• Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: News - Ubisoft says PC games piracy rate is about 95 per cent

Quote Originally Posted by funke_munke View Post
    Highly debatable on the quality front. Check out various reviews around the net to get a general consensus. ALSO do you know the full story behind the creation of this game? It made gaming news headlines. I'm pretty sure there's some kind of fraud investigation going in to the amount of money borrowed to create it. It's not even as if it got great reviews. Plus, despite this, didn't it sell more than a million copies?

Oh I'm reading an article where the devs are quoted as saying it needed to sell 3m just to break even... On a new IP... Not the best example there dude.
    Yes I know all about the full story:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...asutra+News%29
    http://news.providencejournal.com/br...ting-schi.html

Precisely why government backed games development is a bad thing. But to avoid that we need more gamers buying games so studios don't have to go running to governments.

But that controversy is over Project Copernicus, a big budget MMORPG. Reckoning doesn't really tie into that.

Kingdoms of Amalur is absolutely a quality game, and one of the more polished PC games out there. Sure, the pacing is a little off, mainly because they tried to provide too much value for money, but it's still a wonderful game.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

It's maybe slightly off topic, but I can't help wondering if the combination of the greed of the publishers, (the "oh no, we're being ripped off by software pirates!" excuse being usually a precursor to something nasty - like vicious DRM), and the poor quality of the titles available, (many posts above refer to "console ports"), isn't going to make older titles look increasingly more attractive.

For example, Just Cause 2 (a title used by Hexus for graphics benchmarking) apparently is just about to get a mod that allows massive multiplayer - i.e. 1000+ on one map. (http://www.jc-mp.com/ claims 1800!). It's currently in the Steam "weekend" sale and last night I got the game and all the DLC for the princely sum of £5.18. (And I got the 4GB+ download in 15 minutes - thanks VM!). Sure, it's not exactly a chess-like brainteaser of a game - but if the current crop of £30+ "modern" titles are to be labelled "console ports" then something like JC2 isn't going to suffer too much in comparison.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Reading all these comments i'm surprised Free to Play is quite so hated. Most are rip offs and I don't play them but I've really enjoyed World of tanks (and looking forward to WO Aircraft/Battleships). The reason why is the game takes skill. Sure you can a high end tank and spend money doing it up but at the end of the day if you can't play the game you still fail. Personally I've only spent £16 on it and don't plan to spend that much more. I've spent far more money on a boxed game and gotten a lot less enjoyment out of it (as you can see in my raptr profile below).

Just going back to the story - This must be rubbish. As an ex-pirate (Use to do it when I was ~17-21 in the late 1990s and a student) I buy all my games now (And I binned the pirated copies!) - even more than when I use to pirate. I suspect this is just typical stats massaging....
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

OilSheikh

Cool Re: News - Ubisoft says PC games piracy rate is about 95 per cent

The Publishers are soley to blame for the way the PC gaming market is today.

There's just too much hassle involved with buying a PC game.
    You have a reinstall limit on the same PC where all your hardware needs to be the same ( 10 for Steam ) or a reinstall limit on a different PC, as in where you hardware has changed ( 5 for Steam ). Then, you have to create an online account with the developer and your CD key is tied to this account. If you want to sell your game, you need to give up your account. Most people create a different account just for this.
    And, because of the nature of Windows OS, there's compatibility issues with hardware, drivers, OS, DirectX and everyone's different hardware and software combinations causing game crashes, dll errors, etc.
    Piracy is also to blame. Ubisoft's always on internet connection feature should be improved.
    All these makes re-selling a PC game pretty difficult. I am the type of game who finishes a game in a week ( some finish in hours! ). What am I supposed to do after this ? Have a £30 paperweight ?
    Console games are re-saleable and I tend to incline towards the console variant of a multiplayer game. Maybe, Publishers should include a feature that if you have the game on a console, you can download it for free on a PC. I bought each of the Assassin Creed games for my PS3 , but the graphics were bad and I got the games for PC, graphics were soooo much better. Had I continued playing AC on PS3, I would have quit within a few hours and binned the series.

