Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News - Apple iPhone 5 reveal event is on 12th September

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple iPhone 5 reveal event is on 12th September

The new iPhone 5 will be unveiled in San Francisco next week.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Apple iPhone 5 reveal event is on 12th September

I'm calling fake. The spacing on the 'iPhone' text is too spaced out, or at least something doesn't look right.

Thanks
    • Merson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X79-GD85 (8D)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 3930K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Dominator1600Mhz (8-8-8-24)
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Corsair Force GT , 2TB WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 670 Superclocked Signature 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX850
      • Case:
      • Coarsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell UT2412M
      • Internet:
      • UPC 150meg Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmchugh View Post
    I'm calling fake. The spacing on the 'iPhone' text is too spaced out, or at least something doesn't look right.
    Not to mention the font is off.

Also the fact it will be called the five is pretty much confirmed now.

Thanks
    • DannyM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2400
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - PC-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120GB A-Data SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB Nvidia ASUS 560Ti DirectuII
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Dell UltraSharp U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 50Mb Virgin Media Cable Broadband
    Are they not just calling it iPhone?

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Found an error: "Also HTC is also rumoured ..."

Thanks

I for one will be looking closely. To be honest, I am not very exciting about what has been rumoured so far. Larger screen, competition has it. More FB integration only worries me. Dropping the tried and tested Google Map also worries me.

But the worst rumour? Nano-SIM. Mobile Network Operators in Japan milk their consumers for all their worth. The cheapest possible contract is over £18 per month, and it is *far* more restricted than what £10 with Giffgaff or the £6.90 3 package. Actually, it's probably far worse than the worst value entry SIM of any UK provider. And if you have a phone that requires a Micro-SIM? Ha! There is one package that is a "mere" £27 a month. If you can live with 1GB of data in 4 months that is (that's 8.33MB per day - better have decent Wi-Fi access if you want to do more than checking your email. I suspect that it doesn't take heavy FB use to tide over). What happens if you go over 1GB within that period of time? You get wacked with £25 for an extra 1GB. If you want something you can "pay and forget", it starts at £50 for micro-sim. You will still be throttled if you go over 1.2GB per month, but at least the billing is flat rate.. unless you use up all 25 of your free min that is. No, I am not missing a zero or two here. For £50, you get a micro-SIM that gives you 1.2GB of unthrottled bandwidth, and 25 free min. After that you get charged for 17p every 30 seconds. And yes, it goes higher yet. To be honest, compared to the £18 package of a regular SIM (which gives 30min and comes with "unlimited" connection @ 100kps - lol) those "high end" micro-SIM packages are an even bigger rip-off.

Sorry for going off on a tangent but my point is, mobile network and really milk smartphone users. And while it is so far possible to get around the high cost by cutting a regular SIM down to micro-SIM size (if you are willing to put up with a slow, albeit "unlimited" connection), rumour is that it might not be feasible with a nano-SIM. In the short term, I could jump ship, but I have to question is to whether the nano-SIM will remain solely on Apple devices.

7. Received thanks from:

McEwin (05-09-2012)

Thanks
    • CK_1985's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WiFi mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX660ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG-05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Fibre

I had been holding out for this (still on iPhone 4), but now it's almost here I'm actually more excited by the Lumia 920... That's something I never thought I'd say!
    "I want to be young and wild, then I want to be middle aged and rich, then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf..."

my Hexus.Trust

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    I for one will be looking closely. To be honest, I am not very exciting about what has been rumoured so far. Larger screen, competition has it. More FB integration only worries me. Dropping the tried and tested Google Map also worries me.

But the worst rumour? Nano-SIM. Mobile Network Operators in Japan milk their consumers for all their worth.

Sorry for going off on a tangent but my point is, mobile network and really milk smartphone users. And while it is so far possible to get around the high cost by cutting a regular SIM down to micro-SIM size (if you are willing to put up with a slow, albeit "unlimited" connection), rumour is that it might not be feasible with a nano-SIM. In the short term, I could jump ship, but I have to question is to whether the nano-SIM will remain solely on Apple devices.
    From the rumour mill I've seen, it's looking very likely that Nano-SIM will be in, and like you, I doubt that it'll be an "Apple exclusive" for very long - looking at how prevalent the accursed micro-SIM has become. Opinion also seems to be divided as to whether a physical conversion to nano-SIM is possible - with most choosing to say not.

