Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Nikon launches new entry-level DSLR, the D3200

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Nikon launches new entry-level DSLR, the D3200

Guide Mode and a 24.2-megapixel CMOS sensor.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Nikon launches new entry-level DSLR, the D3200

Yes! About freeking time! Canon - time to retaliate! Show us your 650D, I need one badly

Thanks

Also:
    http://2.s.img-dpreview.com/files/news/5221388820/WU_1a.jpg?v=1468

Seems like Nikon is jumping to reveal bigger sensor, faster HD video recording (at 720p) and WiFi module + autofocus while filming. Hope Canon is not sleeping.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Its the same basic 24MP APS-C sensor found in some some Sony cameras with some Nikon modifications. It probably means it will be worse in low light than the 16MP Sony APS-C sensor found in many cameras such as the D5100,D7000 and Pentax K5.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    More details here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04...th-WiFi-Option

If this is the same sensor as in the NEX7 and A77 it is not as good in low light as the 16MP sensor previously used. Considering a lot of people seem to get low end dSLRs for improved low light image performance and autofocusing, I don't know why they Nikon did not use the latest version of the 16MP sensor. Most will be using lower end lenses which are not wide aperture anyway and it will test the limits of anything but perfect glass IMHO.

I suppose this will make a relatively cheap camera if you are interested in landscape photography!!

Here are sample pictures with the kit lens:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d3200/sample.htm

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah the megapixel wars....
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Never mind what Nikon did with it's new model. Canon is what interests me. I did notice as per that article though that point and shoots for mere €200 can do as much in video and stills (seen Sony HX9V for €240 in some shops). Kind of expect more from £600+ DSLR, especially in video (1080p@29.9999 FPS? come on.. 60FPS is becoming standard in point and shoots at that resolution).

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The vast majority of people use a dSLR for stills though,so TBH if you are that bothered about shooting loads of video a camcorder might still end up being a better choice. The whole point of having an optical viewfinder using a mirror(the whole SLR part) is for still image capture and TBH an optical viewfinder is of little use for video capture. On top of this dedicated filming devices tend to have a proper microphone too as opposed to the piddly little things found on most dSLRs.

A dSLR due to the larger sensor has a much narrower depth of field and on top of this manual zooming while filming is a fail unless you have very steady hands. Power zooms are far better suited for this and very few dSLRs have them. Power zooms are more fiddly than manual zooms for picture taking due to a lower level of fine zoom control and slower focal length change time. However,for video it is ideal as it stops jerking focal length transitions. If anything a mirrorless or electronic viewfinder camera is probably a better choice for a hybrid image/video camera and Panasonic have released some power zoom lenses for this purpose,but they are expensive.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 19-04-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks

There is a vast community of Canon EOS 500, 600 and 60D owners that shoot pretty amazing videos. Zoom is not my favourite, it just destroys the footage anyway. I have watched probably half of youtube and vimeo videos for DSLR filming and am quite hooked up. Have the cash ready for DSLR, just waiting for Canon EOS 650D reviews to pop up. Had decent point and shoot (HX5V). While video was reasonably smooth and shake free it lacked life (depth of field to be exact).

Thanks
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Watercooled i7-980X @ 4.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • 240 GB Vertex2E + 2 TB of Disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Water-cooled Sapphire 7970 @ 1175/1625
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 30" 3008WFP and two Dell 24" 2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Ah the megapixel wars....
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. At some point you're basically carrying around a stripped down spy satellite.

10. Received thanks from:

Terbinator (19-04-2012)

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks

Got a D3100 recently, very happy with it. This launch should see the prices of 'last-gen' Nikons pushed down even further.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

There is also a vast community of people who use their dSLRs prmarily for image taking. The whole point of a single lens reflex,ie,having a mirror-prism or mirror-mirror system is for still pictures. An SLR is not an ideal arrangement for taking video,period,so trying to shoe-horn features is just making a bastard device which is a jack of all trades but master of none.

The only reason Canon and Nikon are pushing SLRs with this feature is to save on development costs so it is bastard solution IMHO. They can end up using the same basic bodies.

One of the reasons Sony has moved to fixed pellicle mirrors and electronic viewfinders in their interchangeable lens non-mirrorless cameras(they are not dSLRs BTW) is for this reason.

Mirrorless cameras and those using electronic viewfinders are ideally suited for this work and all those people using dSLRs are not using an optical viewfinder are they?? They are chimping using the rear LCD panel.

