• Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW
      • Internet:
      • 24Mbps ADSL

Re: News - EU rules that users can resell digital downloaded games

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1 View Post
    I guess the depreciation over time can come from technological advancement, rather than the product actually degrading.
    Exactly. Games (and movies, etc.) generally make most of their revenue within the initial release period, so it's not like only one person has to buy the game new then everyone else can just buy it second hand from each other, one after the other (ridiculous example to illustrate the point). So although a digital copy of a game won't physically degrade like a boxed game or a car or whatever, the game might still be six months old by the time you're purchasing it second hand so it has in effect lost part of its value still. Not only that but the reselling of games does potentially allow those buying new games to buy more of them and more often, which could offset some of the publishers' losses.

Thanks
    • TaintedShirt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • 4*4 gig Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 240GB and 3.5TB Samsung Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1000
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ07B
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 accessed using my lovely Filco brown key
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241WZ
      • Internet:
      • 4meg of slowness increased to 5meg nice Billion 7800N

Where the copyright holder makes available to his customer a copy – tangible or intangible – and at the same time concludes, in return form payment of a fee, a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period, that rightholder sells the copy to the customer and thus exhausts his exclusive distribution right.
    [my bold]

Guys I think you may have missed something. I'm not sure and I'm no lawyer so bear with me.

I haven't read the full judgement but the article quotes that the customer has to have been granted right to use that copy for an "unlimited period". If the game is purely offline then what you all say is more than likely true.
    However, if the game is online or uses the net maybe played on servers they control then they can always state that the game is only able to be used while they support the servers i.e. not an unlimited time period so the judgement will not affect them.

Any bets on what game dev's will do next?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Green Man Gaming already gives you trade ins for certain games.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Malphas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator 16GB (4x4GB)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB and a bunch of hard drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-6B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW
      • Internet:
      • 24Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Well as already mentioned, the car industry both gets continually paid through service parts/franchises and has a high enough initial cost of cars to make the business profitable in the long run.
    The service/parts issue is an aside, there are plenty other second hand markets (e.g. furniture, clothes) where the manufacturer doesn't continue to make money. And the initial cost is a chicken and egg issue, if digital game downloads were subject to the same market forces as cars then the initial price would adjust accordingly also. Probably wouldn't need to increase as much as you might think though, considering cars cost materials and labour for every unit sold, in addition to the cost of develop (design, engineer, test) and market the product. Digital distribution on the other hand has costs close to zero and almost 100% margin per unit, with almost the entirety of costs being development and marketing. Not only that but - again like the car industry - the second hand market could influence first sales, with consumers more likely to buy more games with the knowledge and increased disposable income that comes from being able to sell them later - as is already the case with boxed console games.

The car/other physical goods analogy actually works fine even when discussing resell of intellectual property.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    That would never work, how many people are going to keep a game if they've played it through? It would be effectively selling the game at (initial price) - (2nd hand price). Each person would only in effect pay a few pounds for having played the game rather than £30+. You'd have to hugely increase sales for that to pay for itself...
    Good games do tend to get held onto - I've heard it said that Bulletstorm (for example) can be completed quickly, however it's got definite "replay value" to see if there's higher scoring ways to complete or the "what happens if I do X?" factor.

Granted that won't happen with your typical "on rails" beat-em-up or any movie tie in (or - for that matter pretty much all of the current crop of Olympic bandwaggon fodder).

I also didn't say how much EA etc would offer - I would assume a sliding scale - so if you sold BF4 in the first month then perhaps you'd get £15 back, second month £12, third £10, etc. It also wouldn't prevent EA turning around and selling the license they just "reclaimed" at a good profit - since there's obviously no difference between a new and used digital download.

Yes, it would mean that game prices would have to rise - but even something as simple as pricing digital the same as real would be enough - perhaps the savings in not having to produce and ship disks, manuals, etc would cover the shortfall?

I'm sure that there's folks in the publishers looking very closely at this at the moment...

Just as long as they don't come up with a subscription-based "pay to play" model. In which case Just Cause 2 and COD:2/4 would be costing me a mint!

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information