttons and communication protocol/standard with the phone, it would catalyse a whole range of supporting games which could leverage the controller's advantage (ie platformers etc and not just tilt-racing, tower defence and angry birds style games).

It could have seriously eaten in to Nintendo (and Sony's) market share for portable gaming. Yes the dedicated gaming machines would always have been better for the hardcore but I love gaming and touchscreen only controls can be frustrating/limiting. I have android anyway where a million different models exacerbates the issue. Yes I know there are some universal attaching android controller pads but again the problem is lack of games/supported games. I don't particularly care for apple but by espousing the elegance of only using a touchscreen, I think they've missed a huge opportunity.

17. Received thanks from:

crossy (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

"Meh" is all I can say about the Vita - it's pretty boring and run of the mill to be honest. Where are the gimmicks that make a geek want to buy it? There is absolutely nothing new here worth looking at. Quad core cpu? Who cares..powerful gpu? same again, graphics do not make a good game.

Touchscreen? Got a DS, a smartphone and a tablet..moving on..motion sensing? Same again.

I think that a dedicated playstation fan may be interested, but in reality..I think that the market has moved on.

I bought a 3DS purely for the fact it was 3D (gimmick!) and that I could play my favourite old video games on it wherever I go (Zelda, Starfox, MK etc) - things I just can't do on a phone. I imagine that the Vita would have a similar appeal to playstation fans, when you start to get Final Fantasy/Tekken/Fifa XXXX on it, but most traditional gamers won't go near it.

In Short - good for die hard PSX fans, but for the rest of us it's too expensive, too boring and lacking in a killer feature.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information