• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Re: News - Demonoid BitTorrent site removed, another one bites the dust

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    I admit I am reading in to this a little - but isn't that what everyone who is saying "it's OK to pirate" is saying?

Isn't that the only way the "it's OK to pirate stuff" argument works? I'm probably losing it a bit now (should turn off email notification!) but I can't see how anyone can say:

"Yes artists should charge for their work, but it's my own choice whether I pay them when I consume their content".

And then claim that it's justifiable and doesn't take money directly out of their pockets.

Chuckskull - agreed and apologies if any of my posts appeared that way!
    I think the problem is that you are trying to encase the problem in such a small frame, I don't think anyone is against artists earning a living and being pro piracy doesn't necessarily imply that either. The way in which the industry operates does not benefit consumers or artists and consumers are deciding to rebel in various ways, one of them being piracy. It's not as simple as people deciding they deserve something for free or that they think artists don't deserve any income. Trying to simplify the situation only takes you further from the truth.

The internet offers a unique opportunity to bridge the gap between artists and consumers but studios and labels will loose out as a result which they are trying to prevent; I feel that is the battle that is being fought and while there may be easily defined sides the motives for being on either side have much more variety for each person you may talk to.

As evident by the oatmeal comic linked below, piracy solves a problem consumers have, one which content owners could solve themselves but are unwilling to. If such problems weren't apparent I'd agree with you that pirates are no good leeches but considering the situation there is little reason for me to agree with that view at the moment.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl View Post
    As evident by the oatmeal comic linked below, piracy solves a problem consumers have, one which content owners could solve themselves but are unwilling to. If such problems weren't apparent I'd agree with you that pirates are no good leeches but considering the situation there is little reason for me to agree with that view at the moment.
    Understood and agreed on this general point - it was discussed a few pages back around the reasons for piracy, and I understand that many people pirate because they have no other way to get the content - and thats unrelated to their own money or personal situation. It's just not available or if it is, it's expensive and often doesn't work due to DRM etc. The frustration drives people that way.

It's very important to realise that this isn't a justification though, and that is a very subtle point to make. On one level I would have no problem with people pirating for the above reason (or others that are related) - but as long as it's recognised that it is wrong, that it is piracy/copyright infringement, and that it is a case of acquiring the content without paying the content creator. This might be their own fault to some degree, but it doesn't make it any less "wrong".

On top of that I think that modern culture is a bit part of the problem here - we all want all our content "NOW" - not in 2 months when the blu-ray is released, but we want it right now. If it's not available then we'll just go and pirate it, because it's easy, there are no adverts, no DRM, no money to spend, no trip to the shops or months waiting for a delivery, we can have it within a few minutes.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    On top of that I think that modern culture is a bit part of the problem here - we all want all our content "NOW" - not in 2 months when the blu-ray is released, but we want it right now. If it's not available then we'll just go and pirate it, because it's easy, there are no adverts, no DRM, no money to spend, no trip to the shops or months waiting for a delivery, we can have it within a few minutes.
    That's true but it is technically feasible to expect that so I don't see that as a worthwhile hassle for consumers to put up with.

I don't wish to justify the way things are or the behaviour that results from it but what we can all agree on is that things must change. The gaming industry has begun to take a new approach and it is benefiting from doing so, I would like to think the same will happen with other media but all I see is feet being dragged and a finger being pointed at piracy which only hides the real problem. Piracy and the industries loss of revenue stem from the same cause, not catering to the consumers needs, and debating the morality of piracy only fuels a fire that is poised to make things worse.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information