Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Apple requests permission to expand court case to GALAXY S III

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple requests permission to expand court case to GALAXY S III

Despite distancing itself away from the Apple image, Samsung's GALAXY S III isn't safe.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Apple requests permission to expand court case to GALAXY S III

absolutely stupid - If no judge has the stones to stand up to this idiotic behaviour I can see future product choices for the consumer being defined by which dated device was able to avoid getting banned. These companies have become too big and too powerful and they need chopping down to size before they start setting laws about what we can and cannot buy!

Technojunkie
    Thanks

The court won't penalise apple for attempting it though, so they have nothing to lose from that POV.
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Ditched my last apple product this week. Looking forward to lots of Samsung purchases. I won't support this type of behaviour.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Samsung and other Android makers should just leave the US alone and let them have a Apple only culture. The the fact the US courts are entertaining Apple's wishes and siding with them just shows that this won't end until Apple is dominant. Screw the Americans, let them be ripped off with Apple products if they are going to be complete trats ..

Registered+
    Thanks

I wonder how many of the jury are Apple share holders....

If I were Samsung, I'd tell Apple to go get it's screens and other stuff elsewhere as soon as the contract runs out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobfoc View Post

If I were Samsung, I'd tell Apple to go get it's screens and other stuff elsewhere as soon as the contract runs out.
    Although this would also cost Samsung a lot of money and unless the components are based on Samsung-held patents, would cause a temporary disruption to apple while they found another supplier. Similarly, charging apple more for the components would short-term make money but long-term encourage them to switch supplier.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Over on this side of the pond, patents like Slide-to-Unlock have already been well and truly invalidated, in a case Apple launched against HTC, with clear proof of a prior implementation and, failing that, we suspect absurd simplicity may have been a consideration for the courts. In the US, however, these patents still pack a lot of punch; often US court will not take into account prior implementations/art from areas outside of the States.
    Seriously? I thought "prior art" wasn't limited by geography - or are the US courts so xenophobic/isolationist these days that they can't see further than the 50 states? FFS, use some common sense! Oh, and patenting something for which clear prior art exists elsewhere demonstrates a clear lack of business morals/ethics.
    This quote from the Foreman indicates that the jury dismissed Samsung prior-art demonstrations such as DiamondTouch, for reasons such as the system using a projector instead of a display or that the touch software wouldn't recompile onto an iPhone.
    Hmm, where did they get this idiot from? Perhaps they would have been better served by someone with less technical knowledge - the old cliche of "a little knowledge being a dangerous thing" obviously applies here. Apart from anything else I thought patents applied to a way of doing something, not a particular implementation. Heck, if that was the case then how come Samsung lost - after all surely iOS wouldn't recompile onto a Galaxy S2, so by the same yardstick they're distinct implementations!

Surely Samsung have a pretty strong case for appeal on the basis of mistrial?

Oh, and I'm not so sure about Google's "intimidation" - as the article itself says, a lot of what Apple's bitching about is Android itself, so if you're faced with an unreasonable bully surely the only way to get some sense into the situation is to produce a bigger threat. If in the (very unlikely) event that they get Apple to see sense then as far as I'm concerned they (Google) can go in all guns blazing.

I'm beginning to think that the US legal system - and especially the patent-related bit - was designed by a cadre of village idiots, (or the dregs of the B Ark if you're a Douglas Adams fan).
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    Samsung and other Android makers should just leave the US alone and let them have a Apple only culture. The the fact the US courts are entertaining Apple's wishes and siding with them just shows that this won't end until Apple is dominant.
    I'm sure that there's folks in Samsung who are considering this - after all you've also got that CDMA nonsense to contend with, so surely it's a (needlessly?) expensive market. It'll be interesting to see how Motorola's case against Apple fares - after all, that's two US companies, so 'home advantage' doesn't figure. And I'd also be interested to understand how the US carriers view this - after all with Samsung potentially out of the way, doesn't that give Apple even more of a "whip hand" than they reputedly do at the moment?

Personally though, I'm not going to get too agitated - after all I'm lucky enough to live in a country that (demonstrably!) has a less moronic legal system. In which case I'm going to continue to enjoy my S3, and also look to ditch my remaining Apple products.
    Last edited by crossy; 03-09-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

9. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

I don't care how good Apple products are I just won't buy any on principle (even if they were cheap as chips).
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks

Apologies for diving off topic but it does seem related. I know there are many reasons why this isn't necessarily an 'American courts favouring American company' situiation but seeing as this is now reguilarly being bandied about on this and many other forums - anyone know at what point this officially becomes US protectionism by stealth and if so, if the WTC could get involved and what they might be able to do?

