Thread: News - Touch editing in Office Web Apps on Windows 8 and iOS

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Touch editing in Office Web Apps on Windows 8 and iOS

Microsoft Office Blog details new touch interface enhancements.
    Read more.

OilSheikh

Re: News - Touch editing in Office Web Apps on Windows 8 and iOS

Excel should be fun with touch-typing! ...........NOT!

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    Excel should be fun with touch-typing! ...........NOT!
    Is anything fun with touch keyboards? For me it is the biggest deal breaker on attempting to use tablets for anything productive, I really don't understand all the masochists who seem to think un-extended iPads and keyboard-less Android tablets are anything other than content consumption devices. I find it a chore even sending a Facebook message, SMS has become something I can't be arsed with with since phones went all touchy and I find online shopping vastly easier on a laptop or greater. Without a proper keyboard then tablets = movies, reading, simple puzzle games. End of list.

Even with a keyboard attached to a tablet I'd still rather have my laptop. It has a trackpad or USB mouse, much better - so much more precise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Is anything fun with touch keyboards? For me it is the biggest deal breaker on attempting to use tablets for anything productive, I really don't understand all the masochists who seem to think un-extended iPads and keyboard-less Android tablets are anything other than content consumption devices. I find it a chore even sending a Facebook message, SMS has become something I can't be arsed with with since phones went all touchy and I find online shopping vastly easier on a laptop or greater. Without a proper keyboard then tablets = movies, reading, simple puzzle games. End of list.

Even with a keyboard attached to a tablet I'd still rather have my laptop. It has a trackpad or USB mouse, much better - so much more precise.
    Couldn't. Agree. More. Texting on my Nexus S with SwiftKey is still less intuitive than my ancient Sony dumb phone. Even simple web browsing is often painful on my tablet. I have a friend who claims to get a lot of productive work done on his ipad. I want whatever the fvck he's smoking...

Thanks
    • cameronlite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Twin Frozr AMD 5850 1GB
      • PSU:
      • XILENCE 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li P50r AMD Limited Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Professional 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 243W 24", HP LA2405 24", Dell 2405 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin - 30Mb

You guys will have to just buy a surface then seeing as it's cover is also a keyboard and trackpad!
    Currently studying: Electronic Engineering and Artificial Intelligence at the University of Southampton.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by cameronlite View Post
    You guys will have to just buy a surface then seeing as it's cover is also a keyboard and trackpad!
    Or just get an ASUS transformer which has had a trackpad since release? Android supports mouse/trackpads really well.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    For me it is the biggest deal breaker on attempting to use tablets for anything productive, I really don't understand all the masochists who seem to think un-extended iPads and keyboard-less Android tablets are anything other than content consumption devices.

My old Asus Transformer has a trackpad and "proper" keyboard too - and it's a no-brainer "plug in and go" operation. (And I can use shift select, and ^C/^V key combos). But I agree with you about the utility of tablets - it'd take a lot of argument to convince me that Asus didn't get the Transformer right and that iPad etc are only "half way there".

I'm kind of ambivalent about the Microsoft Surface - I think MUI/Metro will work well on a large screen - but some of the product shots seem to show that the keyboard is one of those nasty rubber membrane ones (Sinclair Spectrum?), and the keyboard has the same problems as similar ones for iPad/'droid - no expansion ports and it's a further drain on the main battery.

Speaking of Android - anyone know if this web apps will work with something on Android? I would have thought so given that it's on Windows8 and iOS apparently.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    Or just get an ASUS transformer which has had a trackpad since release? Android supports mouse/trackpads really well.
    Yes I could but for the cost of the Transformer Keyboard combo I could just about buy a proper Windows machine, I know which one I'd rather have. I spent ~£500 on my very unsexy Dell M101z about 2 years ago, it's still going strong, I'm willing to live with the shorter battery and extra weight for something so much more useful to me :-)

I am quite keen on Surface Pro, with the thicker 'proper' keyboard option... I will definitely go play with one when they arrive.

Thread Information