Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News - Playstation 4 'Orbis' rumoured to feature next-gen AMD Fusion APU

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Playstation 4 'Orbis' rumoured to feature next-gen AMD Fusion APU

Multiple-sources point to 28nm AMD Fusion APU, according to psx-sense.nl.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Re: News - Playstation 4 'Orbis' rumoured to feature next-gen AMD Fusion APU

I would like it to be true as it would mean PC gaming would get much better ports . However i cant see this happening, to have an APU would likely add ~£100 if you include the ram and motherboard so thats already £400 (including the discrete card), extra like £5 for flash storage then £30 for HDD and add on the casing probably another £30 and psu? £40 with that much power needed and again you have a bluray drive ~£30... controllers another £25 each so we are looking at ~ £585 already!?

No way would sony do that with their current finances! I wish though
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • DannyM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2400
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - PC-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120GB A-Data SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB Nvidia ASUS 560Ti DirectuII
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Dell UltraSharp U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 50Mb Virgin Media Cable Broadband
    They will buy in bulk and also consider that they would integrate it all into one board so no modular hardware instantly means a savings in costs.

Sony definitely need to make a better console this time round to survive so it wouldn't surprise me if they lose money on consoles to try attract a larger audience.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:

thats the problem though Danny, MS and Sony both lose money on their consoles currently so if it was the believed that this new spec for PS4 then it would bankrupt them they would have to sell at like £150 loss per unit. even buying in bulk with those expensive items id say about £400 -£500 if its believed, way to much
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    I would like it to be true as it would mean PC gaming would get much better ports . However i cant see this happening, to have an APU would likely add ~£100 if you include the ram and motherboard so thats already £400 (including the discrete card), extra like £5 for flash storage then £30 for HDD and add on the casing probably another £30 and psu? £40 with that much power needed and again you have a bluray drive ~£30... controllers another £25 each so we are looking at ~ £585 already!?

No way would sony do that with their current finances! I wish though
    This is interesting, I read the same rumours from a different site: http://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.psx-sense.nl%2F89207%2Fexclusief-talloze-informatie-over-de-playstation-4-inclusief-specificaties%2F
    However, they specifically state that the 7970 GPU is going to be part of the APU and not a separate, discrete card. I can't see how that's physically possible in today's technology, but in 2013 I guess it's plausible, presuming AMD has some incredible tricks up its sleeve (surely it'll take more than a die shrink to pull that off)?
    That would sure as hell drive down the cost as most components would be on the Chip already. It still wouldn't be what you'd call cheap, but I can see that reaching the "console price" territory of about £300-350 and it'd seriously benefit from die shrinks down the line.

It'll be very interesting if Sony does indeed go for an x86 processor but I just can't see that happening.

6. Received thanks from:

Hicks12 (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:

thats interesting, maybe its actually a 7970M, that would certainly make it more plausible! And that would help towards temperature/power/price control, be interesting what actually it ends up as!.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    thats the problem though Danny, MS and Sony both lose money on their consoles currently so if it was the believed that this new spec for PS4 then it would bankrupt them they would have to sell at like £150 loss per unit. even buying in bulk with those expensive items id say about £400 -£500 if its believed, way to much
    Sony actually broke even on the PS3 a few years ago, though may very well now favour increased sales/lower price over hardware profit, however, you have to also factor in that not spending half a billion on investing in something like the Cell offsets a huge amount of loss in comparison to the PS3 and a gradual loss per sale of console will sit much better in the minds of shareholders than an upfront expenditure with the company in such an uncertain state.

9. Received thanks from:

Arthran (08-06-2012),Hicks12 (08-06-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
    This is interesting, I read the same rumours from a different site: http://translate.google.nl/translate...ecificaties%2F
    However, they specifically state that the 7970 GPU is going to be part of the APU and not a separate, discrete card. I can't see how that's physically possible in today's technology, but in 2013 I guess it's plausible, presuming AMD has some incredible tricks up its sleeve (surely it'll take more than a die shrink to pull that off)?
    That would sure as hell drive down the cost as most components would be on the Chip already. It still wouldn't be what you'd call cheap, but I can see that reaching the "console price" territory of about £300-350 and it'd seriously benefit from die shrinks down the line.

It'll be very interesting if Sony does indeed go for an x86 processor but I just can't see that happening.
    I thought that they state this but I can't say "specifically", it wasn't clear, they kind of mumbled over it.