Thanks

Also - re: the iPad mini article (but posted here to avoid crudding up another thread with the patent-related stuff)

If Samsung were to win a patent case in the Chinese courts* and get the iPad etc blocked from China... (okay - so they'd still get them as they 'fell off the back of a factory' but without official sales, that'd have to hurt).

*I'm aware of the irony of this, but wouldn't it be a glorious moment when a Chinese diplomat got to hold up the banning of Apple products as evidence of their commitment to IP/copyright protection that the US has been slating them for for so long.

13. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    • Pleiades's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z-97 Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • 4690K @ 4GHz / Phanteks TC-12DX
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 480GiB; Transcend M.2 256GiB; Velociraptor 300GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GiB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 800w
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF932
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5" WQHD 144Hz; Samsung 49" 9500 HDR UHD TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100 Mibs

Thumbs up Re: News - Apple requests permission to expand court case to GALAXY S III

Quote Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post

If Samsung were to win a patent case in the Chinese courts* and get the iPad etc blocked from China... (okay - so they'd still get them as they 'fell off the back of a factory' but without official sales, that'd have to hurt).

*I'm aware of the irony of this, but wouldn't it be a glorious moment when a Chinese diplomat got to hold up the banning of Apple products as evidence of their commitment to IP/copyright protection that the US has been slating them for for so long.
    That'd be awesome

Thanks

The us patent system is simple.

It's not a matter of he who comes up with an idea, then develops a devices that implements said idea.
    But he who thinks to patent the idea first no matter how widespread the technology is in the first place.

I still think there should be an exponential cost based on number of patents held at the parent company level (to stop apple creating off shoot patent only companies).

There should also be a maintenance fee based on how many of these patents are held.
    Apple might change there mind about patenting everything under the sun if they have to start forking out $1bn a year in patent fee's.

It would make the us gov' a tidy sum and help out their budget deficit as well.

This sort of thing is already in place in the uk, though perhaps it goes a bit too far as I recall dyson had to surrender his original patent on the bagless vacuum concept because the costs out weighed the competitive advantage.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

I pretty much posted the same as you Crossy its silly http://forums.hexus.net/general-disc...es-jury-8.html

The whole reason they won was that the guy with this patent "knowledge" screwed the court when he didnt understand it himself! Prior art is acceptable and he should have bloody listened, instead of coming up with a silly idea that he could defend Apple with a different point of view and then let Apple attack Samsung with a different one .

Madness! And adding the S3 and tablets is certainly all his fault cause now Apple know hes a complete tool and will do their bidding.

Cant wait for America to get slapped by someone at some point, their patent office needs a complete rebuild.

Now another thing I have to ask is if I understand it correctly, I am no real expert or anything (merely reading headlines and some reports) on patents but my understanding is a patent is a design which is normally hardware but can be software, and then you have copywrite which is for protecting creative works, so why has Apple been able to kick off that Samsung copied their icons in a patent case when its meant to be copywrite? Or have I totally got confused ?
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Godric's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8 Z77-v- Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570K @ 3.4 ghz
      • Memory:
      • G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD + 2TB sata 2 W/D drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 6850 Toxic Edition 1GB GDDR5 (retail)
      • PSU:
      • 550 watt Be Quiet Dark Power Pro
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cosmos 1000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" Led
      • Internet:
      • BT Openworld

Quote Originally Posted by bobfoc View Post

it does not matter if Apple were the last mobile phone maker ... i still wouldn't by their c*appy hardware ... they are even bigger bullies than microsoft and Intel ever were

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 860 @ 3.58GHz (Megahalems + Apache)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Intel X25-M + bunch of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1110 (bit disappointing)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    Samsung and other Android makers should just leave the US alone and let them have a Apple only culture.
    A bit unfair on the many Americans who DON'T want Apple products, though! There is clearly a market for Galaxy units in the States, so clearly not all of them are sheeple...

The real solution is to overturn this cretinous decision, fine Apple a vast sum (certainly more than $1bn) for its disgusting behaviour and hear no more of these unfathomably stupid lawsuits from any party.

But they won't do that, because it's far too much like common sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information