Thread: News - Star Wars The Old Republic hit with teething problems

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Star Wars The Old Republic hit with teething problems

Long server queues, glitches and bugs greet early adopters.
    Read more.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: News - Star Wars The Old Republic hit with teething problems

"Do you think it’s acceptable to launch a game that feels like it’s in beta?"

It would only feel like a beta if you had no experience of what a real beta is like. By all accounts that I've seen so far it's a very polished game for the amount of content - it must have cost an obscene amount to get it this polished.

"Or do you expect early technical problems with MMOs and have faith that things will be fixed?"

Depends what they're going for. They had already warned of the population issues and it's a deliberate tactic (they would rather have queues than low server populations).

The reason so many players are disappointed is simply that so many more players are playing the game. It's got what, 1.5 million players? That's a ludicrous number! Use that to scale the complaints and it's a tiny proportion.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

An MMORPG release that feels like beta and has long queues?

How refreshing and new (NOT!)
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

As someone who was there for the launch of WoW, and each of it's expansion packs after that..the release of TOR has gone like a dream for me.

I pre ordered on sat morning, and was playing by 2pm that day..no queues, no crashes..just straight in. I didn't log out for 12 hours (such was the addiction!), and then played again each day after that..not once have I hit a queue or crash, or even any lag.

Compared to the launch of WoW when I had constant crashing, lag, server queues, disconnections..a nightmare.

As I understand it it's mainly people on the very first wave of servers who are having problems - most people who joined the servers from the second or later batches don't seem to have any problems.

Thanks

It seems to be specific servers. There's a list somewhere of which servers are having the longest queues

Registered+
    Thanks
    • RedFlames's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe v2
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920 @ 3.2
      • Memory:
      • 12GB [6x2GB] Corsair 1600MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte nVidia GTX570
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb

an mmo with launch-time teething trouble... how unexpected...

Used to be called guru
    Thanks

It's just a few servers with the long queues.

My server hasn't had a queue yet, since early start, and I'm very impressed with the polish of this game.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

I'm definitely fed up with gaming companies releasing games that feel like they're still in beta-development, though with MMO's there's a bit more lieniency because the game will see continual development throughout the lifetime of the project.

What is unforgivable though, is to not have enough hardware capacity to handle your pre-orders. Why on earth are these games still being run on what amounts to seperate machines per server entry? There's plenty of tricks that can be used in a game to seperate players, why stick with an antiquidated design of "this is your server name"?

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks

Been playing for a few days and luckily have not had any problems with queues etc but considering the pain of the WoW launch this has been smooth as anything.

@Lucio - I can understand what you are saying about the servers, but with the numbers playing I do not think it is sensible to do it another way. I know Champions Online does it with instances, but I do not believe that would work, as you would still need to have separate servers for PVE, PVP, RP etc.

Also from a hardware point, probably easier to do it the way they have done.
    They come from the dark and slice your head off

Thanks

Have had huge server ques from early access and still now although they have died down a bit on the first day of my access it took 7hrs to get in and even now 2hr ques are not uncommon.
    Still I do play on the most bussy server of them all which dont help a lot of servers do have very small to none existent ques.
    As for the game itself its very good fun great story line and enjoying it how I will feel after the story is done though maybe a different thing.

Thanks

the popular servers have a queue - the less popular ones dont - if you want to play , dont join a `alleady maxed to the limit` server.

Registered+
    Thanks

Star wars blew up my graphics card (

Thanks

I've been playing since Dec. 26 and have had no server queue's yet...and am thankful. I do enjoy the game but have not decided whether it will hold my attention or loyalty for much longer. I understand and agree that problems/issues are to be expected with a release and have worked through others in other games, of this size and population...it's not new. My issues, as well as many others I've talked to and watched discuss in chat, are some of the aspects of the game, character abilities, expenses for character and crafting training, crafting times and expenses, AH issues, resources, etc.

I have read in a couple of non-related articles that a huge chunk of the financial cost of this game was toward the quest videos, which are unique. They are also far too detailed and lengthy...I timed 10 video quests during 2 hours of gaming and realized why I felt that way...27 minutes was spent in participation of these videos...gimme a break....really?

Between the videos and having to wait 2 to 15 minutes for a companion to craft 1 item, even when i send them to craft while i play, I feel as though my characters are held back in many ways, not be my imcompetence or lack of participation, but by EA's control in areas of the game that are intrusive and unnecessary.

Hopefully the good will eventually overcome the inadequate and ridiculously "un-thought-out" aspects of the game. If not there's no doubt that the 1.5+ million players (or so they say) wont be a factor to server issues....they'll bail for something better.

Splash

I actually really like the companion crafting system - I think it brings something a little different instead of standing in one place repeatedly clicking a button. I'm only 41 (nearly 42) though, so that may change once I hit 50.

Thread Information