Thread: News - Apple to rely less upon Samsung for iPhone memory

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple to rely less upon Samsung for iPhone memory

First batch of iPhone 5 smartphones won’t use Samsung memory chips?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Apple to rely less upon Samsung for iPhone memory

It sickens me to watch these two fighting. Especially Apple. I have SGS3 at the moment, previously was playing with iPod Touch (iPhone has added cell functions and slightly different hardware but essentially same OS) latest gen. Both very unique and capable devices BUT few things are lost. I do drive and I do need a decent navigation even when I am on foot walking away on holidays. iOS and Android are rubbish compared to Nokia Maps in my opinion. I have been using Nokia maps since Symbian and they are always spot on.
    Long story short am selling my SGS3 for Nokia 610 (that's right) that I can get for €100 with Jabra <something> 2 bluetooth in-car hands-free. No contract. Not only I get Windows 7.5 mobile OS and decent enough device but on top of that - best navigation on phone and decent MS Office file support. I have high hopes for Nokia. I hope some people that only toy around with their phones will wake up and will give it a go too. Had Nokia Lumia 800 few months back - a bit dull looking compared to Android and iOS but very functional and fast.

Thanks

I wish Samsung could take the hit of just stopping all fabrication for Apple, but it doesn't appear they can, otherwise it would have happened :\

Thanks

I'm with brasco...but again can't see it happening
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brasco View Post
    I wish Samsung could take the hit of just stopping all fabrication for Apple, but it doesn't appear they can, otherwise it would have happened :\
    Contracts contracts... oh it would probably be seen as some kind of malicious anti-competitive behaviour and result in more legal crap.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

It has to be a bit of both really. As mentioned in the article A lot of people are going to want IP5 and you dont want all your eggs in one basket... especially when the basket has spikes (i.e. is holding a grudge).
    Il be interested to see, if there is a mix of memory manufacturers, if there is a difference is speed/quality/performance between devices.

It would also be interesting to find out if apple are beginning to think about alternative CPU manufacturers. Im sure there are a number of companies who would love to get involved.
    I cant help thinking that pressure from apple for samsung to create the best performing chips has benefited them aswell, and if they did change to another supplier perhaps the whole android side of the market could change too?

Quote Originally Posted by edvinasm View Post
    It sickens me to watch these two fighting. Especially Apple. I have SGS3 at the moment, previously was playing with iPod Touch (iPhone has added cell functions and slightly different hardware but essentially same OS) latest gen. Both very unique and capable devices BUT few things are lost. I do drive and I do need a decent navigation even when I am on foot walking away on holidays. iOS and Android are rubbish compared to Nokia Maps in my opinion. I have been using Nokia maps since Symbian and they are always spot on.
    Long story short am selling my SGS3 for Nokia 610 (that's right) that I can get for €100 with Jabra <something> 2 bluetooth in-car hands-free. No contract. Not only I get Windows 7.5 mobile OS and decent enough device but on top of that - best navigation on phone and decent MS Office file support. I have high hopes for Nokia. I hope some people that only toy around with their phones will wake up and will give it a go too. Had Nokia Lumia 800 few months back - a bit dull looking compared to Android and iOS but very functional and fast.
    Nokia maps was very very good, however i have to say Navigation on android has improved recently and they do seem to be spending time on making it better.

I think I might have to at least consider a Nokia when im next up for renewal... in 2 years... but who knows what might happen in that time

Thanks
    • McPhee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8H67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Crucial DDR3-1033
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Kingston SSDNow V2+
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX460
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" Samsung 941BW
      • Internet:
      • 1Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by brasco View Post
    There's three problems there;

1. The law suits are the problem of a different division of Samsung than the one that manufactures parts for Apple. There's no way the manufacturing side of the business is going to willingly lose hundreds of millions of dollars (or, likely, billions) of income. The order would have to come from the top, and even then it would likely meet much resistance (people throughout the business unable to meet their targets due to the termination of one of Samsung's biggest contracts).

2. They likely can't just stop without further legal issues.

3. Apple will just go to one of Samsung's competitors and have them make the parts instead, so while Apple might lose a few weeks of revenue as supply runs low, they aren't likely to suffer as much in the long run as Samsung would.

Thanks

hi i'm new so feel free to slap me down, but with the vast resourses (admittedly nowhere near as vast as apple) at samsungs desposal i'd take the hit. i think it's too late now but if they'd refused shipment for the ip5 and rumoured mini ipad, with sales of ip4 are in decline as the design is basically 2 years old and people are awaiting a new design, apple are vulnerable.

imagine they just refused delivery of the apu due to"manufacturing issues", it would take apple more than a few weeks to sort that mess out with the volumes they deal with, samsung has a very highly regarded flagship in the gs3, rumours of a gs4 as early as q 2013 and microsoft are making a push. some would wait for apple but plenty won't, because the fashion victims will need somethingnew and shiny to show off.