Thanks
    • andrewuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X79MA-GD45
      • CPU:
      • Core i7-3930k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-2133
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial M4 SSD (OS/Apps), 5TB Seagate Enterprise HDD (Data/Games), 30TB Synology DS1813+
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX970 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG01B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BENQ XL2420T 24" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80mbps

Whatever it is, the next gen consoles can't come soon enough so PC games can move forward. Sure there are some games that take advantage of all the DX11 goodies but many are still bad/lazy DX9 ports...
    Main PC: SUGO SG01B-F | MSI X79MA-GD45 | Core i7-3930k | 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-2133 | 256GB Crucial M550 SSD (OS/Apps) | 5TB Seagate Enterprise HDD (Data/Games) | MSI GTX970 Twin Frozr | Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Server: HP 8300usdt | Core i7-2500S | 16GB Geil DDR3-1333 | 256GB Crucial M550 mSata SSD/HGST 1TB HDD | VMWare ESXi 5.5
    NAS: Synology DS1813+ | 8x5TB Seagate Enterprise HDD (30TB RAID 6)
    HTPC: Shuttle SH67H3 | Core i5-2400S| 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 | 64GB Crucial M4 SSD | XBMC with AEON NOX skin | Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Registered+
    Thanks

TAHTI XT ON A £300 CONSOLE? Impossibles.

OilSheikh

No way they would put a HD7970!
    Best I guess is HD3450 or something similar.

Thanks

They usually put in a mid range gpu rather than a high end one at the time of first build. By the time the ps4 gets here the 7970 would be old hat and rebranded as a 8870 or 9770 or something like that.
    Maybe they'll do a crossfire thing with the apu ?

Thanks
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Watercooled i7-980X @ 4.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • 240 GB Vertex2E + 2 TB of Disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Water-cooled Sapphire 7970 @ 1175/1625
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 30" 3008WFP and two Dell 24" 2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

I'm surprised people are surprised about this...

At design stage, the tech that is shortlisted for the innards of a new games console (excluding Nintendo...) is nearly always absolutely bleeding edge, with the GPU/CPU often being the generation beyond what is available commercially at the time. This means that when the console is finally released after however much (~2 years?) development time, the innards are at least top-end "current-gen". If they don't aim high at the design stage, then the console will be depressingly behind-the-times by the release date.

16. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:

Problem is back then the price... a 7800GT was $450 and is the equivalent of the 360 and ps3 gpu power (iirc?) and this 7970 is $550 maybe im wrong but if they do it by launch prices its a bit much, I would LOVE to be proved wrong as it would be a win for PC market but ive lost faith in the high end of a console, the 7800gt was mostly midrange at launch but the 7970 is top of the line high end.

2 years time then the gpu would be really out of date and we are back where we started unfortunately, i hope they started work atleast a year or two ago .

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Don't forget, if they tack a load of niche stuff on like EDRAM again then the performance isn't a known quantity depending on how dev's manipulate the hardware.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

It's all but confirmed that both Xbox3 (really don't like the 720 moniker) and PS4 will be using AMD Fusion chips of some sort, apparently at least the Xbox ones have already taped out. I'm quite surprised about the move to x86 for a number of reasons, but it makes some sense when you bear in mind ease of programming/porting. Just for code which will be very well optimised for the exact platform anyway, you'd get better power/die space efficiency with a RISC CPU, which is partly why they've been the choice for past consoles (excluding Xbox1 which was rushed to market with near off-the-shelf parts). I'd also say FPU performance, but the choosing an APU obviously alleviates that concern.

As far as I'm aware, both PS3 and Xbox360 broke even some time ago and are both selling for a profit now, largely due to die shrinks/combined CPU/GPU. This is anticipated/planned by the MFRs - they initially sell the hardware at a loss; it uses fairly advanced hardware/large dies/multiple chips/large TDP (needs better cooling), but still make a profit large margins on the games they sell. When technology allows, they shrink dies, eliminate little used/unused components, combine dies, lowering TDP in the process, so less cooling and smaller power supply.

7970? It depends on when the consoles are to be released, consoles have historically used fairly good GPUs but never top-end of even the last gen. Either way, it's not really comparable because of the massive change in architectures. Also, as Terb said consoles tend to add on various uncommon bits of hardware to improve performance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information