Then, there's the shameless console ports where graphics and controls are badly done for PC.

DLC's dont help either. DLC's were meant to be add-ons/expansion packs to make the game last longer. But, now developers finish making a game and then chop off bits according to what they see fit as saleable in the future as DLC's. There's also pre-order FREE DLC's to trick you into buying the game at the initial high prices.

Demos do need to come back. How hard can it be to chop off all the rest of the levels of a game ? Just tell the in the code to exit the game once level exit is finished?

Console gaming is doomed and I can see AMD and NVIDIA making and selling their own games in the future just so that their graphics cards can be sold.
    Last edited by OilSheikh; 24-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    The Developers are soley to blame for the way the PC gaming market is today.
    No my dear OilSheikh

I've worked with a few devs over the years on various projects and the devs are the good guys. They are gamers, they know how the system works.

The publishers on the other hand are the ones you have to watch. They're the ones who normally force the DRM
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    No my dear OilSheikh

I've worked with a few devs over the years on various projects and the devs are the good guys. They are gamers, they know how the system works.

The publishers on the other hand are the ones you have to watch. They're the ones who normally force the DRM
    Yes, thats what I was trying to mean. Wrong word used, Will go back and change the wording.

Thanks
    • funke_munke's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600k + Noctua NH-U12F @ stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz low profile 1.35v @ stock
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Crucial M4 SSD + 3TB WD Red + Backup drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w HX
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700d
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Samsung 226bw

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Yes I know all about the full story:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...asutra+News%29
    http://news.providencejournal.com/br...ting-schi.html

Precisely why government backed games development is a bad thing. But to avoid that we need more gamers buying games so studios don't have to go running to governments.

But that controversy is over Project Copernicus, a big budget MMORPG. Reckoning doesn't really tie into that.

Kingdoms of Amalur is absolutely a quality game, and one of the more polished PC games out there. Sure, the pacing is a little off, mainly because they tried to provide too much value for money, but it's still a wonderful game.
    The money was badly spent on Reckoning. Five million? Really? Theres even half a penny arcade episode dedicated to how ridiculous that level of spending was. Can only imagine what they were up to with their other project. Making a game that needs to sell 3m to break even is idiotic, surely you agree?

You're right about government and games development though.

Oh and also here is an article from torrentfreak that more or less proves Yves is talking out of his behind:

http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-...f-2011-111230/

Although it can't account for all download sources, this will cover the vast majority. 4m was the highest. By Yves calculations KoA should have been pirated 24.7 million times at least. He's just wrong.
    "I Don't mind Lobster. It's like you could, you know... Punch... A lobster. I wouldn't eat anything I couldn't punch"

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by funke_munke View Post
    The money was badly spent on Reckoning. Five million? Really?
    Five million is cheap for an AAA game. They needed to sell 2m units to continue paying the bills they were racking up on copernicus, they sold 1.3m.

Odd employment requirements in their contract to - they had to hire x amount of people, and the number increased over time.

Very good summary article here:
    http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articl...dios-end-game/

But not sure why you've linked a torrent freak article? I brought up reckoning as an example of how demos can be bad things:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-game-dev-vows

"The thing that's really hurtful for us is they actually introduced some new bugs in the demo that weren't even in the game when it branched," Frazier said.

Dialogue skipping is "not technically a bug", Frazier explained. "What they're seeing is the VO just isn't there. The big challenge for this demo was the game is frickin' huge so trying to get the download size down to something reasonable was a real challenge for the group that was working on it.
    Last edited by kalniel; 24-08-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks

Hm is this the same Ubisoft who has been accepting Nvidia's bribe money to hobble AMD cards for years? Why yes it is! If any company deserves their games to be pirated it's this mob.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo75 View Post
    Hm is this the same Ubisoft who has been accepting Nvidia's bribe money to hobble AMD cards for years? Why yes it is! If any company deserves their games to be pirated it's this mob.
    Piracy is no worse for Ubisoft that it is for most other companies to be honest. I already provided the link earlier for the 90% rate of World of Goo, which has absolutely no justification for being pirated, as it was even DRM free and you chose how much you paid for it!