That said, I've little doubt that even that will prevent the usual post-Apple headlines of how it's the best technological device ever, and a month later how it's sales are breaking all records. However, I think Apple are in for a good fight this time - not only are there quite a few good top-end Android phones, but the soon-to-be-launched new Lumia's look pretty special (Dear Microsoft, please, please, please don't screw up Windows Phone 8)

One incidental note; TechRadar notes that August was the first month since its launch that the iPhone 4S wasn’t the biggest selling smartphone in the US. The Galaxy S III pipped it at the post.
    Seen that reported widely, with the rejoinder that it's solely because the SIII is "this year's model" and it's getting some iPhone defectors as solely a stop-gap until the '5 arrives. Personally speaking though, it'd seem daft to me to go to the expense of an SIII with the intention of trading it in six months later.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Personally to me it seems daft to go to for the extreme expense of an iPhone 4S/5 contract for what is in many ways (likely to be) already a compromised device in the light of the competition, so its clear people will do anything just to be 'cool'. Im also not sure when it became 'cool' to be part of the crowd that sticks to the grain and follows the crowd but thats another topic entirely.

Im just waiting to see what other features they call game changing that i used to be able to do on my WinMo 6.5 phone.

That resolution is quite bizzaro, although i can see where they are coming from keeping the phone a 'sensible' size. A lot people are getting used to bigger phones although i think i would be happy with something a tiny bit smaller, perhaps closer to 4" rather than 5".

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Personally to me it seems daft to go to for the extreme expense of an iPhone 4S/5 contract for what is in many ways (likely to be) already a compromised device in the light of the competition, so its clear people will do anything just to be 'cool'. Im also not sure when it became 'cool' to be part of the crowd that sticks to the grain and follows the crowd but thats another topic entirely.

Im just waiting to see what other features they call game changing that i used to be able to do on my WinMo 6.5 phone.

That resolution is quite bizzaro, although i can see where they are coming from keeping the phone a 'sensible' size. A lot people are getting used to bigger phones although i think i would be happy with something a tiny bit smaller, perhaps closer to 4" rather than 5".
    Well my missus has already said she`s gonna get an iphone 5 as soon as they are allowed to(she works for O2 and it seems staff have been told they cant get them until customers have all got them)
    She doesnt care what it looks like or what features all she cares about is that its an iphone

I`m gonna guess that NFC will be something that Apple made and everyone will use. I dont mind this as long as it makes the tech more prevailant and allows me to use my galaxy s3.

I am still waiting for them to do widgets and tell everyone how they came up with the idea ala Video calling and notification bar

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 860 @ 3.58GHz (Megahalems + Apache)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Intel X25-M + bunch of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1110 (bit disappointing)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

I'll have to have a look at this, if only so when I see one in the flesh, I can point at the owner and laugh.

Even if Apple now came out with a good device at a reasonable cost, they've completely blown it as far as I am concerned. I'll never buy an Apple product after the debacle vs Samsung recently, and am oh-so-thankful I never have. Just like watching Big Brother - I've never seen an episode and am proud of that

If I never hear anything of Apple ever again, I shall be a happy man.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I'm looking forward to this - will be pre-ordering as soon as possible for collection at my nearest store, and will be there to get it early on the 21st (assuming that is the final day).

I don't really care if other people think there are better devices out there (since it's all subjective!), or if it has a nano sim (easy to transfer to one of those), or if it doesn't have 2gb of ram, 8 cores, a 5" screen and a space rocket - i'll leave those kind of pointless (to ME, but desireable to many) features to the Android devices of this world. It's part of what they are there for

I really like the iPhone 4, it is still one of the best built phones out there (nothing feels quite as solid and well put together - and yes I have held the S3), but Apple failed miserably to move it on with the 4S, so I skipped that. I jumped to Windows Phone..which wasn't the best idea..I missed too much from my iOS device. I have also recently experimented with Android and whilst it's fun to play with, it just doesn't cut it as high end software and still feels unfinished (again for ME, I am NOT intending to start a debate here).

So I am planning to go and pick up one of these assuming there isn't any bad news - the announced improvements are good (comparing against the 4) and it's now worth the jump.

I can sell my current phone for £250 so that makes it only a £250 spend which is not bad imo, especially as I can keep my current contract and just use the iPhone on there without any bother.

Thanks

What "revolutionary" technolgy is coming with this one then?

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by bendabanga View Post
    What "revolutionary" technolgy is coming with this one then?
    Nothing from what I can tell, although I am sure Apple will claim that it's all new and life changing.

For me, the big (good) changes are:

Bigger screen
    Improved resolution
    Return of the (mostly) metal back

and thats about it that I care about. From what I have seen so far the tweaks are enough - the iPhone 4 was near enough perfect so it doesn't need massive changes

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

FBI will be in attendance and taking names
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

17. Received thanks from:

Agent (05-09-2012)

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Hopefully a change in the edge to edge raised glass of the 4/4S - I've seen so many smashed screens of iphone 4s
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information