Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News - GAME announces that it must close 60 stores in the UK by 2013

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - GAME announces that it must close 60 stores in the UK by 2013

The company, which comprises one of the few dedicated gaming chains, hits hard times.
    Read more.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: News - GAME announces that it must close 60 stores in the UK by 2013

and so it begins.

For me, it's the refusal to move with the times. They should have launched a "cheaper then the highstreet" digital download service a LONG time ago and sold vouchers in-store. I think they would have kept sales a lot higher then they are currently.

Still, tesco and asda are normally my choices if I do buy a physical box......mainly due to prices and launch-night availability......but I think the last box I bought was Black Ops.....that was over a year ago......since then online prices have gotten too low for me to consider the high-street.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Does this spell bad news for the gaming industry? Is GAME perhaps a victim of increased growth in the on-line segment? Or has it toppled under its own weight and a tradition of inefficient operations?
    I suspect that it's a hell-sent combination of supermarkets and Amazon that's largely responsible for GAME's problems. In the past I've seen our local Tescos, Sainsbury's and Asda all doing "the latest thing" cheaper than GAME did. In fact, they also seem to be adept at matching GAME's previous advantage - namely the "exclusive content".

Then of course there's Amazon - it's just too darned easy to click n' buy. The price of the incidentals - e.g. XBL points cards - is usually cheaper in the supermarkets and Amazon - which isn't helpful for GAME I guess. I also can't help wondering if the current persecution of the second hand market by the game publishers (by using one-time-only DLC) isn't also to blame somewhat.

My local GAME store went last year, and the trade pushed to one in the next town. Luckily some of the staff from the closed branch later turned up in our local Gamestation. Personally, I hope the group manages to pull through, because I think it'd be a sad day if they went under - I for one would miss the advice and help I've received from my local GAME and now local Gamestation store - "service+" that I definitely wouldn't get from the local supermarkets, HMV or Amazon.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

There are three reasons they are in trouble:
    1) One or 2 GAME stores plus a Gamestation store in every minor city/town (Salisbury, Southampton and Maidstone to name the ones I know). Why have three when one would have done
    2) Online/Supermarket - GAME just ignore the competition - even their online presence is expensive compared to others
    3) Ignoring gamers like me who aren't interested in trade ins and just want to pick up some half decent offers.

Thanks

It's a tough market. Steam, EA and some others got it right. Electronic copy is a way to go. No second hands, no free stuff. Want to play - buy. Unless you have a crawling Internet connection that is.. Don't know much of PS3 and XBox 360 games. Chances are Game was trying to make too much from second hand sales. Pity the staff though. Hopefully they will find "home" somewhere else.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    1) One or 2 GAME stores plus a Gamestation store in every minor city/town (Salisbury, Southampton and Maidstone to name the ones I know). Why have three when one would have done
    2) Online/Supermarket - GAME just ignore the competition - even their online presence is expensive compared to others
    3) Ignoring gamers like me who aren't interested in trade ins and just want to pick up some half decent offers.
    1) I got told (by someone in GAME) that Gamestation was their "budget" brand - more focussed on pre-owned. Certainly seems to be true to an extent from what I've seen - GAME seem to get the prime locations. That said more than one of each per town seems excessive.
    3) That's exactly what I liked about my (now-closed) GAME - because I was a "regular" they'd often suggest a cheaper option, (e.g. a barely used "pre-owned" copy at a tenner less). Good to see that - with the transfer of staff - that the local Gamestation is continuing that tradition.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

I used to shop at Game's high-street stores up until a few years ago. Now I do all my shopping online, and Game's online store is rarely the cheapest.

I did recently buy a Logitech Force GT steering wheel for PC/PS3 from Gamestation, though. Their price was about £20 cheaper than elsewhere.

As previously said, it's hard to compete with Amazon's prices and convenience. Very simple order process and the site sells pretty much everything at great prices, so I shop there a lot, which also means I can actually remember my login details when I need to buy something.