Much as I despite vendor lock in (yes, borderlands 2, I'm looking at you now and won't buy or play your game for some time), it doesn't excuse playing the game without paying for it. Just don't play it if you don't agree with it.

Thanks

The biggest problem is, they haven't moved with the times fast enough. Look at the success of Diablo III even though people cried long and loud about it being online. Ubisoft and others have been going about it half arsed for too long.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo75 View Post
    The biggest problem is, they haven't moved with the times fast enough. Look at the success of Diablo III even though people cried long and loud about it being online. Ubisoft and others have been going about it half arsed for too long.
    Didn't Ubi try always-on connection before Blizzard did? They've got rather more in common than other companies.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

While it is slightly misguided, I can understand the mindset of people pirating because they feel the game isn't worth the cost to them, for whatever reasons. I have even done it myself....and probably will with FIFA 13 next month. 2 Years in a row I've bought the game and reported major bugs that have never been fixed and they refuse to release player/team updates to previous years releases, leaving me with very few options to get an up-to-date football fix this season while voting with my wallet.

Publishers also need to realise that games with no/limited replay value that take only a handful of hours to complete should not cost £40+

Perhaps we are at a tipping point, there is a lot happening in the games industry at the moment and the landscape is changing.......let's hope the new market that emerges is better then the old one.........I just hope they start trimming fat and streamline the whole industry....there appears to be too much overhead for my liking when something as successful as the COD franchise starts trying to leverage £100+ from each gamer for a single re-skinned title each year which has received minimal development time........
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

14. Received thanks from:

Thanks

Yes but like I said they went about it in a half arsed manner that just really annoyed people no end, then eventually it was removed.

I basically don't believe their numbers anyway. If 95% of people playing their games are pirating them, they'd make double the money by slashing the price to 10% and forcing people to log on - surely nobody could complain due to the price? Even if those numbers are close to reality, I very much doubt that the people pirating the games would want to pay for most of them anyway - I think a lot of people just do this because it's "free" and they wouldn't pay if they had to, regardless of price. A lot of these people probably don't even play the game, or play it for 10 minutes then delete it.

The games companies need to concentrate on the paying market instead of the pirates who won't pay even if they have to. This is what they just aren't understanding - these people will not pay for their games regardless so they aren't "losing" anything except genuine customers who get more pissed off with DRM each new game. I basically only play MMO's now, and the odd cheap game I get on Steam.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    .and probably will with FIFA 13 next month. 2 Years in a row I've bought the game and reported major bugs that have never been fixed and they refuse to release player/team updates to previous years releases, leaving me with very few options to get an up-to-date football fix this season while voting with my wallet.
    Why don't you just not play it? Do you value yourself so poorly that you'd waste your time on a game you wouldn't pay £35 for however many hours gaming?

If it's still worth your time playing then they're going to keep making dross.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • RonanH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500K @4.5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair 1866
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX200 + Several HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gtx 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24' 144hz
      • Internet:
      • 240mnps

it's pretty easy to guesstimate piracy levels, just compare downloads of your recently released title from the major torrent and usenet sites to retail sales. Won't be accurate but it will give a good indication.

Personally I've both bought and downloaded the same game due to DRM. If a game keeps requiring me to jump through hoops to play it, I'll download a DRM free copy. I hate having to keep a DVD in a drive to play a game, the dvd drive is the noisiest part of any pc and I hate the ruckus. If I can remove that noise and hassle by downloading a crack or cracked game, I will and I don't feel at all guilty about it as I have already paid for the game.

For me I don't mind paying for a game. The company must be paid for their work, what annoys me is when the processes they insert into that paid for game interfere with my enjoyment of the game. DRM has been proven to be useless for single player games, the pirates always get around it, I can't understand why they continue using it and annoying their paying customers.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information