I know there'd be huge legal implications but they would be years from resolution. samsung is a vast conglomerate from ships to sky scrapers to electronics the loss of a few processor and memory chips wouldn't be that huge due to the volume discounts apple surely negotiate (bully) out of suppliers.

Consumers are fickle, what's fashionable now may be the exact opposite a year later and apple are definitely in fashion. their problem is they make so few products, yes this allows huge economies of scale but it leaves them very vulnerable to changing trends especially given the ridiclous mark ups they make.

Remember how big RIM, Sony, Nokia, Siemens, and now look at HTC, one minute the next big thing now classed as anytging from struggling to terminal decline. Things can change very fast and Samsung shoving things in that direction would be very easy if they were willing to truly play as dirty as apple (you know if the situation were reversed jobs would do it, not sure about tim cook though).

Just to be clear i dont hate apple and I own nothing at all made by Samsung (other than chips), in fact i highly respect their build quality and certain asthetics of apple (i hate to admit that i want a retina macbook soooo bad even though it would be a stupid illogical purchase). what i dislike, like a lot of people i guess is the ridiculous markups, particularly on memory chips, $12 chip for $100 anyone? The prprietry closed wall way their products work, but more than that i absolutely hate and am frankly disgusted by the way the media seem to be completely 100% in love with them, but then again most of the modern media probably think there shiny new apple phone is powered by pixie dust so they'd be shocked if they found out the brain behind said pixie dust is Samsung.

sorry if this turned in to a slight rant, it's not intended to be, i don't want apple to fail, just be knocked down a peg or two, i feel pretty confident in ten years we'll all kniow the phrase "apple bubble", they'll still be a multibillion dollar company, it's just the media will have a new darling and apple will bethe multibillion company with plenty of customers in "permanent decline" ie Sony, HTC, RIM, Nokia, in fact if the press is to be believed there will soon be nothing but Samsung and Apple and they'll spend all there profits on legal fees, time to sit the bar exam i think........or maybe self defence classes for the kicking i'm likely to get, anyway just my opinion and it beats the usual "xxxxxxx Rules and yyyyyyyy is sh*t" on lesser forums.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by geoffmail500 View Post
    hi i'm new so feel free to slap me down, but with the vast resourses (admittedly nowhere near as vast as apple) at samsungs desposal i'd take the hit
    Not quite. Not at the top level of the organisations anyway.

Samsung:
    Revenue - US$ 247.5 billion (2011)
    Net income - US$ 18.3 billion (2011)
    Total assets - US$ 384.3 billion (2011)
    Total equity - US$ 224.7 billion (2011)
    Employees - 344,000 (2010)

Apple Inc.
    Revenue - US$ 108.249 billion (2011)
    Operating income - US$ 33.790 billion (2011)
    Net income - US$ 25.922 billion (2011)
    Total assets - US$ 116.371 billion (2011)
    Total equity - US$ 76.615 billion (2011)
    Employees - 60,400 (2011)

Apple are more profitable (on paper, but that can just be an accounting mechanism), but Samsung are a far larger company which a much further reach than you would imagine. They build ships, oil platforms, electronic components, consumer electronics, medical equipment, communications equipment, and a whole host of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung on Wikipedia
    As of April 2011 the Samsung Group comprised 59 unlisted companies and 19 listed companies, all of which had their primary listing on the Korea Exchange stock-exchange.
    Sources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc.

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 860 @ 3.58GHz (Megahalems + Apache)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Intel X25-M + bunch of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1110 (bit disappointing)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

hi i'm new so feel free to slap me down, but with the vast resourses (admittedly nowhere near as vast as apple) at samsungs desposal i'd take the hit. i think it's too late now but if they'd refused shipment for the ip5 and rumoured mini ipad, with sales of ip4 are in decline as the design is basically 2 years old and people are awaiting a new design, apple are vulnerable.
    Unlike you, I AM staunchly anti-Apple (because all products I have used from them have been overpriced, slow and unreliable). However, I couldn't disagree MORE with this sentiment! A certain way for Samsung to lose the new following they have from Apple's ranks (see iPhone4 sales dipping below SGS3 in the US...) is to stoop to the cretinous lows that Apple loves to use. I don't want to see Samsung countersuing and being petty and bitchy with Apple's supplies, because that would make them as bad as Apple, which I really, really hope they aren't.
    On the whole, the Samsung products I have used (which as has been mentioned above are more numerous and diverse by a country mile) have been stellar performers for really very reasonable prices. In contrast, Apple products have been universally atrocious. If a company is to continue making shoddy products and charging a massive excess for them (and behaving like a petulant 5-year old in the courts...), then it should fail. I certainly won't ever buy anything from Apple with my own money, and I encourage others to come to the same decision

Roo

Thread Information