Thread: News - Toshiba launches ultra-slim AT200 tablet in the UK

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Toshiba launches ultra-slim AT200 tablet in the UK

Originally launched as the Toshiba Excite X10 in the US, the world's thinnest tablet hits UK shores.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - Toshiba launches ultra-slim AT200 tablet in the UK

Sorry if this sounds like sour grapes, but I'm not convinced that a thinner tablet is more desirable than a "thicker" one. It hadn't occurred to me until I did a head-to-head of my Asus Transformer against my wife's HP TouchPad. Despite the TP being thicker, it felt "nicer" to hold - then again the Transformer has had comments that it feels a bit "flimsy" in places.

Nope, imho, it's weight that's more important than thickness - I'd prefer an 8mm thick tablet that weighed half as much as a 4mm thick one.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

AlexKitch

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Sorry if this sounds like sour grapes, but I'm not convinced that a thinner tablet is more desirable than a "thicker" one. It hadn't occurred to me until I did a head-to-head of my Asus Transformer against my wife's HP TouchPad. Despite the TP being thicker, it felt "nicer" to hold - then again the Transformer has had comments that it feels a bit "flimsy" in places.

Nope, imho, it's weight that's more important than thickness - I'd prefer an 8mm thick tablet that weighed half as much as a 4mm thick one.
    I disagree, actually. I much prefer a device with a bit of weight to it - I think it aids a more 'premium' feel, rather than featherweight devices that end up feeling 'plasticy' and fragile.

"Horses for courses", as they say.

Thanks
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550I Gaming Edge
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 32GB HyperX 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 1920GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti FE
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • SSUPD Meshlicious
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 150Mb

Personally, I feel it's the material and the way that it's joined that's most important. For example, unibodies have generally "felt the strongest". However, some materials do come at a weight though. Personally I'd like something light, thin but with a "strong" design/material.

I've not actually played with many tablets nor am I looking for one though, so my "different" opinion may be a wrong one.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexKitch View Post
    I disagree, actually. I much prefer a device with a bit of weight to it - I think it aids a more 'premium' feel, rather than featherweight devices that end up feeling 'plasticy' and fragile.
    Pretty much everything in computing premium = lighter.

I find an iPad2 rather heavy, too much for 1 hand. My Archos 80 G9 just slips into acceptable - it looks cheap, it was cheap but I'd take it out every time over the Mrs' iPad2.

Thanks
    • Animus404's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
      • CPU:
      • 3.2Ghz AMD PhenomII x4 955
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3 1600mhz (Corsair XMS3)
      • Storage:
      • 320GB WD Caviar Black + 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX 970 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 525watt Entermax Modu82+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21" LCD HP Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 38Mbit

For me the Blackberry Playbook felt perfect in the hand. I just wish it was running something other than the QNX OS, I like the OS as well but I'm not convinced it will take off.

As for the other tablets, currently it's the price that is putting me off. I'm still convinced that the money spent on a tablet would be better spent on a Laptop. Just waiting to see if anybody puts Windows 8 into a Transformer type form factor, I think that would be the device for me.

AlexKitch

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Pretty much everything in computing premium = lighter.

I find an iPad2 rather heavy, too much for 1 hand. My Archos 80 G9 just slips into acceptable - it looks cheap, it was cheap but I'd take it out every time over the Mrs' iPad2.
    Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? Your Archos fits your lightweight definition of 'premium' very nicely - yet you describe it as looking and being cheap.

Plucked from Wiki:

"In marketing and advertising, premium refers to a segment of a company's brands or products that carries tangible or imaginary surplus value in the upper mid- to high price range. The targeted high income customer group is also frequently referred to as "premium". Premium brands are designed to convey an impression of exclusiveness"

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Animus404 View Post
    As for the other tablets, currently it's the price that is putting me off. I'm still convinced that the money spent on a tablet would be better spent on a Laptop. Just waiting to see if anybody puts Windows 8 into a Transformer type form factor, I think that would be the device for me.
    Windows 8 isn't out yet! But if you could "put up with" a Windows 7 one then there's always

See http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/. Only downside is that because it has to run current Windows it's about £900 - that said if you can live with having a permanently attached keyboard then you can get a tablet-form-factor netbook for just over £400. Oh, and that doesn't have the backup battery in the keyboard that the Android based ones do.

Don't have a problem "downsizing" to my TF101 - Doc2Go lets me do office-type stuff and I can find analogs for most of the other programs I need.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

9. Received thanks from:

Animus404 (08-02-2012)

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexKitch View Post
    Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? Your Archos fits your lightweight definition of 'premium' very nicely - yet you describe it as looking and being cheap.

Plucked from Wiki:

"In marketing and advertising, premium refers to a segment of a company's brands or products that carries tangible or imaginary surplus value in the upper mid- to high price range. The targeted high income customer group is also frequently referred to as "premium". Premium brands are designed to convey an impression of exclusiveness"
    The two sentences were not really related, I was just making the point that *generally* in mobile computing premium products are smaller and lighter than similar products... The iPad2 is quite light/slim in it's size class - 10".

Buuuuuut... I still find an iPad2 heavy, my Archos is not in the same size class as an iPad2 though so not directly comparable, in the 8" class there is probably lighter than my Archos (not much choice in that size range though, 7" are definitely lighter). I was just using it as an example to back up why I would prefer the lightweight choice over something heavier and why lightweight generally means premium... although the Archos is not very premium it just shows why light is good... errr

See... clear as mud

Thread Information