Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - EA: “we're going to be a 100 per cent digital company”

Thanks

Re: News - EA: “we're going to be a 100 per cent digital company”

Quote Originally Posted by Jingee View Post
    Having seen the prices that these publishers charge for digital copies of games on the Xbox Live Marketplace compared to boxed retail... I bet EA/Activision cannot WAIT to get everyone buying digital only.
    I do wonder why publishers don't push discounts on PSN and XBL like they do on Steam and GOG and others.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Zeven View Post
    I do wonder why publishers don't push discounts on PSN and XBL like they do on Steam and GOG and others.
    Just a thought - perhaps it's because XBL/PSN are effectively captive markets - the overwhelming majority of XBox/PS3 gamers join. So there's less pressure to be "aggressive" with pricing. I've never bought the digital equivalent of a boxed game on XBL simple because - as you say - the pricing is a bit ridiculous.

On the other hand Steam/GOG etc are optional services that you - as a punter - have actively sought out. Hence, I'd argue that the typical Steam user is probably more "switched on" or "price aware".

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • DaFaRsHeR's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z68XP-UD4 (OC)
      • CPU:
      • I7-2600K
      • Memory:
      • ADATA 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120gb SSD + 1.5Tb WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II (OC) X 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF922
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC i2353 IPS panel
      • Internet:
      • Orange 8Gb D/L and 1MBps Upload

If this is EA's way forward they had better get some better programmers because virtually every patch released on Origin requires a new fricking workaround to continue playing a game you already own. Buck up your ideas EA we are all fed up with contacting support to hear "Oh yeah, now you need to do X to play after the patch"!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

There goes the last deals on EA games...

I noticed Blizzard must be on the verge of doing the same.....during the D3 launch it seemed as if most shops sold out within 24 hours and then said that they couldn't get any more stock.......£23 I paid in Tesco for mine.......most people I know paid £45 for a digital copy. Absolute joke and I really hope trading standards have a few things to say about the practice soon!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks

Whilst im a massive fan of steam and digital copies have many advantages over boxed versions i cant help thinking this is all about profit for EA and another way for them to rip people off and destroy the second hand market for their games (like the xbl/ps3 online passes for many titles)

Thanks
    • pctech2012's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE H61MA-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3450 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Seagate Barracuda 500GB Sata 3GB/s
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce 550Ti 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600 Watt Gamer Series
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master 430 Elite
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S23A550H LED
      • Internet:
      • Xilo Communications 4.5 Meg ADSL2+

Then there's the bandwidth to transfer your purchase.

Quality ISPs charge for the bandwidth used by the customer (and even the main consumer names are introducing fair usage) which is how they can build and maintain excellent quality networks, games and software in general isn't getting smaller

I purchassed Portal 2 via Steam last year and it took me a good few hours to download and it was around 4/5 GB in size.

I want to install it on my all singing all dancing new system but it'll have to wait till I have some spare time.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    There goes the last deals on EA games...

I noticed Blizzard must be on the verge of doing the same.....during the D3 launch it seemed as if most shops sold out within 24 hours and then said that they couldn't get any more stock.......£23 I paid in Tesco for mine.......most people I know paid £45 for a digital copy. Absolute joke and I really hope trading standards have a few things to say about the practice soon!
    And the best part about it is, Blizzard gets 100% of the revenue from the sale, instead of the 50% or whatever from the Tesco purchase. What's irritating about it is if you want the efficient, direct sales route, you have to pay well beyond the lion's share for it. And yes, obviously the only reason they're getting away with it is because government has become uselessly soft on business malpractice, and doubling down all their prosecution energies against the people they're suppose to be representing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Registered+
    Thanks

I am one of those who still prefer to buy a boxed version for some games (very few are truly worth it however) and EA taking this route means only one thing in my opinion and that's keep on releasing trash titles that no one would ever buy boxed.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    I am one of those who still prefer to buy a boxed version for some games (very few are truly worth it however) and EA taking this route means only one thing in my opinion and that's keep on releasing trash titles that no one would ever buy boxed.
    Oh so true - so we'll see endless rehashes of Need For Speed and all those sport games.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFaRsHeR View Post
    If this is EA's way forward they had better get some better programmers because virtually every patch released on Origin requires a new fricking workaround to continue playing a game you already own. Buck up your ideas EA we are all fed up with contacting support to hear "Oh yeah, now you need to do X to play after the patch"!
    You think you've got problems - Volition are worse - pop over to the Saint's Row community and witness the vitriol hurled at them because SR3 got an update sometime this year that pretty much hosed it. So folks are trying all kinds of weird stuff - e.g. real-time priority on the exe and setting processor affinity. I've got it myself, and I just can't find any digital juju that makes it playable - unless you like you FPS' in permanent slow motion (a la 6 Million Dollar Man).
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech2012 View Post
    Then there's the bandwidth to transfer your purchase.

Quality ISPs charge for the bandwidth used by the customer (and even the main consumer names are introducing fair usage) which is how they can build and maintain excellent quality networks, games and software in general isn't getting smaller

I purchassed Portal 2 via Steam last year and it took me a good few hours to download and it was around 4/5 GB in size.
    Good point about the bandwidth and, as others have said, if you've got a bandwidth cap (I don't!) then you're going to have to "ration" your use of the net. Worse still, I'm a teleworker at the moment, so if I did have a usage cap then I'd have to be VERY careful to keep enough allocation back to ensure I could get to work!

Oh, a few hours to download 4-5GB? Not impressed - I bought Payroll-TheHeist in Steam's sale last week and that's a gig-and-a-half - which I got in about 35 minutes (VM cable if you're interested, and that was about 8pm I did that).

Don't know about other people, but I still like to have a boxed set for full price titles - preferring to leave Origin, Steam, etc for the older titles (at a discount of course). I cannot see ANY reason why I should pay the same price as a boxed set for a digital download.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

It started with DRM and this is the inevitable direction of "progress". You pay for no tangible asset and no ability to recoup the outlay through resale. I will never buy a game download that I cannot make a copy of should I wish to rebuild my machine and reinstall it. Physical disc all the way. I will also never buy anything with obtrusive DRM (ubisoft) and only buy the game once its price has dropped to a sensible level £15 max. Yes, I wait for a bit to get the latest title, and it's a bit old once I get there, but I can't honestly say it bothers me. And with the crappy net connection I have right now, MP simply isn't an option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information