Thread: News - "Massive lead" for Xbox 360, but PS3 has better games, says Sony

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - "Massive lead" for Xbox 360, but PS3 has better games, says Sony

Sony contemplates where it stands in the console war.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - "Massive lead" for Xbox 360, but PS3 has better games, says Sony

One important thing to note, however, is that the PS3 has far fewer exclusive titles than the Xbox 360, which has a multi-million dollar roster including Gears of War, Fable and Halo.
    Does it? Resistance, Killzone, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted... I'd even include Final Fantasy as the Xbox version just wasnt the same.

I'm no PS3 or Xbox fanboy. I have both and play both, but I just find that sentence... erm not true.

Thanks

I would disagree that PS3 has better games, i own both but aside from Uncharted i don't really like any other games on the PS3 and keep it purely for its ability to play Bluray's.
    Insert signature here.

Thanks

Those figures are only true for america, world-wide the gap is actually closing and Sony are selling more.
    Microsoft have now stopped even bothering to ship 360s to Japan as they weren't selling.

Game wise I think it's pretty even... unless FF13vs ends up PS3 exclusive, then I'll lean in Sony's favour.

Thanks

Just to point out the obvious flaw in this "news". This is clearly US only, where it's possible that the Xbox does indeed sell 1.6 to every 1 PS3.

However the global story is actually the reverse, it's 1.6 PS3 to every 1 Xbox.

Sony have closed the gap that Microsoft achieved from it's premature launch from 8m units to 0m over the space of the last 5 years. and that does not happen by magic. The PS3 has been outselling the Xbox significantly for a very long time in global terms.

I'm no fanboy, I have had both systems, but the PS3 is literally miles ahead in terms of platform exclusives, and quality of those exclusives, they are in a different league (Killzone, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Pixeljunk etc etc etc).

I personally feel the Xbox is end-of-life these days, sure Gears will be great, but it's been a very long time since I switched my Xbox on.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by ClashRocker View Post
    but it's been a very long time since I switched my Xbox on.
    Or, judging by your post history, since you said anything other than how great the PS3 is

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Or, judging by your post history, since you said anything other than how great the PS3 is
    Anyone that owns a PS3 knows how good it is. I don't see your point...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

I'm no fanboy, I have had both systems, but the PS3 is literally miles ahead in terms of platform exclusives, and quality of those exclusives, they are in a different league (Killzone, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Pixeljunk etc etc etc).
    I'll disagree with those first three words for a start - and the rest of that quote seems to back that assessment up.
    I'm also unconvinced that the exclusives are as mind-blowing as claimed - good, yes, but not head-and-shoulders better. Plus, alas, these days the majority of titles are multiplatform. So the whole "we've got more exclusives than you" argument is a bit moot.
    I personally feel the Xbox is end-of-life these days, sure Gears will be great, but it's been a very long time since I switched my Xbox on.
    Now I am a Sony fan (e.g. if it wasn't for the V+HD box then all my day-to-day AV kit would be Sony badged - and my mobile is a SonyEricsson), and I'll agree that the '360 is pensionable, but then again the replacement is rumoured for next year anyway. Similarly, I can't see the "PS4" being far off either - although given it's unquestioned technical superiority the PS3 has a little more life in it than it's competitor. The geek in me wanted a PS3, but the pragmatist looked at the price tag and range, and chose XBox.
    You've also got to factor in the attraction of the Kinect - even the most avid PS3 fanboi will admit that there's been a lot more advertising of the Kinect and it's titles than Move and it's ones. Okay, I'll also admit to being biased against Move - head-to-head with Kinect and Move looks pretty desperate. And that's continuing - a raft of titles (e.g. Forza4) where having Kinect takes the game play to whole new levels that I suspect Move will struggle to get even close to.
    More worryingly for Sony, there's been rumours of a Kinect firmware upgrade that'll let it be used with smaller play areas - that's the major disadvantage at the moment - that Kinect needs a living room setting, and can't be used in a typical bedroom (well, not without moving the bed etc out first). And don't try and tell me that Kinect isn't a big selling point - if so, then why are Game, Argos, etc pushing bundle deals of console+Kinect so hard?
    One important thing to note, however, is that the PS3 has far fewer exclusive titles than the Xbox 360, which has a multi-million dollar roster including Gears of War, Fable and Halo.
    I'm not going to disagree - again look at the ad spend on GoW. As games are they better than the PS3 equivalents? Probably not, but the higher profile of the XBox titles is going to pay dividends. Then again you've got the (criminally-negligent?) way that PSN was handled - only a total idiot would suggest that this debacle didn't scare off some potential customers - it was certainly a factor when I decided to trade in my PSP. Speaking to the staff in my local Game at the time, and it was clear that quite a few folks locally had gone PS3->Xbox because of the PSN issues.

Hopefully Sony's learned their lessons and "PS4" will be competitively priced and come with an online experience that's been adequately secured and reliable. I've no doubts that the new console will (again!) be technically superior to it's Microsoft rival, and (again!) leave me with a slight unease that I got the lesser device (when I invariably trade in my '360 for the new model - I've got too many XB games to switch to PS4).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Anyone that owns a PS3 knows how good it is. I don't see your point...
    I'm no fanboy
    maybe

10. Received thanks from:

watercooled (09-09-2011)

Thanks

I really don't get Kinect. I had a go on one, it was rubbish, slow and laggy and the games were all jumping and waving games. I don't see a dumbed down Forza game that's just a steering game change my opinion of Kinect. As from where I am looking it promises WAY more than in delivers. I know a handful of people with them, and the novelty had clearly worn off, as they gather dust.

