Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Features - QOTW: What do you think of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview?

Splash

Re: Features - QOTW: What do you think of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview?

Am I the only person who prefers Process Explorer to the new task manager?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Malphas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator 16GB (4x4GB)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB and a bunch of hard drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-6B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW
      • Internet:
      • 24Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by tickleonthetum View Post
    Oh and the video ad seems aimed at teenagers who just want a glorified smart phone rather than 'real' people who work and play on their PC in any serious capacity. Bling over function is Windows 8...
    I think what you describe as "teenagers who just want a glorified smart phone" is actually the majority of real people, and what you refer to as "real people" is something you're extrapolating from your own case scenario, which is actually extremely limited and in fact fairly disconnected from the real world (no social networks, no cloud services, third party security software, etc. - you're basically running your PC as if it's still the 1990's). Nothing wrong with that, I don't use any social networks myself, but you'll have to accept the rest of the world has moved on.

Thanks

Not bothered yet.
    I am fairly sure my next machine will be Linux only, instead of dual boot.

If the retail price is anything over £25 I ain't considering it.

Registered+
    Thanks

For me it smells marketing, hardsell and at some sense, cheap.

Might looks good for handheld (smartphone, etc.), but for tablet size I'll look something else.
    I stare at 27" monitor 7 hours a day. Definitely will keep 7 and leave Metro out of question.

Sorry..

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

The paragon of Windows user interface:

Everything since then was a pointless regressive eyecandy blemish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Completely disagree.

Windows Key + typing a string.

I love that one.

'Smart' searching, taking into account the fact that I've gigabytes of RAM and oodles of CPU to spare, making it suggest what I might want. That is the best thing.

What I hate about win 8, is that I'm a keyboard man, even in WIMP apps, I like to Tab, Space & Enter my way about. Win 8 seems to have devolved away from touch. There is a reason why playing the Piano is easier than a Thermon!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Malphas View Post
    I think what you describe as "teenagers who just want a glorified smart phone" is actually the majority of real people, and what you refer to as "real people" is something you're extrapolating from your own case scenario, which is actually extremely limited and in fact fairly disconnected from the real world (no social networks, no cloud services, third party security software, etc. - you're basically running your PC as if it's still the 1990's). Nothing wrong with that, I don't use any social networks myself, but you'll have to accept the rest of the world has moved on.
    Actually, there are plenty of commandline applications which communicate with facebook users, mount filesystems connected to 'cloud services', etc... Having a stable, sane software base doesn't mean disconnecting yourself from the rest of the world.
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Completely disagree.

Windows Key + typing a string.
    Useful for granny, not so much for me. For me, finding files is a solved problem, by sanely structuring my directory hierarchies (i.e. actually using them), I eliminate search ambiguity and time wasted looking for it.

But you're right, it has its uses, and Microsoft could have easily integrated it into the win2k start menu without the grotesque application of modern day software bloat.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Useful for granny, not so much for me. For me, finding files is a solved problem, by sanely structuring my directory hierarchies (i.e. actually using them), I eliminate search ambiguity and time wasted looking for it.

But you're right, it has its uses, and Microsoft could have easily integrated it into the win2k start menu without the grotesque application of modern day software bloat.
    pfft, you think in such simplistic tree dimensional terms. I want my win FS.

What about versioned things, shared OneNotes.

You want to find a string, it might be in PDF, an email, a oneNote etc.

These are everyday problems for me, for the finding a file, 90% of the time its a CTRL+SHIFT+T issue...
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Malphas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-6B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 24Mbps ADSL

Actually, there are plenty of commandline applications which communicate with facebook users, mount filesystems connected to 'cloud services', etc... Having a stable, sane software base doesn't mean disconnecting yourself from the rest of the world.
    A) This is has got nothing to do with what I was referring to. B) When you start blabbering about CLI programs you're basically disconnected from anything resembling modern mainstream computer use.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Malphas View Post
    A) This is has got nothing to do with what I was referring to. B) When you start blabbering about CLI programs you're basically disconnected from anything resembling modern mainstream computer use.
    It has plenty to do with what you're talking about. It just went right over your head. CLI and modern computer usage aren't mutually exclusive. Even if you're entirely ignorant about CLI use, you could have gleamed that from what I replied to you. Even in a purely tty (teletype terminal, for those who don't know about computing history) environment without any graphical desktop at all, framebuffer interfaces allow you to watch movies, view photos, play music, browse the internet, peer to peer file share, edit files, write and build software (even web apps), find files, search file contents, chat, email, and on and on. Your limited imagination isn't at all relevant to what minimal programmes can and can not do.