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Game/Gamestation overheads of renting shops must be massive compared to the overheads of the likes of Amazon for their buildings. They simply can not complete anymore, they can't be saved as a traditional retailer on the high street, much the same for HMV/Waterstones.

These store brands need to merge into larger outlets like supermarkets or PC world. They simply can't compete as a high street retailer against online competition. If they have told shareholders they can survive then they are kidding themselves.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    they'd often suggest a cheaper option, (e.g. a barely used "pre-owned" copy at a tenner less).
    With recent releases it would always be £2 in my experience, I'd rather buy the new copy for that difference, although they were still a good £10-£15 more expensive than a lot of other places so in the end I'd buy nothing...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    game bought gamestation a few years ago, so they ended up with loads of stores that were near each other, which was pretty pointless. i presume G bout GS at the peak of games retailing, so they are struggling now

it might help HMV out a bit with store closures though, as they might get more game business, until everything shifts more towards downloads and away from physical media in music, movies and games

Thanks
    • danroyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • N/A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 4720HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD +1tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce Gtx960m
      • PSU:
      • N/A
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    With recent releases it would always be £2 in my experience, I'd rather buy the new copy for that difference, although they were still a good £10-£15 more expensive than a lot of other places so in the end I'd buy nothing...
    my game store is the same it usually £40 new and £37.99 preowned on a new game.

For my it was the way just seemed to give up on pc gaming my loacal gamestation has a top 10 pc games and then a pile of games for 50p like sensible soccer and neverwinter nights. The top 10 is not very good as its never updated. I had to get them to specifically order in batman arkham city for release as they had no plans to stock it. i only got it from them as i had £30 on a card to use.

My game store is the same top 10 games but not exactly sure when they last updated it certainly not recently.

So i gave up on game and gamestation completely.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Reminds me of the British motorcycle industry c1977.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    game bought gamestation a few years ago, so they ended up with loads of stores that were near each other, which was pretty pointless. i presume G bout GS at the peak of games retailing, so they are struggling now

it might help HMV out a bit with store closures though, as they might get more game business, until everything shifts more towards downloads and away from physical media in music, movies and games
    They also brought out electronics boutique 10 or so years ago. Which is where most of there multiple stores came from.
    Currently there is two games, and a gamestation within half a mile of each other in southampton. There was a 3rd game up until about a year ago which was less than 100m from another store (it was inside a mall that's now as good as empty)

They should of cut down the stores a long time ago as they had too many. The major one does seems busy enough to me at weekends.

Thanks
    • MrBozack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k @4.47mHz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Blue DDR3
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD 7850 OC Windforce X2 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX 650W
      • Case:
      • SilverStone LC17
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro with MCE
      • Monitor(s):
      • Toshiba 40" LCD
      • Internet:
      • 24mb Copper

Game only pay people £24 for their (complete) Wii consoles. They then sell them for much, much more. How can ruthless business tactics like that make a loss??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keithwalton View Post
    They also brought out electronics boutique 10 or so years ago. Which is where most of there multiple stores came from.
    Currently there is two games, and a gamestation within half a mile of each other in southampton. There was a 3rd game up until about a year ago which was less than 100m from another store (it was inside a mall that's now as good as empty)

They should of cut down the stores a long time ago as they had too many. The major one does seems busy enough to me at weekends.
    i haven't seen an EB store in about 10 years. the only one i remember turned into something else years ago. wasn't EB an offshoot of virgin megastores?

i prefered gamestation to game as it did a bit more second hand stuff, as opposed to the "pre-owned", with retro stuff for older consoles and stuff like that in the window. whereas game was mostly "pre-owned" xbox/playstation titles, but gamestation was usually cheaper for both new and second hand on anything i wanted to buy. both gamestations i knew are closed now

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by MrBozack View Post
    Game only pay people £24 for their (complete) Wii consoles. They then sell them for much, much more. How can ruthless business tactics like that make a loss??
    How many people do you think sell them a complete Wii console @ £24?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information