My Move on the other hand, with the Sharpshooter in Killzone3 was truly amazing, and I am expecting Resistance 3 to be as good if not better.

Thanks

I really don't get Kinect. I had a go on one, it was rubbish, slow and laggy and the games were all jumping and waving games. I don't see a dumbed down Forza game that's just a steering game change my opinion of Kinect. As from where I am looking it promises WAY more than in delivers. I know a handful of people with them, and the novelty had clearly worn off, as they gather dust.

My Move on the other hand, with the Sharpshooter in Killzone3 was truly amazing, and I am expecting Resistance 3 to be as good if not better.
    It was all good up until the point you said Move 'was truly amazing'...

I don't really get what the article is saying because the quality of games is a matter of opinion and they exist only to shift units anyway. So if the Xbox is doing better then shouldn't that be as good a yardstick as any to measure which console has better software (and hardware)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    It was all good up until the point you said Move 'was truly amazing'...
    Have you played Killzone 3 with Move? If not then you have missed out.

Even the PS3 hating Joystiq said it was the best way to play the game.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/18/ki...-move-preview/

"While I don't anticipate playing Killzone 3 in 3D, I am now committed to using the Move for my first full playthrough of the game. Not only does its integration seem justified to me, but I'm sold on its improved accuracy and greater sense of immersion over the DualShock controller. Guerrilla Games has shown me that even when a game isn't expressly designed for motion controls, the experience can be heightened with PlayStation Move."

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

If you tried Kinect in a store, or shortly after launch, then I'll wholeheartedly agree with you. I got mine on pre-order (because - strangely enough - I really liked EyeToy on the PS2) and was less than impressed. However, the s/w update that came about 3-4 weeks after launch made a big difference, and I think I'm actually needing to apply the latest s/w sometime.

Similarly, you're doing the Kinect/Forza4 combo a disservice - sure you can use the K to steer with, but I can't think of a single person who's planning to do that longterm - we'll all try it at least once, and then move onto better ways of controlling. No, the 'big deal' with the K on Forza4 is firstly the "Minority Report" style controls for interacting with the car, and the "pit crew" multiplayer. Sorry to say that if you're going to argue that the former isn't cool/nerd-candy then I'm just going to laugh at you...
    Based on my experiences with the Wii, I'm going to agree with you on that - personally I think the fact that you're holding a control gives a better experience than a Kinect equivalent where you're really just gesturing. Apparently the latest Ghost Recon can do some of this, but the thought doesn't really appeal - I'd rather go 'old school' and use a decent controller. Actually, I'd prefer something like the Wii "rifle" attachment.

Again, getting back to the '360's lead (or otherwise), we're already seeing Kinect-based promotions for the Xbox, but nothing really for Move. The few Move ad's I've seen haven't exactly convinced me to rush out and get one - even at the new, affordable price - compare with the Kinect ones where you've got all these flashy "bullet time" type effects. Unless Sony UK up their game I suspect that we'll again see more '360's going into Christmas stockings than PS3's. Which, as I said in my previous post, would be a shame since the PS3 is - technically-speaking - the better machine. It's a shame that Microsoft have been (unarguably!) better at supporting their "lesser" offering.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • MakaveliThaDon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA NF 680i SLI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2 Exteme X6800 @ 3.47Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb XMS Dominator 6400 @ 1066Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 640Gb (4x160Gb SATA)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x XFX 8800GTX in SLI
      • PSU:
      • 900 Watt Tagan
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster 830 Black
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Dell LCD
      • Internet:
      • Full 8mb Orange Broadband

I have to say, having both consoles, I find the PS3 to be the preferred consoe as far as tech specs and graphics go, but the PS3 just seems to lack something next to the 360. The 360 seems to be a much more solid offering, better quality and even with the lack of a Blu-Ray player, the better media system. I've had them both for several years now, and I just feel much more comfortable using the 360, the controller is better, the cables are much better quality and the 360 is a lot quieter than my PS3 slim.

Maka

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    I have to say, having both consoles, I find the PS3 to be the preferred consoe as far as tech specs and graphics go, but the PS3 just seems to lack something next to the 360. The 360 seems to be a much more solid offering, better quality and even with the lack of a Blu-Ray player, the better media system. I've had them both for several years now, and I just feel much more comfortable using the 360, the controller is better, the cables are much better quality and the 360 is a lot quieter than my PS3 slim.
    I agree with you over the XBox controller - I think it's better too. I'm surprised however to hear that your XBox is quieter than the PS3 - it's always been common to claim the reverse. That said, I traded my XBox in for a "slim" model when it came out and the newer one is substantially quieter - especially if you're not playing a game from optical disk (but then again my XBox is on a wooden floor which tends to greatly amplify any vibration - I really need to get some form of dampening mat).

Likewise I'm also surprised to hear that you judge the XBox a superior media player to the PS3 - if anyone knows how to "do" media then you'd think it'd be Sony... (says the Sony fanboy).

Thanks

pffff ps3 has only sold the amount of consoles due to the fact it has a blu ray player. The online gaming is nowhere near as good on the ps3 as it is on the xbox. Even though you have to pay for xbox live... theres very little lag and now with the added sky go.... its just getting better and better. I cant wait for the 720 bring it on!!

Thread Information