Also,zooms are used in everything from documentaries to motion picture video capture and they all use power assisted zooming for a reason.

There are dSLRs sensors which can do 1080P at 60FPS(4K at 24FPS) and one of them is the 18MP 35MM frame sized sensor found in some higher Canon cameras,but guess what? That camera is extremely expensive and so are the dedicated lenses too.

I suspect it has been designed specifically with a view to video capture and hence they probably have made some design considerations to reduce heat build-up. This was one of the reasons live view,let alone video took so long to appear on dSLRs. Heat build up is a major concern if you do high speed imaging(the imaging CCDs I worked with in the past needed to be peltier cooled although this is far more demanding than consumer video).

The 24MP sensor in the D3200 is made by Sony and is a mass market design which I suspect will find its way into many cameras just like the previous 16MP one. It is still designed more with a view to still image quality I suspect than video.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 19-04-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edvinasm View Post
    There is a vast community of Canon EOS 500, 600 and 60D owners that shoot pretty amazing videos. Zoom is not my favourite, it just destroys the footage anyway. I have watched probably half of youtube and vimeo videos for DSLR filming and am quite hooked up. Have the cash ready for DSLR, just waiting for Canon EOS 650D reviews to pop up. Had decent point and shoot (HX5V). While video was reasonably smooth and shake free it lacked life (depth of field to be exact).
    I'm really confused as to what you precisely want a DSLR for video as for? Is it a case you want a bloody good still camera that can also do video? Or are you just after something for video?

If it's the latter then what is the point of having such a large, high megapixel sensor, when your not using it?

As CAT has mentioned the whole Single Lens Reflex bit is pointless.

Asside from lens characteristics, I can get better video from my Pentax Q, than you'll manage with a 650d. The main reason for this is the firmware driving it, and the sensor have it firmly in mind.

Well actually I won't get better video because I royally suck at video.

But you get my drift.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

I am puzzled. I need stills camera with shallow depth of field for portraits and small objects (narrow lens?). However, I want to be able to grab it for holidays (wide lens?). And I need to capture some full HD @ 60FPS and not to suck in low light + have manual focus if needed (obviously manual controls like shutter speed, white balance etc. too). What the heck fits the bill? Micro 4/3 like Sony Nex or Lumix "System Camera" range?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

What do you mean small objects?? Telephoto shots or macro?? For macro a fold out LCD screen is very useful. A decent viewfinder OTH is very important for telephoto shots.

It seems the Sony A65 which has the same 24MP sensor as the D3200 can shoot 60FPS at 1080P:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta65/16

It has an electronic viewfinder.

However,the 16MP sensor it replaces tended to be better in low light. The cheaper A57 has a newer version of the 16MP sensor and can also do 1080P at 60FPS.

There is one caveat though. The data rate for 60FPS shooting using AVCHD is 28MBPS as opposed to 24MBPS at 24FPS meaning lower quality. This is probably something worth checking out for even the 650D and many companies are not forthcoming about this.

In comparison Canon does also do professional video cameras too with large sensors(8.3MP and larger than 35MM frame dSLR sensors) and these do 50MBPS at 1080P if you film at 60FPS. The cheapest one is £9000+ BTW.

Thanks

Yeah, these Sony Alphas are nice. But heard they heat up a lot during extensive video shooting. How about these micro 4/3 cameras? Any experience with them? Would be ideal in terms of size and specs just haven't actually used one :/

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I had a quick scout through a couple of cameras. The Olympus OM-D E-M5 offers 60FPS at 1080i but the Sony uses 1080p. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 does the same as the Olympus and both cameras do it at 20MBPS. It does look like the Sony is the best choice for video ATM. They seem to be the only cameras which do 1080p at 60FPS.

It is a shame as the Panasonic and Olympus cameras have a very wide range of lenses including the following power zooms:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pan..._14-42_3p5-5p6

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/8/...mix_x_45-175mm

These are made for video use too. Even though I use a Sony A200 myself,I consider the Sony lens range to be somewhat more limited although TBH I am using old my old Minolta A-mount lenses on the A200 TBH(same mount).

It does not surprise me the Sony cameras have heat issues although the A57 might be better in this regard(different lower MP sensor).

Edit!!

It seems the NEX5N can also do 1080p at 60FPS:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5n/2
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 19-04-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information