Thanks

As people here have said, the lack of a start menu on the desktop is not good as we are now forced to use the 'touch-screen' designed interface with our mouse. If you had a touch screen monitor then maybe it would not be so bad, but the majority of desktop & laptop users will not have touch screen monitors. Hopefully the original start menu back by popular demand !?!

Thanks

Do people still use the icons in their start menu?! winkey+type = vroooooom to your file. Or i bypass that and win+E and use the favs. I'd miss that if it had gone, luckily it's still all there. OK this may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's not all bad, the threading improvements will surely be worth a look in?

cheers
    brasc

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Love the idea that MS are "comfortable" enough with this to release a CP.

Unfortunately, the fact that it doesn't appear to "do" any screen smaller than 1024x768 and my VirtualBox screen is slightly smaller makes it harder to use than it would be.

Seriously not impressed (so far) with the UI, even less impressed that it seems to "encourage" you to link your PC with your online MS presence. Think Saracen will be giving this a big "avoid".

That said, there's bit's and pieces that I do like, so perhaps my current disenchantment with the UI will go once I slap it on a proper PC (well, very old Acer laptop at least). Still reminds me too much of Canonical's "Unity" interface - i.e. something obviously designed for tablets that has been forced stalin-like on everyone. But then again, I've only had a play with it for a couple of minutes, so perhaps more familiarity will reduce the level of contempt.

Pretty sure that the teenie and "cloud enabled" (TwitBookG+) folks will love it though.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

Step backwards in my opinion, feels like MS are trying to force a tables/touchscreen on everyone. I have tried to use it since the Developer Preview on a laptop, and it just feels wrong for a corporate environment never mind a home use PC. On my corporate PC's there are a few apps so the metro menu wouldnt be too large. However on my home PC there is a lot of software installed, so the metro interface would end up huge. Just look at your OS file system that is nested for a reason, same as the start menu, lets you logically group shortcuts in locations you choose, making it easier to find. I use a android tablet, and it can be a real pain to find a little used application as i cant group apps into folders, going to be exactly the same for windows 8.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Malphas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-6B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 24Mbps ADSL

It has plenty to do with what you're talking about. It just went right over your head. CLI and modern computer usage aren't mutually exclusive. Even if you're entirely ignorant about CLI use, you could have gleamed that from what I replied to you. Even in a purely tty (teletype terminal, for those who don't know about computing history) environment without any graphical desktop at all, framebuffer interfaces allow you to watch movies, view photos, play music, browse the internet, peer to peer file share, edit files, write and build software (even web apps), find files, search file contents, chat, email, and on and on. Your limited imagination isn't at all relevant to what minimal programmes can and can not do.
    Again nothing to do with what I said. You were the one that brought up commandline applications. Look at the original post I was replying to, it was tickleonthetum who mentioned that he doesn't use social networking sites, etc. I can't believe you're this obtuse.

Just to clarify, even though it wasn't my original point in this thread, but rather something you brought up, CLI applications are obviously far detached from modern mainstream computer usage, not because of what they can and can't do, but because of the simple fact that no regular computer user wants to use the commandline in this century. You're assuming I'm ignorant of CLI use, and you're wrong, but I'm not talking about people like us, I'm referring to the real world, something you seem incapable of relating to.

My original point, before you hijacked it with your bizarre CLI based rant, was that tickleonthetum was negatively judging Windows 8 based on his admittedly limited and dated usage patterns, but failed to realise it. e.g.

We have no use for Social Networking of any kind. None! That's right we don't use Facebook, Twitter, et al.
    We are happy with our level of security, we use Avira, Comodo Firewall and no cloud services at all. We don't have separate User Accounts in Win7 why bother when we both use the same programs and have no secrets?!
    Oh and the video ad seems aimed at teenagers who just want a glorified smart phone rather than 'real' people who work and play on their PC in any serious capacity. Bling over function is Windows 8...
    My point was that users he tries to classify as "real people" are actually closer to "teenagers who just want a glorified smart phone" than they are to people like him. That's what modern computer use is about (for better or worse depending on personal opinion), and that's why Windows 8 is catering to those users (the majority) and not people like him. Try reading things in context next time.
    Last edited by Malphas; 05-03-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information